It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go ahead, make THEIR day.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Well to each their own. No one should be forced into a social situation if they do not feel comfortable being in one. I myself prefer socializing, to an extent, but I also require my own ME TIME, and do not want to be bothered by anyone. But when I am immersed in a public and thus social situation I wil always try to be social to some extent, it is healthy IMO, and polite for reasons specified in the OP and many others. Humans are a social species, always have been, that is how we survived for so long and evolved from primates (also social). I see no reason we will not continue to be unless we become extinct (
). Another reason I like to at least make passing conversation while in any social setting because it alienates you and others much less, in other words it 'just feels right'. Although I do suffer from mild Agoraphobia, it has gotten better and socializing helps, so does certain medications.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
For Everything Else, There's Mastercard®

A smile for everyone you meet: $0.00

A kind word when it's needed: $0.00

Not sweating the small stuff: $0.00

Feeling good about yourself and everyone around you: Priceless.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I guess it truly is love that makes the world go round,,,who would have thought?Perhaps that same love could help us in our times of debate that we feel very strongly about.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Honestly I used to be like that. Saying hi, trying to make people smile, trying to help people out even at times to the detriment of my own well being and my life has been an endless road of disappointments and bad luck. Now I keep to myself because nothing seems worthwhile. I'm not even expecting nice treatment back from people. I used to survive by making people happy even though my life was a terrible waste but now I have lost all hope and faith in such things and am just existing and waiting to die if ofcourse I don't make another attempt at my life. Sorry if anything I said seems inappropriate to some but I just wanted to add my two cents. There are good everyday people out here who don't receive anything from good karma. Now I just stay at home and keep to myself as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Have you ever have someone hold the door for too long?

You're like fifteen steps away, and at first you want to hurry,
but you hadn't wanted to hurry, and then you hurry, and then
you speed thru with your best smile, and then you're
moving at a different pace, and everything is coming
up fast, and you're handling it, and everything's cool,
and then you turn a corner and smack into a tree...
or something.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I was leaving the beach the other day, got across the sand and walking up the steps ... a young guy walking up a few paces behind me sat down on the steps and exclaimed, 'man I need some water', I turned around, walked down a couple steps and handed him my bottle of water.

If I could have taken a picture of the surprise on his face, I would have. He was shocked and happy all at once. And selfishly, I felt awesome, too!

What you do to another, you do to yourself! I always smile at people. It's contagious

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

send a couple grand my way...now that would be a great feeling

and, no, I promise I won't think you're hitting on me

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I almost always try to do this. The only interruptions in my ongoing comedic lifestyle is when I am having one of those visits from "Old Man Murphy". On those days, I just try to avoid people. I would rather infect them with joy than my depressive demeanor.

Typically, I do goofy things. I have stared straight at someone with a smile on my face, waiting on that eye contact. It doesnt always work, but most of the time, I see them crack a smile even when they dont want to.

At work, when people are frustrated and ready to go home, I use things like "it could be worse, you could be just getting here" which tends to show them that they are climbing out of, not into, the day and that helps.

As it has been said, I firmly believe that the meaning of life is LOVE. Every emotion, good and bad, can be traced back to LOVE. Even HATE is on LOVE. Spreading that to those you encounter is what makes your life worth living. Denying it to yourself and others is what makes people jump off of bridges and fire rifles from bell towers.

Spread LOVE and it will be spread to you.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Coming through my teens I was pretty misanthropic, but I've mellowed with age a fair bit and become friends with some people I'd never have expected... I do randomly try to be nice to people and smile at them. Maybe it doesn't always work (I'm a skinhead with tattoos on my neck and hands - good ones)...

Where I work I'm always the one that'll take time with customers and all the old people seek me out to help them, my boss doesn't understand it, he's a fairly unpleasant guy - but it does make a big difference and I usually go home happy and the other week a nice old man brought me in a nice bottle of wine to say thanks for being helpful, I was really touched by HIS kindness.

[edit on 16/6/0909 by jokei]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
~ George Eliot

Indeed, I try to do the right thing everyday and to be good to all people.

sadly a lot of people have an ego that only cares for themselves.

I hope one day it will change, but with the media brainwashing people into super consumers I doubt that.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Life is much better for everyone if you go out of your way to make someone elses day better.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Thanks to the contributions in this thread. Some great ideas I hadn't thought of but will sure to use.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
out of all the threads i have read this is by far the best one
karma is real no matter what religion or frame of mind you have and if half of us did this the other half would eventually come around and the world would be a better place for you and me and they and them and etc etc its contagious

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Everyone should like this Rap Music Video by a Tibetan Lama lol on this subject:

(click to open player in new window)

Listen to it, its got a twist at the end, great.

