Go ahead, make THEIR day.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Intrepid great advice man!
As a mater of fact I have been making it a point to do that for the last to months, and let men tell you hoe much it changes the energy of those around. A little humor (not belittling of course) goes a long way. Maybe picking up a few words in a language of someone that you come in contact with often to greet them in their tongue. Before you know it people will go out of there way to be around you, or to share the day with you. I have strangers all of the time mention the pleasantry of my personality. Now my personality has not changed a bit, but just make it a point to assist them in having a good day.
If someone is having a really bad day just remind them that they are above ground and have not assumed room temperature yet!

Again Intrepid very pleasant post!

A ☼ for you.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Where I'm from, the common phrase everyone gives me from wherever I purchase something is "Have a good, nice, great, or whatever"positive" day.

My response is ALWAYS

"thank you, you have a better, nicer, greater or whatever is a STEP UP IN POSITIVE day"

This response 99.99% gets a GENUINE smile back to me and you can tell it makes that instant a good one for that person. I've seen some people in some crappy attitudes snap right out and into a better attitude because of it. Not to mention it invariably leads to a good conversation later.

GREAT THREAD

b

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Great thread. I think helping each other out is one of the major lessons humanity needs to learn... otherwise we're in trouble. I think it's good to banter with people and make them feel good, but IMO it may be better to do some sort of practical act, like paying for tolls, food for the homeless...

- I made up some business cards with:
Real health: www.welikeitraw.com -
-
________________________________-
...written on them. So now you can leave them around the place and free souls from the combine at 10 cents per soul. A card like that, with a cool design on it, dropped mysteriously by a stranger, might not just make someone's day, it could make someone's life

Maybe 80 out of a hundred people will throw them away, but what about the other 20?

We should brainstorm ways to make people have a good day for little or no money.

This thread is good:
Twelve Sandwiches Daily To a Better Future

I have no desire to be friends with the guy who serves me coffee or even checks out my liver at the hospital...all I ask for is a reasonable level of competence and polite silence, ************** I think I'd go insane if I had to banter with everyone I ran across on a daily basis.

We all have days when we want to mind our own business. I feel like that from time to time. Headphones are a decent sign to people to keep/distance. I sometimes put mine on with no music just so I can do my own thing. Einstein said:

"My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities.

Maybe that's you, maybe you're depressed. I dont know, it's not my call.
Some days I find banter draining and irritating, sometimes it's uplifting and useful. I live in HK right now, Cantonese people gabble at each other all the time. On the other hand, commerce can be very brusque and impersonal. My general rule is I let people approach me.

And it's not about being friends with someone. It's just making the time go faster and increasing the joy in the universe by a couple of kilos. You don't get a taxi drivers email and invite him to your wedding after a 15 minute conversation, you just have a cool conversation and go on yr way, both a little enriched.

STO makes you feel alive and brings powerful results...

[edit on 16f20091amMon, 15 Jun 2009 00:43:55 -050055 by HiAliens]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I always try to be funny but so many do not get it or tke it the wrong way or simply makes them uncomfortable. What should I do? Work on my humor?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
reply to post by infobrazil

Aww man, I worked in retail as a student and that just annoys me, especially people paying in coins ~ unless it's a senior citizen, they can do what the hell they like.

Depends where you work. Some places have a scarcity of coins and they need them for change. Most people just use cards or paper these days... no1 walks around with coins...

Where there's a need, there's an opportunity.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
oh dude, lately i have helped like 10 foreigners here in my country to get a place, people who have came to my building, to check if there is a free place, and i'm always like, "if u want i can help u out
"

Oh and I since i started treating people great, seems that i get all kind of ways to say "thank u" back from them, the other day, this waitress gave me 4 free tequilas at a nightclub

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

The Indians in their simplicity literally give away all that they have--to relatives, to guests of other tribes or clans, but above all to the poor and the aged, from whom they can hope for no return.

It was our belief that the love of possessions is a weakness to be overcome. Its appeal is to the material part, and if allowed its way, it will in time disturb one's spiritual balance. Therefore, children must early learn the beauty of generosity. They are taught to give what they prize most, that they may taste the happiness of giving.

Ohiyesa (Charles Alexander Eastman) - Wahpeton Santee Sioux - 1858-1939

As a child I understood how to give, I have forgotten this grace since I have become civilized.

-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala

As Columbus wrote of the Arawak (before murdering and enslaving them),
"They are so ingenuous and free with all they have, that no one would believe it who has not seen it... Of anything they possess, if it be asked of them, they never say no; on the contrary, they invite you to share it and show as much love as if their hearts went with it..."

