It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul on Government Regulation Of Tobacco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Found this video and thought i would share it. As usual, i agree with him: we're becoming a nanny state. I don't need the government to tell me what i should and shouldn't be putting in my body. I am an adult.

I do believe we are headed toward prohibition part two (or three if you count the drug war) and Ron Paul is right: it's not going to work. The last thing we need is another black market. These regulations are getting out of control.

TA

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What you want is balance, too much regulation is definitely not good. But too few will lead to chaos and anarchy.

People as a whole is always first, not the constitution, constitution is just a tool, not the goal.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well, I am a smoker on the verge of quitting. I understand the role the US is taking about smoking, though. It's not about controlling what goes into your body for your sake. It is controlling what is going into your body so that other people don't have to pay your bills when you get sick and can't afford to pay the medical fees.

I don't think tobacco is the real nanny state issue here. He is right in principle, though. Too much government regulation of our lives. Humans grow and evolve through conflict and challenges. We need to swing towards less regulation and more free information if we want to advance socially.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
i smoke. it's my choice to do so. i have to pay more in taxes because of it. so if i were religious. and it were my choice to be so. i don't have to pay more taxes because of it. if i were obese because of my choice in diet with fastfood and processed foods, i don't have to pay more in taxes.
i'm trying to illustrate if you're going to demonize a particular group, at least demonize the other groups who make just as unhealthy decisions...
or! leave it the hell alone.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I agree that it is stupid to regulate tobacco or alchohol. If people choose to kill themselves slowly... let them. We already force some of these large corporations to put warning lables on the front of them, in what is to be one of the most information availability nations in the world (people can educate their own selves) I dont see the necessity.

Let people decide their own fates. And while your at it legalize marijuana so we can get the drug war done and dusted with.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm playing "devil's advocate" here on this topic. Just imagine that the entire medical industry was owned and operated by the same few people who run the oil/gas and energy industry. Keep in mind the fact tobacco has so many health issues it's not even funny. If one were able to calculate the loss of revenue to the medical industry if tobacco were outlawed, or as it's headed, being priced out of business, the loss of profit I'm sure would be astronomical. Let's just say the "Rockefellows", "Rothchildren", and all the other "Builderburgers", (sarcasm intended), owned all the medical industry. Do you believe we would even be discussing this tobacco topic right now? He11, we could probably buy a carton of cigarettes for the price of a pack right now, that's if they weren't being given out for free. Money, money, money, that's all anything comes down to in today's world. (I meant no disrespect to the families/organizations noted above, they were only used as examples as I'm jealous of anyone who has more money than I do.)

Peace Everyone,
CBS

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
what I think is so funny is that it seems....to ME...that obviously most people think if you eat healthy, exercise, and don't have any bad habits you will never COST anyone else...anything...as if these people with all the GOOD habits will never get sick, feeble, or die.

A certain old relative of mine, lol, is 72, and he ran marathons most of his life, never smoked, drank, and ate very little meat.

All the running gave him severe arthritis in his late 40s in his back, hips,knees. Both knees have been replaced since he retired.

Know how many senior citizen women on medicare he is still giving herpes too? You know how much the antivirals are? And oh, you should have SEEN him laying in the hospital bed when the electrical system in his heart crapped out. "But doc, I did everything right."

And he's cost the taxpayers a ton, been in the hospital 4-5 times just this year with atrial fib.

In terms of a balance sheet, I think we'd have all been better off if he'd died of lung cancer at 62.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I amazed to see that he mentions the idea of the "nanny state"..

Yes this has gotten out of control and it willl most likely lead to prohibition as he mentioned. Another cheers for Dr. Ron.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

We already force some of these large corporations to put warning lables on the front of them, in what is to be one of the most information availability nations in the world (people can educate their own selves) I dont see the necessity.

Couldn't agree more.

The problem is that people don't want to take personal responsibility for their actions. They whine and gripe and moan when harm comes to them through their own actions and TPTB use that as an excuse to exert more control over our lives through regulations like these. The government loves irresponsible citizens: they give them the sanction needed to run the Constitution through the shredder.

TA

join