Go ahead, make THEIR day.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Karma builds up throughout your lifetime and you don't get "paid-off" until your next life.

This is the reason why the premise in "My Name is Earl" does not work.

If you do something good today and something good happens to you tomorrow. That is not the Karma you got from the day before but Karma brought through from your previous life.

Just be good for the sake of being good and the world will eventually follow suit.

Just like you say, sometimes I'm nice not because I'm in a good mood but because I realize there is no need to "spread" my bad mood on others. Instead try and let others "spread" their good mood onto you

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
He He
i like to be sneeky when it comes to random acts of kindness for example i will top up parking meters with any loose change i have.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is a great thread, simple idea that can really make a difference if you let it.

I was an EXTREMELY outgoing and social kid, anywhere my parents took me I ended up with a little group of new friends by the time we left. I was a very "Hi whats your name, where ya from, whatcha doin, whatcha want to be doin?" in-your-face kind of kid.

That all changed instantly when I was put on meds for supposedly having ADHD. I became really serious, lost all sense of humor, sullen quiet and withdrawn. I hated eye contact, being looked at, addressed in front of other people, talking to strangers, etc.

I was taken off the meds, but the changes stuck. I still get gross, sweaty, uncomfortable in groups and when put on the spot, and around strangers. Job interviews are always really hard, and I always wonder how that super-outgoing kid would have done.

I've seen both sides of the spectrum, and I can tell you all that being able to find ways to relate to and appreciate strangers is much more enjoyable than living only inside your own head.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
reply to post by silent thunder

No, all you need to do it think inwardly "Namiste" - I honour the place in you which shares something of the place in me. Who you are BEING in relation to them, your compassion and respect for their person, their humanity, will shine though and resonate in your tone, your body language, and you'll be the one person out of many who actually treats them, as you would want to be treated. What you're saying without saying it, is hello, I love you.

Well put.

If you can muster that for the convenience store clerk each morning you are a better man than I...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MinMin

I can't find a source, but I'm sure someone in the UK got arrested for doing that because a traffic warden complained he was interferring in some kind of legal sense ~ madness and petty madness at that.

Good for you though.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Nice thread!

Maybe there is a spiritual awakening
happening.

Maybe 2012 is just the dawning of the
new Age of Aquarius, as we pass thru
the gravitational center of the galaxy
...not the EOTW.

Oh,

My answer...

"No thanks, I already have one at home."

When asked...

"Would you like a bag?"

You can give away a smile for free. It is the
one thing we all can do...
all over the world

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
People have been doing this like forever I'm surprised actually that this was even mentioned but Intrepid is right it is always nice to do something kind everyday.

I try to do my kind deed early in the morning so I can be me
the rest of the day. j/k

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Great job Intrepid!

I've said the same thing so much my head hurts. I was in the local pharmacy Friday and a big monster of a biker looking dude came in. For some reason I was compelled to start a conversation. I had a feeling he just needed someone to be nice to him.

I AM NOT A FUZZY BUNNY KUMBAYAA KINDA GUY!

I started BSing with him and he was a great guy. Gave me some good advice on investments.

A little bit of that can sometimes make a difference.

My other thing i do is when one of the ladies from the office tells me "have a nice day" i do some Carlin...."DONT TELL ME WHAT KINDA DAY TO HAVE" OR "GREAT, NOW I HAVE TO HAVE A GREAT DAY!"....and then i smile. The shocked look is priceless until they realized I was messing with them. Lots of laughs!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'd rather people didn't try to cheer me up with witty retorts. I'm an introvert and not interested in conversations with strangers. In fact it often takes me months (or never) to become comfortable enough to discus anything beyond technicalities with co-workers. It's them who do all the prying with the questions that ALWAYS are asked:

Where are you from?
Any kids?
Do you have a wife/girlfriend?

I have to wonder why those are the Top 3 questions people ask me. Maybe I "seem" like I have a family. I dunno.