Was an intense acculturation process applied to Arawak children in order to override their inherently greedy, selfish natures and impose the desire to share?

Crazy Horse, Tashunkewitko of the western Sioux, was born about 1845. Killed at Fort Robinson, Nebraska in 1877, he lived barely 33 years.

As a boy, Crazy Horse seldom saw white men. Sioux parents took pride in teaching their sons and daughters according to tribal customs. Often giving food to the needy, they exemplified self-denial for the general good. They believed in generosity, courage, and self-denial, not a life based upon commerce and gain.

One winter when Crazy Horse was only five, the tribe was short of food. His father, a tireless hunter, finally brought in two antelope. The little boy rode his pony through the camp, telling the old folks to come for meat, without first asking his parents. Later when Crazy Horse asked for food, his mother said, "You must be brave and live up to your generous reputation."

It was customary for young men to spend much time in prayer and solitude, fasting in the wilderness --typical of Sioux spiritual life which has since been lost in the contact with a material civilization.

www.raw-food-health.net...

Gift economy:
en.wikipedia.org...

A hunter would share what he hunted because he knew that the others will do the same when they hunt something. As a group of friends. Being a good hunter was valued by that society, so people were proud to bring something to the group, to share what he had with others. That is what people seek.
What would you do with all the modern stuff you gather if there was nobody to share it with ? Or at least some people to see you ?

[edit on 15-6-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
great topic!!

i dont know if you get this where you are, but the standard cashier greeting to a customer here is...

"you right?"

it used to annoy me, especially when its said with a tone that shows he/she doesn't want to be there.

so i have the habit of addressing the question directly...

"you right?"

"ohhh... mmm not really!"

and just stand there and look at them.

and they look back...and i look at them...

Its kinda fun, and they finally get what they have asked and usually cheer up. It turns that transaction into a little human contact.

star and flag...Break the day up into as many human interactions with strangers as possible!

have a cracker of a day cyber souls!

andy (that's what humans call me)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

We have internalized our masters, which is a well-known psychological response to trauma. When faced with overwhelming terror, the human mind splits, with part of itself modeling itself after the oppressor. This is an act of appeasement: "Look," the mind says in effect, "I am like you, so do not harm me." As a result of the civilizing process, together with this psychological defense mechanism known as "identification with the aggressor", we now hear the alien voices of the various representatives of civilization in our heads.

These ego-alien identifications, built up over the course of a lifetime, cohere and form a distinct, circumscribed personality, or false self, that represents and enforces the rules and regulations of civilization.
This false self is observable in the frozen facial expressions, stereotypic gestures, and unexamined behavioral patterns of the general public. This false self determines much of our everyday lives, so that we are seldom the origin of our actions.
We lapse into the false self at the first sign of danger, under stress, or simply because it is the path of least resistance. In this unthinking mode of social role playing, we internally reproduce our own oppression.

www.primitivism.com...

[edit on 15-6-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Hi Oracle,
One thing I do that has worked well for decades is, when I go down to the Baker's shop for my wholemeal bread and the ladies say 'would you like anything else?' I usually say 'could I have one of your lovely smiles please', It never fails.

Good luck, and have a lovely day,

Regards,

Horsegiver.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I appreciate where you are coming from...you are obviously a good guy and yes, you probably could make me laugh or brighten somebody's day with your tactics. And I wish you well in all such endeavors. But don't forget...the right to opt out, the right to be left alone and not bothered, the right to be invisiable and to be detached...these are more highly valued by some than by others.

I have lived most of my life in East Asia. In some of the big cities there is a level of service that many westerners consider slavish or overly servile...they aren't used to having a waiter take off their coat and put it on for them at all but the best best restaurants, for example, while this is rather common in some parts of Asia. Several western friends have expresssed dismay over what they perceive as overly-servile relations between customers and staff in various situations. "How can they stand to be so groveling and fawning?" The answer is this: Because when he gets off work, the groveling staff member knows he'll be treated as a king when he goes out to eat or buy something. its just a different rhythm. Likewise, each place has its own rhythm of how to deal with strangers, clients, and service people. Don't assume everyone everywhere wants to be overly verbal all the time...is all I'm saying.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Works if you have a pretty acceptable type of humor I guess.

My sense of humor is pretty out there and most of the time self deprecating. Freaks people out. They do laugh tho.

A friend I hadn't seen in a year turned up today and we had a great time. The golden moment was when he started mumbling that 'U.G.L.Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly' song out of nowhere.

He goes, 'oh, where did that come from?... I don't even like that song'.

