It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eateries that could go under

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Eateries that could go under

finance.yahoo.com...

Restaurants on the Ropes
Rick Newman
On Friday June 12, 2009, 11:05 am EDT
Buzz up!Print.When Americans get stressed out, one thing they do is eat. But apparently not enough.

The dismal economy has punished retailers, with companies like Circuit City and Linens 'n Things going extinct and dozens of others losing money. Now it's hitting their cousins in the restaurant industry, too. The Bennigan's and Steak & Ale chains were early casualties, going belly up last summer. This year, with Americans cutting back on spending, sales at restaurants could fall by 10 percent or more. Ana
(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit: fix link

[edit on 14-6-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hate to bring more potentially bad news on the ecnomy but....Dang I love Krispy Kreme, Marie Calendar's, El Torito, heck, I love food period! Just another sign that the economy is not getting better. Small towns will dry up. Don't know if we'll ever recover. Everybody watch around you home town and see what business go close down. Post on this site. When big companies go down does it not start a snowball effect? I'll be watching and waiting.

finance.yahoo.com...

mod edit: fix link

[edit on 14-6-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sorry, my grammar is not 100%.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It would be helpful to post a solid good link, directing it to Yahoo just brings the main page. Please post a direct link!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
In my city the local Burger King closed its doors! Couldn't believe it as there is a Wienerschnizel right next door that nobody would ever miss. All the other biggies are hanging in there though.

Try this:

finance.yahoo.com... .v=2

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You mean there will be less places that serve sub-standard food, at high prices?

You mean that people will actually need to dine at home, buy their products, cook and spend time with each other?

Ohh no, what ever will American do?

Come on folks, there is no need to worry here, other than the job losses this is great for the average American. All that money being spent in restaurants will simply go the produce sales and people will be cooking more.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

High prices? Have you checked the Supermarkets lately? I can eat out at a fast food place for way less than it costs me to cook. But, because I won't eat that crap, and I'm a chef, I cook anyway...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyeyes

Hate to bring more potentially bad news on the ecnomy but....Dang I love Krispy Kreme, Marie Calendar's, El Torito, heck, I love food period! Just another sign that the economy is not getting better. Small towns will dry up. Don't know if we'll ever recover. Everybody watch around you home town and see what business go close down. Post on this site. When big companies go down does it not start a snowball effect? I'll be watching and waiting.

www.yahoo.com

There are very few things in life about which I use the expression "better than sex" and actually mean it.

Krismy Kreme is one of them.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Depends what your buying, being a chef you choose expensive items, which have to be imported so yes, there are higher prices, but that's only because there is less demand.

Food is much better when prepared by you, regardless of how much you paid or the ingredients used I find.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Starbucks has a rather insidious business practice of opening more shops in a given area than it can support. This drives all the independent coffee shops out of business, because they don't have the cash to run non-profit-making stores as long as Starbucks does. So Starbucks "starves 'em out." like a seige of a castle, even though it will be losing some money on its less productive shops in the region. But once the major independent competitors are gone, Starbucks can then close several of its less productive shops and reap large profits at the more productive ones, having established a virtual monopoly on coffee shops at a given area by starving out the competition.

Thus, not all store closings are signs of desperation...I wonder how many of these other chains follow that very effective Starbucks strategy. Nevertheless, in the current economy, its reasonable to assume closings are simply signs of money-losing businesses.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Not only are the eateries going under. Take a one hour drive around ANY small or meduim town anywhere in the US, and you will be shocked at the ammount of "space for lease" signs.
The commercial real estate bust is next on the agenda. I heard a significant news story the radio the other day. The second largest mall developer in the US just declared bankruptcy. They owned over 300 malls throughout the US. This is big folks.
I'm sure more eateries will fall, as well as retail businnesses. This is just the start of the bust cycle. The depression of the 30's isn't going to have nothing on this current depression.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Sorry about that here is the other link. Its also under Yahoo.com in the life tab on their main page.

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mrpotatohead

You may quite possibly be right. God, I hope your wrong. Along with the economy slipping away, so will peace. Everyone knows that the economy has a direct effect on the crime rate. Bad economy=high crime rate. I urge everyone to start paying attention to their surroundings, know who is in your personal space. Ladies, keep your purses on your shoulder and closed. Keep you belongings locked. Contemplate getting a good guard dog.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Hey I agree. It's cheap to eat fast food. It's expensive to eat healthy. Almost seems like the powers that be want you to eat yourself do death. Everything that is good for you is expensive, everything that is bad for you is cheap.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

Exactly, The big fast food chains all have "Dollar Menus" if you want to eat cheap, you can...but you will Pay for it!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have found that in discussions between healthy and unhealthy foods people always state that unhealthy foods are cheaper and someone always says that this is not true. While there are certain healthy foods that are cheap I find that overall foods that are healthy (such as organic items) tend to be more expensive. On that note, if we go with the cheapest meals then the unhealthy still wins because I say Raman. I eat them because they are cheap easy to make and provide me with carbs (I run quite a bit) however they are lacking in the nutrition department. On a side note, I do strongly agree with you that people should stay home and cook their own meals and spend time together.

To the OP I find that this article saddening. I live in a college town so the recession doesn't effect us quite as much but our local restaurants are taking a little hit. We had a nice casual eatery called Village Whine and Cheese which went out of business. There was also a great sub shop called Grinders which went out of business. On the other hand McDonald's torn down one of their older locations and built a new one in the same spot. I don't know if the information is still accurate but McDonald's the last time I checked was doing quite well with the recession.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

HHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAA!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Right, the article posted by Yahoo.com stated that chains like McDonald's weren't expected to lose and may even gain because of the fact that they offer ample portions at value prices.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
There are very few things in life about which I use the expression "better than sex" and actually mean it.

Krismy Kreme is one of them.

This is categorically incorrect. Either your town's Krispy Kreme's have some kind of mind altering drug in them, or perhaps you're doing it wrong.

Either way...just doesn't compute.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Along these lines...

One of my best friends is a bartender at one of those combination mid-priced food / bar chain operations (Think an apple and then a stinging insect). For a few months now he's been rolling in the money, complaining about how hard his job has gotten lately. He says that food sales are going down drastically but that alcohol sales are soaring. So maybe the days of ordering a McVodka are on the horizon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join