It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Approves Antidepressants for Children, Even After Revelations of Bribery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

FDA Approves Antidepressants for Children, Even After Revelations of Bribery

rinf.com

The FDA has approved Forest Laboratories’ antidepressant Lexapro (escitalopram) for use in children and adolescents, even as the federal government and 11 states have filed a lawsuit against the company for illegally pushing the drug on kids.

The federal government has accused Forest of bribing pediatricians to prescribe Lexapro and a related drug, Celexa (citalopram), to treat depression in children, even though such use had not been approved by the FDA at the time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The company had bribed doctors to push the drug. According to a federal complaint however, Forest has been marketing Lexapro and Celexa to children illegally for at least nine years.

The FDA also approved Lexapro as a way to maintain control of depression symptoms, even though Forest admits there is no clinical evidence for that benefit in children. The FDA argued that it was possible to extrapolate the effectiveness of the drug from adult studies.

rinf.com

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

The company had bribed doctors to push the drug. According to a federal complaint however, Forest has been marketing Lexapro and Celexa to children illegally for at least nine years.

The FDA also approved Lexapro as a way to maintain control of depression symptoms, even though Forest admits there is no clinical evidence for that benefit in children. The FDA argued that it was possible to extrapolate the effectiveness of the drug from adult studies.

rinf.com

Holy Christ. Good article Sonny. It amazes me how people can still support prescription drugs, which I totally blew open in my 7 things thread. There's a select few that help, but that's not the issue. It's the fact that they are illegally pushed and lobbied in, despite unsafe side effects and much much more.

Now we got antidepressants for kids? Are you flipping kidding me? When I was a kid my only worries was, will my dirt bike have enough gas, or is there gonna be mrnoodles in the cupboard when I get home from school... or god forbid I had a "HUGE" poster board presentation at school. Like what the hell! What the hell do kids have to be depressed about???

So lets give them medication? That would surely fix everything up fine, and we won't mention all the increased suicidal tendencies reported among adults after changing dosing.

Good grief, this world is #ed, and it's almost at a point where you gotta say, lets flush it.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It is a sad fact that children are depressed. What can be said of a culture so empty and hopeless that the children are depressed? Well, this is exactly what big pharma wants everyone to think. Since SSRI and SRNI antidepressants are banned for use in children in nearly every country in the world, except the USA, of course they need a new marketing target. We will probably start seeing the commercials advertising this new indication so they can exploit the kids. It is a well established and proven fact that these classes of drugs cause suicide in children. FDA=Fraudulent Drug Adminitration, shame on the FDA for not doing the right thing.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by icenine]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Hi king/

So lets give them medication? That would surely fix everything up fine, and we won't mention all the increased suicidal tendencies reported among adults after changing dosing.

Totally agree with you!
So many People are unaware of the pharmaceuticals and THEIR way of controlling people through their scare tactics!
It may have worked once, but (hopefully)not any more!
It's enough that illegal drugs are 'OUT' there,,the question begged,should be asked,''why would THEY want this''?

helen

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yeah Im sorry but a kid shouldnt be given any prescription pills like this...even if its a fraction of the strength of say a vicodin or xanax this is clearly dangerous...

This will only cause more problems...addictions...and possibly injuries/deaths...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It makes me shudder to think of some guy in a suit leading a meeting where they are talking about "expanding the product into new markets" which is just code words for pushing addicting drugs onto children. It really makes me sad to see what our society is becoming when we have so much potential instead we throw it all away so a select few can live like kings off of the rest of us.

new topics

top topics

join