...........................................................................................................

reply to post by chronox12

Originally posted by chronox12
Honestly I used to be like that. Saying hi, trying to make people smile, trying to help people out even at times to the detriment of my own well being

Chronox this happens a lot, you wanted to give so much you gave to much as such, and forgot you have to give to yourself to, make yourself smile to, try and find a balance.

and my life has been an endless road of disappointments and bad luck.

Serve your own basic needs and wants first, make yourself happy, then you find yourself in a better psotition to help others..

Now I keep to myself because nothing seems worthwhile. I'm not even expecting nice treatment back from people.

But to the people you made happy and helped it did make a differance, the secret is to do it as you say expecting nothing back, just doing it because it makes them happy and positive, Their Joy is your reward as such.

even though my life was a terrible waste but now I have lost all hope and faith in such things

Your life is as important as everyone elses, and it has not been a waste think of all the people you helped that is great.

and am just existing and waiting to die

Are we not all eh... and filling the bits between birth and that event with as much meaning for others and ourselves as possible.

There are good everyday people out here who don't receive anything from good karma.

Ah this is where many in the West use the term and dont really know how it works...Karma 101 here:

It very very rarely manifests much the actions in this lifetime in this lifetime.... this is why it can seem "Bad things happens to good people".... it is Karma from previous lives... so if you want to know what type of life you will have in the next incarnations, dont look at your current material, physical or such like situation,

But look at what you think do and say Now...

You can not run from the good actions and kindess you showed, however you could also stop of inhibit manifestations of some good things happening in your life if you act in a very negative mind set and way for a long time....

Now I just stay at home and keep to myself as much as possible.

Hey get out there, you have much to give, to experience and do....
Go and have some fun and I am sure soon something will happen to restore your faith in things.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, I found it interesting.

Kind Regards

Elf

[edit on 19-6-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's what the poster (interpid) was trying to say, but correct me if I'm wrong. The point is that when you're in public space and are expecting interaction just be friendly, being compassionate for others. You don't have to sacrifice all your comfort to show some kindness, hold the door open, compliment a stranger, etc.

But I definitely understand people who don't like talking to every stranger, I don't. But those few interactions I do have I try to make memorable and enjoyable for those around me.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think this could go one step further. I miss the days when communities were truly communities - that everyone in the community would live together, having to share the same area they naturally help the one another in general. From picking up trash, letting a neighbor know of something suspicious, so on.

I know it's probably a dream, but the helpful hands of many make the load lighter.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
I decided to test this today, and I just got back from the store where I picked up the stuff needed to make chili dogs for dinner.

When I got to the check out the young lady asked me how I was doing and I responded with "I'm constipated" ... Of course she laughed, and tried to cover it up, I interrupted her laughter with "it gets better, your smile just made my day" .... She then gave me my total, I handed her the cash, and as soon as she collected my change from the register I walked away telling her to keep the change... which was EXACTY 27 cents.

As I was turning toward the exit I looked back and she was standing there holding the change and laughing uncontrollably, I must admit it made my day, making someone laugh was more rewarding than I expected, I'll have to try this again sometime.

Well i tried it yesterday
that's a goood one as it well and truly suits my personality......shame about one thing she was not alowed to keep the change ,,,,,,so fed a random parking meter again..lol

Little acts like this can i believe make a differance to the big Picture WE can change all this,,,,i would like to add on a personal point that after doing this for a while made me feel better sure,, for that moment but the amazing thing was the conviction i also felt maybe guilt that i could make that effort for a random stranger but not at home.

i tell my wife she is or looks beautiful and i love her every day,i always tell her i love her but now i tell her i LOVE her if you know what i mean!! lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
OP is right. even if karma doesent get you back for being a good person the moment you make someones day it will make YOU feel better. This is what i believe christianity and all the ahbrahamic religons try to teach us. Another point is that if you as a person cant interact on a positive level with strangers you should have yourself checked for mental disorder. My mother is very withdrawn and does not communicate well. Shes a wounderful person and has a great personality but she withdraws into her own reality. Sad though because it seems she understands what the NWO and such things are but really cant actualize it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
i cannot agree more! i to believe in Karma, for i was taught it was true the hard way. could be a coinsodince, or as i like to call, law of attraction, but it sure does make you feel good, and connected. i love the magic of communication, it provokes so much good, sadly bad to, but lets look at the glass half full on this thread

good post! i did like it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join