It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In wake of mass protests, Iran cuts off cell phones, YouTube, Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

In wake of mass protests, Iran cuts off cell phones, YouTube, Facebook

rawstory.com

The main mobile telephone network in Iran was cut in the capital Tehran Saturday evening while popular Internet websites Facebook and YouTube also appeared to be blocked, correspondents said
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well it would seem between this move and there shut down of the news coming out of that area www.abovetopsecret.com...
something big just might be in the works , or perhaps the current leadership is worried . Either way the next few days will be very telling .

I can't help but wonder if this in some way was helped along by some secret intelligent agency ?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Wanted to add , it would be interesting to see a list of the campaign donors of some of these candidates .

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You cannot sit there with an honest face that Ahmedinajad didn't rig this past election...
Such an act would only qualify for what is going on there and what they are doing now...

Cutting off the internet and cellphone use essentially??? Thats worse than China!

Yet another thing that smells fishy...But just goes to show you you cannot trust any government.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by AceOfAces]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
In the wake of massive civil unrest and protests in the USA what do you think our government would do?

If anything elections in the USA in the past have proven to be far from perfect, depending on your political leaning I'm sure you have seen what could have been fraud.

The Iranian presidential election is totally irrelevant anyway. Iran is a theocracy run by the Ayatollahs... Iran has a supreme leader, leaving Ahmadinejad a completely powerless puppet.

It's a joke!

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think that the current effort will be done in vain , as the information and images will get out .

Was the election rigged ? Perhaps . But the question is how will this develop and how will it unfold ?

I wouldn't put it past Ahmedinajad , or any number of other potential candidates , of being capable of such an act .

How will it develop and who will benefit ? Who knows at this point .

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish
They would do that, definitely if more than tens of thousands of protesters, the numbers depending on who you ask, rioted on the streets.

What's different is that here, once people lose, even by a suspect election, they give up because they are complacent, but in Iran right now, they can't accept the results, and Ahmadinejad does have an equal or greater fan base and on the other side the remaining 40% juiced up on 'Change' and 'Hope'

I think it's a really bad idea for them to cut out cellphone and internet use, it makes them look like the bad guys, but they may be genuinely concerned if people are using them to try stage an coup. Filipinos once fueled an coup using cellphones to recruit.

The mullahs and the powerful Iran Revolutionary forces rules Iran just as the military industrial complex and the banksters rules America, The latter is the worst and the producer of the previous.

The mullahs knows that America is just hankering for its oil fields and Israel hard up to vanquish their old foes, and their jobs at stake, so they are hunkering down. They are digging down like moles and pulling out all avenues to resist the Western values invasion.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
The mullahs and the powerful Iran Revolutionary forces rules Iran just as the military industrial complex and the banksters rules America, The latter is the worst and the producer of the previous.

Just to clear this up a bit more, it really doesn't matter who won the election for president of Iran... It is a symbolic public relations position ONLY he has NO real powers at all.

The Ayatollahs run Iran, they have a supreme leader that is not elected. They have ALL of the power.

While I am impressed with the Iranian people and their protesting what they see as a fraudulent election result, it really is protest that is ultimately misplaced when the end result of the election would have done nothing to change power in Iran in the slightest way no matter who won!

The election, and the Iranian presidency are an illusion.

These people are protesting the election of a powerless puppet... They dare not directly oppose the Ayatollahs.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
yes, the Ayatollahs Chose Ahmdinejad.

The people will either overthrow the Ayatollah and replace the government, or they will accept Ahmadinejad.

there's no middle ground.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
In the wake of massive civil unrest and protests in the USA what do you think our government would do?
[edit on 14-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

I don't think Iran has blocked communication to stop information getting out, but rather to stop information getting in. Whether the election was a fraud or not would hardly matter. Purely because Mr Dinnerjacket is not a friend of the United States. So regardless, there is going to be propaganda. And he doesn't want his people reading it.

Now don't take what I've said as my opinion. I think the election was a fraud. But I recognize that I'm viewing Iran using the western media as a proxy, so my opinion is invalid.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Looking like there will be much turmoil for a long time now in Iran. On a lighter note, did anyone notice the ad on the link page, It was another link for a Muslim singles service. I had to click out of curiosity. Pretty different from any singles/dating service on the net or tv, with the exception of all the women having their heads covered up, but the men were wearing regular clothing, some are shirtless, ect. I could not imagine living in a society where I were forced to cover my head all the time, or wearing dress that supresses my womanly curves, ect.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
They cut off all forms of communications that the protesters may have used to coordinate demonstration times,places.strategies etc.Very effective while the authorities run around arresting the biggest threats i guess.

new topics

top topics

join