It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars, Flags, and of course Points ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Although I have been here a very long time, .... lurking, somewhere behind you. The significance of stars, flags and points is lost on me. ... Some people would say I'm too lazy too look it up myself, .... while, some people think cucumbers taste better pickled. So at the risk of sounding slightly under par, I ask:

Would you be my yoda, and help me understand these mysterious forces ?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Stars are given to you by other members for individual posts. They're supposed to be a way of acknowledging a well written or well researched post that makes a good point or helps advance the collaborative research of the thread. Or they can be a way to say 'Good job' for the original post on a thread.

Flags help bring attention to threads. Only the authors of the threads can receive them, while subsequent replies to the thread can receive stars.

Points can be accumulated in a number of ways and may be used to purchase things in the ATS store like profile background colors or extra u2u space.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bong Sau
What you think of as "Pickled Cucumbers" are actually "Gherkins".

You're obviously confusered ... you clearly mean cornichons.

Stars are to highlight a quality post.
Flags are to highlight a quality thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Points are for me.

[edit on 14 Jun 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

In addition to what many members already said, points can also be a show of "member respect or contribution" to ATS. Members who have many points are ones who usually post excellent and mature responses or threads. They also often show how much a member has contributed to the site. Of course this is all IMHO.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

... Members who have many points are ones who usually post excellent and mature responses or threads. They also often show how much a member has contributed to the site. Of course this is all IMHO.

Thankfully that just your opinion. Most points come from making a post or the points the thread owner receives for others posting replies. Sheer volume with a few exceptions. A reply, quality in someone's opinion or not, scores the same.

Putting an hot topic in current events in breaking news can score huge points with not other action by the OP.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Yes but applauses' are 500 points each one. So say a member has 70 applauses', well that is 35,000 points right there. Also tinwiki contributions garner large point rewards of up to 10,000 points per entry. Debates garner large point rewards among other things.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I think you will find that the cult/tribal mentality is in operation on ATS with
friends staring and flagging their friends for threads and posts that have no real socially redeeming value and aren't even clever or funny.

The Peter Principle works as well here as in any corporate setting.

Of course that's just my opinion.

I flagged this thread. Will you be my friend?

[edit on 14-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I will not be bribed or bought,..... however, in light of the small amount of " swagga" you exhibit. .... consider it a deal !!!!

new topics

top topics

join