It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orthodox Jews launch "kosher" search engine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Orthodox Jews launch "kosher" search engine

www.reuters.com

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Religiously devout Jews barred by rabbis from surfing the Internet may now "Koogle" it on a new "kosher" search engine, the site manager said on Sunday.

Yossi Altman said Koogle, a play on the names of a Jewish noodle pudding and the ubiquitous Google, appears to meet the standards of Orthodox rabbis, who restrict use of the Web to ensure followers avoid viewing sexually explicit material.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Koogle? A kosher internet?
This seems the ultimate in censorship but I wonder if
there will evolve a group of Orthodox hackers selling their services so pages with "immodest females" could be viewed and perhaps business transactions could be performed on the Sabbath.

I for one can't even imagine a world without the www. I'm glad the Orthodox Jews can at least have access to something.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is a very interesting post and was unaware that orthodox rabbis forbid surfing by their congregants.

It's sad that they feel they need start this "Koogle," to control what their fellow Jews are viewing. I mean, come on, they don't have faith in their fellow man to resist temptation on their own but they feel the need to suppress their right to free choice. I understand implementing this search engine for children but adults? It is the right of man to choose. If someone wants to complete business on the Sabbath or look at illicit material it is on his or her soul. That is their punishment. However, there is no virtue for the person who resist temptation when the temptation is suppressed.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Wonder how many people will rebel by eating summer sausage or all meat bologna while perusing that site? You know someone is bound to want to make a statement! Any guesses as to what some of them actually looked for?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Next up:

Kosher certification of webpages.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
That prohibition is almost as bad as when the Union of Orthodox Rabbis blackmailed all the major food and beverage companies in the 1980s and 1990s to put the kosher seal on edible products while also paying them a "tithe" for the right, in the millions. Then it progressed to cleaning soaps, tools and all sorts of things that cannot be classified as kosher. Wonder how long it will be before these sites get trademarked and "tithed"?

It is good that some of the rabbis have the chutzpah to try to weasel around the restrictions with an alternative, they are fulfilling an obligation to the religion because education and unimpeded information is a core tenet of Judaism.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Okay here i am,

well the links are working but the search engine might be down or compromised

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well, it (sort of) works in Hebrew, site in English is not finished probably - but it is not real search engine. It searches only certain categories of (presumably kosher) businesses.
And it is pretty buggy, falafel did not work in Hebrew version too.
By the way - i think that name is pretty funny and apropriate, Kugel + google = koogle - site that works just as kugel is edible.
So i cannot use it to find out if ATS is kosher or not.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's a self imposed religious restriction rather than a legal, political restriction. Thus it is none of your concern or business.

If orthodox Jews want to prevent themselves from viewing non-kosher content, is that any different to a parent installing a parental block on their computer to protect their child?

I swear, sometimes the anti-semitism is barely veiled with you people...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Every religion has it's strange and absurd customs. It reminds me of what happened the other day at the park. My little girl was playing with another little girl on the park. I just bought a crate of raspberry, so I offered some to my little girl and her new friend. The little girl just refused, and looked a little bit angry. I taught that her parents have warned her not to accept gift from strangers, but the little girl just said ''No I won't eat that ... it's not kosher'' and left ... What made me laught was just after leaving my girl, she went to see her mom and took a large bag of potato chips ... they must be more kosher than the raspberry.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Is EVERYTHING that goes only as far as disagreeing with either Israel or people belonging to the jewish faith anti-semitism?

dear goddddddd mannn

this is ridiculous!

we really need amendments to ATS's T&C about the usage of that word.
And it's definition NEEDS to be........ IN THE LOGO, in a thread stickied in EVERY section of the site.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
It's a self imposed religious restriction rather than a legal, political restriction. Thus it is none of your concern or business.

If orthodox Jews want to prevent themselves from viewing non-kosher content, is that any different to a parent installing a parental block on their computer to protect their child?

I swear, sometimes the anti-semitism is barely veiled with you people...

Don't you think that excuse has died a lil' while now? "antisemitism", funny, more like way to keep people in line with your agenda. Nobody here prior to that accusation even remotely demonstrated hate for the Jews, they are simply discussing the matter at hand. The accusation of "antisemitism" shouldn't obstruct the reason we are all here, to discuss conspiracies and to act as alternative media, whether you like it or not. This is a conspiracy forum and religions are put under the scope all the time, the majority of users here albeit see no reason Judaism shouldn't be applied the same, it IS religion and a subforum here is even dedicated to conspiracies in religion. You people are using that word, antisemitism, like a censorship button. Get real.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by TravisYah]

top topics

join