It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea warns Seoul of nuclear war following UN sanctions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As usual the 23 million regular people who live in North Korea are simply being factored-out becuase of the rantings of a handful of miscreants. That country, as all countries, is full of people just trying to put food on the table and watch their children grow up. They don't have ny say in this chess game and likely harbor no realanimosities to the outseide world. Yet some people here don't give a damn about turning their country, their homes and families, into a multi-generational wasteland. Where their current sorry lot is looked back upn fondly as the 'golden years' as starvation, cancer, sickness and horrible deaths is what they have to look forward to. There's a reason nukes haven't been used since August 1945. And when the day comes when we finally forget that lesson we're all truly screwed.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I agree with jtma508...

When you forget what history has taught us, you end up making the same mistakes.....

Interesting how when Sadam supposedly had Weapons of Mass Destruction, we invaded and took over because we "thought he had 'em" AND here we have a guy who regularly tests ballistic missiles and out right says he's gonna build nukes and we haven't done a thing....

I have a feeling the SEALS are being called to duty on this one

[edit on 15-6-2009 by i_want_the_truth]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They say that past behaviors are the most reliable predictors of future behavior. So in actual warmongering behavior lets see who is most likely to start wars. Here are list of military conflicts that include invasions and interventions since the formation of the DPRK.

U.S. - 1. Lebanon (1958)
2. Bay of Pigs (1961)
3. Vietnam (1961-1973)
4. Dominica Republic (1965)
5. Libya (1981)
6. Lebanon (1982-1984)
7. Libya (1986)
8. Grenada (1983)
9. Iran "Operation Earnest Will" (1987-1988)
10. Panama (1989)
11. Iraq "Operation Desert Storm" (1991)
12. Somalia (1992-1994)
13. Bosnia "Operation Deliberate Force" (1994-1995)
14. Haiti (1994)
15. Afghanistan and Sudan(1998)
16. Kosovo (1999)
17. Afghanistan "Operation Enduring Freedom" (2001-present)
18. Iraq "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (2003-present)
19. Haiti (2004)
20. Somalia Civil War intervention (2006-present)

North Korea - 1. South Korea (1950-1953)

Now if you ask me, the DPRK has a lot more to worry about than the US. Developing a nuclear weapon is a mandatory means of deterrent from an invasion of a foreign entity. The DPRK are antagonized for not following the orders of the US and other "big" countries, the human rights violations are nothing but secondary arguments used when imperialist morons have nothing else to say. I find it hilarious when some Americans refer to the leaders of Iran, Venezuela, and NK as some psychopaths who lost their marbles and have no rationality left in them. Is it really because they are crazy or is it because they won't be submissive and servile to your country? The dangerous ones are not these "rogue" countries, but the ones who antagonize them like little children bullying others on a playground for not conforming.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

Well Chuck, I'm no pollyanna when it comes to the United States. We screw-up, do arrogant stupid things and habitually stick our collective nose where it does not belong. But apart from your argument of us being a trouble maker, there is an issue with NK's leadership. Hiding behind a communist facade the upper echelon live abundant, opulent lives while the population is literally starved, isolated and controlled in a fuedal manner. So yes, if failing to show humanity to people for whom you are wholly responsible is psychopathic, or at least sociopathic --- and I, for one, beieve it is --- then Kim is most definitely in that category. Sure, he may be paranoid about the U.S. invading to steal his, oh I don't know rocks or something, but there is no excuse for his complete disregard of his citizens. That is inexcusable.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Nothing will happen.

NK has no intentions of going to war with anyone, they are not a foolish government, they must realise that Japan, SK, and the US, Japan in particular, are all itching to sort out the North once and for all. China and Russia, NK's only international allies have strongly condemned their recent actions.

They stand to gain nothing from war.

What we are witnessing is the NK government drumming up national support, aka. fear, in preparation for the transfer of power from Kim Jung-Il to his youngest son Kim Jung-Un. Sauce

North Korean people have grown up to accept fear and power as authority, the government must employ this facade now for the dynasty to maintain authority.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by DrChuck

Well Chuck, I'm no pollyanna when it comes to the United States. We screw-up, do arrogant stupid things and habitually stick our collective nose where it does not belong. But apart from your argument of us being a trouble maker, there is an issue with NK's leadership. Hiding behind a communist facade the upper echelon live abundant, opulent lives while the population is literally starved, isolated and controlled in a fuedal manner. So yes, if failing to show humanity to people for whom you are wholly responsible is psychopathic, or at least sociopathic --- and I, for one, beieve it is --- then Kim is most definitely in that category. Sure, he may be paranoid about the U.S. invading to steal his, oh I don't know rocks or something, but there is no excuse for his complete disregard of his citizens. That is inexcusable.

Haha and how about our government, politicians, and CEO's who are in bed with the former live? Do they not live opulent lives compared to the average American? I guess because the scraps we are left fighting for are so much greater than those of the North Korean people we are viewed as blessed economically? While the NK's go to work like dogs working in mines and physical labor we work like dogs punching the clock or sitting behind a desk. But we are both people serving as slaves for our elected body. Your statement is complete hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by i_want_the_truth
I have a feeling the SEALS are being called to duty on this one

This is not a Tom Clancy novel.