I reply: 'you did just look at my face I guess'.

Hilarity ensued.

Yes, I'm strange. But it works.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

No, all you need to do it think inwardly "Namiste" - I honour the place in you which shares something of the place in me. Who you are BEING in relation to them, your compassion and respect for their person, their humanity, will shine though and resonate in your tone, your body language, and you'll be the one person out of many who actually treats them, as you would want to be treated. What you're saying without saying it, is hello, I love you.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
This is a great thread.

I agree that a little friendly interaction with a stranger can make their day. I also agree with Silent Thunder's comments.

A friendly smile or a little respect can go a long way.

It's nice to see that there are a lot of friendly people at ATS.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I live by this code, what you do for another, you do for yourself. I tend to get a little excessive though, .... as sometimes I'll see a homeless guy standing outside of a mcdonalds, ... while all of these selfish bastards just drive by him. I'll order bags of food, and throw like 50 bucks in the bag. The look on these guy's face is more than worth it.... believe it or not, when they look in the bag, some of them actually try to give back the money !! it astounds me how ungreedy some of them are.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
You are right. But come on...who wants to be all chirpy and inquisitive when you are having a bad day? If somebody says "how are you today, sir?" I can give probably three different answers:

1) (the truth) I am having a really bad day and am under a lot of pressure and stress. [Big sigh.] How is your day?
2) (outright lie) I am having a fantastic day and which it would never end to be honest. [Huge smile] Does today find you as well as it finds me?
3) (in between) Yeah my day has been alright, yourself [a look somewhere between misery and ecstasy]?

You don't want to be caught in a situation where you lie in order to achieve a positive outcome, only to have it backfire horribly. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trying to make someone else's day pleasant if I can. Yet, sometimes it is just better to live within the realm of the mean.

[edit on 15/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I appreciate the sentiment behind the original post, and I can see the poster has a good heart. But nonetheless there are many people who want to keep interaction with strangers at a minimum, especially in big cities. I'm one of them. For psychic self-defense, as an urban dweller, I learned decades ago to shut out people to the greatest extent possible and disappear into an inner shell. I just simply can't live in a city of tens of millions any other way. I have no desire to be friends with the guy who serves me coffee or even checks out my liver at the hospital...all I ask for is a reasonable level of competence and polite silence, and the ability to disappear down into myself, losing myself in my thoughts, whatever book I happen to be carrying at the time, my iPod, whatever. I think I'd go insane if I had to banter with everyone I ran across on a daily basis.

I agree. As a big city dweller, it's often hard to find gratification out of conversing with complete strangers. I believe the OP meant well, but if I ask somebody how they're doing, and they respond with "I'm a bit bloated today," it does absolutely nothing toward making my day better. I think it's the positive attitude more than the random responses that make eachother's lives more enjoyable.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by StevesResearch

It is indeed, the friendly side doesn't come out much when people are baring teeth fighting their corner as if the norm on here.

I don't even think I need to add a story to this thread, the way some of you guys live does you all a great credit and jus reading this thread has made my day!

It always makes me laugh cos I'm 6'5, 21 and nearly always wearing trackies, hoody etc (just purely for comfort) and with a near skinhead must look a little intimidating but people are stunned when I'm polite in stores and hold doors for people, pick things up that they've dropped in the street or whatever. I can never hold back the grin!

Honestly hope to come across more people like you guys in my travels

[edit on 15-6-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Wishing someone well or trying to cheer up their day is an enlightening and unselfish thing to do. I always try to remember that no matter how bad your day is, there is always someone in a worse situation, or having an even worse day.

Im a photographer and my day is made when someone views a finished shoot for the first time. I always sneak a look at first reactions because they are seldom false. Seeing someone light up, lights me up for the rest of the day.

I think we also need to remember that joe public is under a lot of pressure in this day and age. Sometimes he/she dosnt react at the time to our friendly gesture or word, but Im sure we have made their world just a little bit brighter for doing it.

It is the small human gestures, comments and actions that we will all be remembered for, by those we want to remember.

Respects

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I never really thought of this sort of advice as the "latest top secret technology for survival" but judging from some of the responses, it seems that even the fact that simple acts of kindness and a friendly attitude towards mankind are pro-survival factors in a society is being insidiously suppressed!

It does actually take a certain amount of courage to treat strangers with warmth and compassion, but it also takes a certain amount of courage to stamp out ignorance in a world on the verge of being handed over to the criminal element as their latest plaything.

If you're going to try to face something that's hard to face, might as well do it with a smile on your face and tolerance in your heart.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join