It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC man uses bland traffic control equipment to create grand roadside distraction... Jailed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
www.thesmokinggun.com...

...charged with misdemeanor larceny for allegedly building his orange monster from materials pilfered from a construction site. According to an arrest warrant, Carnevale "destroyed three road blocking barrels by cutting and screwing them together to form a statue."

So he "destroyed" three of the innumerable orange reflective barrels and made something that would obviously be more effective at slowing traffic, and was arrested for it.

Just look at the two pictures and decide for yourself whether you'd drive by that thing slower than by three indistinct barrels.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The barrel statue rocks! Unfortunately the artist did damage property that did not belong to him. Maybe he'll get a bit smart and lucky and manage to get the charges dropped by offering to pay for the damages. Then he can just buy barrels, make art, and cash in on his fifteen minutes.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I read the posts, then I thought to myself... how could a barrel statue rock? How could this thing actually be cool. That was when I clicked the link and scrolled down.

AMAZING! Haha why can't he just pay for the barrels, then they pay him to keep his statue, that thing kicks ass.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Seeing that looming up in the dark would make me get in the right lane, pretty sharpish too! I think they should give him a slap on the wrist, make him pay for the barrels, then commission him to do a series of similar sculptures to liven up the roadside.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
If over there's anything like here in the UK, most times there's some roadworks going on, 9 times out of 10 they 'forget' to take some of their signs or bollards or even direction signs, and then they are left there to rust by the side of the road where people can get 'mis-directed' or can't tell if the roadworks are finished even though the roads are fine.

Surely over there in the US there are neglected roadside 'accessories' to make this kind of 'art' out of?

I quite like the statue, trouble is though, if they are still being used then it becomes an offense to destroy them , but if they are left and the workers have moved on then as far as I can determine, then they're up for grabs.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Cool statue. It was better looking than I thought it'd be but he still destroyed someone else's property.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I still think "destroyed" should be replaced by "improved."

Driving by 1000 monotonous cones and 300 boring barrels < Going by 1000 cones, 297 barrels, and an awesome statue.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
A work of art from ugly barrels, how cool is that. Still, vandalism though.
Hamlett construction crews are working at my hubby's workplace and I'm sure the PC's at the mill will be directed to TSG's website today.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Stealing road signs and cones here in the UK is considered a competetive sport amongst most students... it's rare I've seen anything this well done though.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
They should make him pay for the barrels...and then the barrel company should hire him to do this on all their roadside construction sites.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
$120 per barrel?

That seems overpriced doesn't it?

But ya, he shouldn't have used private property to make his art. Looks really good though.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thing is, we're using the term private property as opposed to personal property... yes, he was a bit naughty and realistically this was a criminal offence, but (unfortunately) I can('t) believe anyone is bothering to press charges over this, it's ludicrous ~ at worst a juvenille prank, at best something pretty cool that highlights road safety in a novel way that probably has so much more impact than mundane barrels. The company should sign him up.

As an aside, in my younger days I have done similar things, perhaps more extreme AND been caught by the police in the process of doing so! A measured, responsible and adult attitude by the police of "Put it back, go him and sleep it off" worked wonders, a) I developed more respect for the police as humans and b) didn't waste taxpayers resources on juvenille pranks.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I wish I lived in that State. I would go to his hearing and cheer him on.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zephyrs
Cool statue. It was better looking than I thought it'd be but he still destroyed someone else's property.

Um no. That is HIS property - He pays taxes.

It is my property too, and I support his creation.

I am sick of the .gov thinking They own everything ! We actually Own them!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by zephyrs

Um no. That is HIS property - He pays taxes.

It is my property too, and I support his creation.

I am sick of the .gov thinking They own everything ! We actually Own them!

That's a private company, hired by the state.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

They should let the artist go, adopt the statue as the Public Works mascot, and pay the guy to produce more of the same for other road repair locations. It certainly made that construction site more enjoyable to look at.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
OH....MY.....GOD.

HOW DARE HE??? I mean, with all the crack houses and herione dens out there and this guy has the BALLS to deface a perfectly good roadside barrel???

I think we should make an example out of him and lock his arse up for life!

[edit on 16-6-2009 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
OH....MY.....GOD.

HOW DARE HE??? I mean, with all the crack houses and herione dens out there and this guy has the BALLS to deface a perfectly good roadside barrel???

I think we should make an example out of him and lock his arse up for life!

Noting your sarcasm, I am wondering how you would feel if someone came and stole your property to make their pretty artwork?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Noting your sarcasm, I am wondering how you would feel if someone came and stole your property to make their pretty artwork?

Does the pretty artwork do the job of the property tenfold? Are there thousands of identical pieces of property to fill in the wholes in the lineup anyways?

They're orange reflective barrels, not lawn gnomes.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan

Originally posted by craig732

Does the pretty artwork do the job of the property tenfold? Are there thousands of identical pieces of property to fill in the wholes in the lineup anyways?

Hmm, maybe you are right...

Seeing things your way, I will go to a designer jeans store and steal some of their jeans and wear them.

This way, the same job is being done... getting the designer's name out there and also covering my butt in nice jeans.

Ohh... wait... the designer won't be getting any money for their jeans, just like the contractor who laid out money for the traffic cones is out that money. Hmmph, details!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join