A paranoid regime, with a nuclear arsenal, million man army and 10,000 artillery stations on the border with South Korea - Seoul is within in range.

Pre-emptive strike is -according the Russians- being considered by the Pentagon.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

This is not a Tom Clancy novel.

A paranoid regime, with a nuclear arsenal, million man army and 10,000 artillery stations on the border with South Korea - Seoul is within in range.

Pre-emptive strike is -according the Russians- being considered by the Pentagon.

I was merely saying that Nuclear War is unacceptable. Read my previous posts to have a better understanding of what I was saying.

The fact that a country will threaten Nuclear War to state its objectives and responses ahead of time clearly indicates irresponsibility. And other measures (pre-emptive or not) should be called into action.

Thats all I meant.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I was very curious about this "maybe 20 bombs" thing. I wanted to know the sq. miles of North Korea.

en.wikipedia.org...

Then I wanted to compare that for fun next to my home state.

en.wikipedia.org...

Then I needed to figure out how many bombs would wipe the places out. Based on this figure...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abombdamage1945.svg

the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki had damaging impacts ranging to light damage out to 98.47 square kilometers. The quick math says that it would take about 1224 Hiroshima-era bombs to damage every square kilometer of North Korea.

However...the bombs of that era are long gone. The Hiroshima bomb "Little Boy" was rated at 13 kilotons. The current W88 warhead is rated at 475 kilotons. A single Trident II missile can have up to 8 warheads. That's an effective impact of 3800 kilotons.

en.wikipedia.org...

At that rating, it would take 31.72 missiles to impact the entire country.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It may sound mean, but I am really fed up. Perhaps we do need somebody to drop an N bomb in this day and age for everybody to understand the reprocussions.

Dude I nearly choked on my cheese butty at that one, dropping bombs is not an option ever. if humanity couldn't understand the repercussions following Hiroshima and Nagasaki, well then there's not much hope of ever understanding.

So what is it exactly that North Korea has that US want so badly ?

Or do they just need war to keep the economy going and test their "wonderful toys"?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

However...the bombs of that era are long gone. The Hiroshima bomb "Little Boy" was rated at 13 kilotons. The current W88 warhead is rated at 475 kilotons. A single Trident II missile can have up to 8 warheads. That's an effective impact of 3800 kilotons.

Just when I was feeling a little safer because I'm all the way over here, you came up with that.

Well thank you very much, for scaring the crap out of me after I read the thread " make someones day" and was thinking all positive and that.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Ah, don't worry. I'm sure they don't have anything that's that powerful. I'm pretty sure they shot their wad on the big test.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Do you have a source on that I would just like to read up on it. Thank you

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

At that rating, it would take 31.72 missiles to impact the entire country.

OK that was pretty quick math. I thought about 20 to take care of most of their cities.

That's actually pretty good reasoning though!

[edit on 15-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

What's known about missile shield in Hawaii

Washington - A missile defense system yet to be tested in battle could be thrust to the forefront to protect US soil amid concerns that North Korea may be preparing a missile strike that could hit Hawaii.

An unconfirmed Japanese media report said recently that Pyongyang was considering a test-fire of its Taepodong-2 ballistic missile in early July that could be within range of the Hawaiian islands. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the Pentagon is watching the situation "very closely" and is confident of being able to shoot down anything lobbed toward the US.

As a precaution, Mr. Gates has ordered a portable missile defense system called the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense System, or THAAD, to be redeployed on Hawaii. A sea-based sensor system known as SBX, which is designed to alert defense systems to an airstrike within seconds, is also part of the deployment.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The real danger is that Iran and NK are working together on these things. Iran already has ICBM capabilities through its satellite launches.

On Monday, February 2, Iran successfully launched a small satellite into low-earth orbit, in what represents a major step forward for the Iranian missile program. Rocket technology is transferable, of course, and the technical ability to place a satellite in low orbit is closely related to the ability to deliver a warhead over a long distance, even intercontinental distance. There are many similarities between the booster technology for missiles and that for space programs. Ballistic missiles are in a sense space weapons, as warheads spend most of their time traveling outside the atmosphere.
www.missilethreat.com...

And of course we know that NK has tested the nuke side of the equation. Put the two together and we could face the EMP threat spelled out in the 2004 Report to Congress.

Several potential adversaries have or can acquire the capability to attack the United States with a high-altitude nuclear weapon-generated electromagnetic pulse (EMP). A determined adversary can achieve an EMP attack capability without having a high level of sophistication.
EMP is one of a small number of threats that can hold our society at risk of catastrophic consequences. EMP will cover the wide geographic region within line of sight to the nuclear weapon. It has the capability to produce significant damage to critical infrastructures and thus to the very fabric of US society, as well as to the ability of the United States and Western nations to project influence and military power.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Of course in my mind there's always the possibility that Russia and China are involved via these proxies along side trade and economic warfare activities.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
At least we know where their nuclear testing will be done.
That will be the day the NK launches a warhead.
Sort of like when we fired the Atomic cannon.
The NK nation will respond to a South Park low e note.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join