The other day, someone asked me "How are you doing?" in a quite casual manner. For a moment I actually considered it a question, my eyes drifting slowly to the side as I thought of so many different but truthful answers. Should I describe my horrible insomnia, and the mental fog I have to battle daily to survive? Or the emptiness of my life having no one significant in it? I actually considered the truthful answers and I said "I'm..." --a brief pause but one steeped in significance-- "...doing ok, how about you?"

Of course, that can never beat answering "how are you" with "how are you?" I do that all the time.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Mother Theresa of Calcutta was always giving the advice..."Just Smile" No matter the misery in your own existence, pass on a smile to those around you. She did this with her poor and sick in India, and even the dying would return the smile.

OP you are so right...and your post was a refreshing way to start my day.

Just smile to others around you...it is a gift you give.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
At work I often ask, "how are you today?" I really do want to know. If there is a problem I do want to know about it. The place I work at is rather hostile. (Think psych ward meets prison meets controlled riot)

I try every day to make the other employees feel welcome, and appreciated. I do this because I know that management doesn't care.

I joke around and try and make everyone laugh or smile everyday. It's a tough job, and the people that work there have a hard day everyday.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Absolutely right, it makes you feel good and the other person. Look people in the eye and smile like you mean it! A moment of happiness can mean everything in some situations

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Bravo! Giving encouragement or a laugh or anything positive is a two fold deal. I feel that when a person shares a positive word with another both parties benefit and to me that is a blessing. Thank you for posting. This is a reminder to me to think of others and to be kind. Once again thank you for this my friend. Peace and blessings

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You nailed it man. I used to be very self centered, and didn't really care about others. Then over time, I ran into a few people that behaved in the same manner you described.

I had to ask... Why is that person happy, always smiling, ect? Slowly over time I realized that it wasn't because that person had good luck, or was rich, or gifted in any way. I realized that that person chose to be happy, and because of it they spread good humor, and smiles where ever they went.

I found out that you can either wallow in misery, or you can just decide one day to be happy!

At some point fairly recently I found out how to accomplish this. It can be difficult, but it is a complete option to you to be happy or sad. When something bad happens to you you have a choice.

1) Become upset, feel sorry for yourself, and drag everyone around you down.
or
2) Choose not to allow yourself to become embroiled in misery, and smile at everyone you meet, and try your best to be positive and helpful to every single person you encounter.

Smiles are catching, misery is even more catching.

The choice is completely up to you.

Great Thread Intrepid!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well put!
I know that misery loves company but why makes someone else miserable because we are. Keep in mind happiness is also contagious so perhaps if you put your misery aside, make someones day or make them laugh, you might find your outlook and mood turning around!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Great thread, I always try to do that but sometimes I am caught up in a bad mood or my mind is elsewhere and I just forget. I agree one should always try to brighten someone else's day, it makes them feel good, you feel good, and generally something good happens to you down the line. It is a good thing for everyone to be friendly and enjoy life, we have enough problems as it is, so why not do a little bit here and there to brighten up someones day.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
nice speech !

i also believe karma is the sum of our actions

many thanks for this useful reminder

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Might be the 3 glasses of wine i've drank but I think this thread has made my day for sure, thanks.

To be hounest i try to act this way everyday anyway and I think your whole conecpt of what you're trying to get at is a great idea

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I decided to test this today, and I just got back from the store where I picked up the stuff needed to make chili dogs for dinner.

When I got to the check out the young lady asked me how I was doing and I responded with "I'm constipated" ... Of course she laughed, and tried to cover it up, I interrupted her laughter with "it gets better, your smile just made my day" .... She then gave me my total, I handed her the cash, and as soon as she collected my change from the register I walked away telling her to keep the change... which was EXACTY 27 cents.

As I was turning toward the exit I looked back and she was standing there holding the change and laughing uncontrollably, I must admit it made my day, making someone laugh was more rewarding than I expected, I'll have to try this again sometime.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I've started to do this more often. Thanks for the reminder that positive energy usually brings positive outcomes

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum