It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Society broken down? What happened to RESPECT?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What has happened to ‘RESPECT’?

Link: sticksandstonescanbreakmybones.com...

What happened to respect for the President?
When was the last time you heard President Bush referred to as 'Mr. President'? As apposed to "this president", "Bush", "this administration", "George", etc. As a matter of fact many of you who have little problem bashing President Bush actually likely made fun of your more popular President Bill Clinton also, so I don't point too specifically to one party.

Maybe you are old enough to remember something called 'common courtesy'. Common courtesy is apparently no longer common. It seems that anyone, anywhere is fair game to ridicule and humiliation even (especially) the very people we should most respect. Watch just one episode of South Park or Saturday Night Live and count the number of times real people are destroyed for the sake of humor. It is bad enough that we have stooped to this level in humor but it is just as insidious and pervasive in the 'news'.

It is interesting, though, that political correctness (the words are more important than the content) demands select people or groups are off limits and others are fair game. You can bash the president all you want, just be careful bashing a "minority", you may lose your job over it if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton find out about it! Political correctness is nothing other than a direct attack our constitutional right to free speech. I have no use, or tolerance, for it! However, respect for others is always a good thing.

It has been my understanding that the office of "President of the United States" in itself was worthy of honor and respect regardless whether you agreed with the current president on policy and actions or not. I think we have lost something of value in choosing to disrespect our elected authority.

This site is speaking of our lack of respect for the Office of the President, but in OT’s opinion, it doesn’t stop there…teachers, pastors, nurses, etc…do not get the respect they deserve…

Obviously this is an empirical take on things….one limited for sure…with that said I miss the days where I would hear, “yes, sir” or “no ma’am.”

Why is this?
Do you agree or disagree with me?

Webster’s says RESPECT is “an act of giving particular attention…consideration…high or special regard … the quality or state of being esteemed.”

Karen Wolf, from ABOUT.com suggests 4 things…here…christianity.about.com...

Practical Steps for Respecting Authority
1.Start by reading and learning what God says about respecting authority. Find out just what he thinks and how much importance he places on your willingness and your attitude about it. When you discover that God will only give you authority over others when you show that you can come under authority yourself, perhaps things will look a little different to you.

2.Pray for those in authority over you. Ask God to guide them as they fulfill their tasks. Pray that their hearts would seek God as they make decisions. As God to show you how you can be a blessing to those in authority over you.

3.Set the example for the people around you. Show them what submitting to authority for the right reasons is supposed to look like. Don't participate in back-biting, gossiping, or criticizing your bosses or others in authority. There is nothing wrong with having constructive conversations, but there is a fine line between offering your opinion and becoming disrespectful.

4.Understand and know ahead of time that you are not going to like every decision. If you look at the responsibility and accountability that exists within the role of your leaders, it should become clear that the scope of their authority affects more than just you and your circumstances. There are times when decisions will negatively impact you. But just remember that how you react to these times will determine how quickly God puts you in a position of authority over others.

= = = = = = = =

What are your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
A little more from Wolf for our discussion...

God's View of Authority
The truth is, God has placed an entire network of people in this world into positions of authority. I'm not just referring to our government leaders, but also to the leaders in our workplaces and in our families. Perhaps it's time to take a look at just how God views authority and our lack of respect thereof.

Coming under authority and showing respect isn't easy. Nobody wants to be told what to do or how to do it. We criticize anybody that makes a decision we don't like. It's not right. It's not fair. It's not good for me.

In our country we've taken our right to free speech to an unbelievable level. We openly criticize our leaders, our country, our values, and pretty much anything else that doesn't line up with what we want. We don't see anything wrong with complaining, whining, and showing disgust to anybody who will listen.

An open dialogue about how to solve issues is always a good thing. But some have even categorized their poor behavior as an attempt at "open dialogue." There is much to learn about how God views these kinds of situations.

link: christianity.about.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well ever since the two party system was introduced, people have been able to say, he's not MY president he's YOUR president.

Which probably started this whole problem in the first place. The level of respect has been decipated in the past 30 years or so, because of the government's actions and scandals in my opinion.

People don't trust the government anymore, they don't feel like they are working for their interests as opposed to them. American's have always been a patriotic country, and abroad I am sure their demeanor changes when speaking of the Chief.

It all comes to trust relationship between the government and the people. The problem we have, is that the people have this illusion that they aren't in control, that elected officials are just going to get what they want, regardless of the people's say.

I can see the parallels between this and what we seen in Canada. We've always hated who was in office here, except for Trudeau, loved him but our mistrust for the government has led to record low turnout for elections. 40% in our last one.

I think the government and the people need to go back to basics, and really build a foundation where the RIGHT candidate is chosen and he acts with integrity and makes decisions for the American people as opposed to a corporate shadow agenda.

Great OP!

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
........The level of respect has been decipated in the past 30 years or so......

......I think the government and the people need to go back to basics, and really build a foundation where the RIGHT candidate is chosen and he acts with integrity and makes decisions for the American people as opposed to a corporate shadow agenda.....

Great OP!

~Keeper

Thank you Keeper! Hope all is welll....

Interesting... you mentioned/agrees this is a somewhat recent phenomenon...the last 30 years...wonder why?

And I wanted to echo your last statement again...sooo true!

Glad you joined!

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Since JFK in my opinion.

Not because of the of his death, but because of what he represented. A true politician who was frank and honest.

I mean Obama were seeing some likeness to JFK, but people think it's a ruse, since 30 years of opression and mis-management have left people bitter.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just a thought....I wonder if folks old enough to remember that feel the same way? And what about our brothers and sisters from other countries...do they feel as we do? I mean, have they seen a decline in respect in their countries? And in this same time frame?

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think respect is something that is past, sadly. People are too busy making a living, paying the bills, working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Add the constant fear being pushed by the media and few have any consideration for anyone but themselves.

I look at it this way, I respect anyone until I'm given a reason to not give it. I have few problems with people. No, really.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
In business the level of respect, like most other corporate things, flows from the top down. If upper management sets high standards of behavior then the rest will follow. If they do NOT have respect for their employees, or if they behave in immature or unethical ways naturally most will not have any respect for them despite their title.

As far as yes ma'am and yes sir, I frequently use those titles in business, and they are still used in the old south. It is a charming custom and I try to keep it alive. On the otherhand if someone is rude to me (store clerks, shoppers, etc...) I will not hesitate to go off on them and that includes yelling/ridiculing them publically.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

intrepid, very good points there...these are uniquely pressured days....

hey if had had bi-ceps like yours I'd have fewer issues too

Thank you for the time!

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Absolutely, the leader can set the right tone in business....seems more difficult to wrap your arms around a great big country...

Nice post there!

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Actually speaking of foreign respect.

I was in Holland last year, shaperoning a school trip with my daughter and had the pleasure of speaking with some wonderful people about they're world views of the west.

They stated that since the year 2000, people have drastically lost respect for the West's leaders and not because they disaprove of their policies, but they see the growing discontent among the populace.

They worry for us, therefore our actions and our demeanor affec they're overall view of our government.

Kinda strange huh?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

ru saying they feel like since WE in the west have lost respect for OUR leaders, that they are following our lead?

Amplify your discussions if you can ok?

OT

[edit on 14-6-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I think respect for the office was completely lost with Nixon and Watergate. After that happened the Press or Media did whatever they damn well pleased with regard to the office. Before Watergate I recall every President being addressed as "Mr. President" even Nixon...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Yes, that makes alot of sense...do you think that is the root cause for the rest of society, lackng respect for teachers, preachers etc...?

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Yes exactly, that was the general idea I was getting.

You see in Europe or the Netherlands more precisely, they are not so caught up in the news and propanga as the West is. They follow the stories but they watch us the people, not the institutions.

So they are telling me, that in order to support they're friends abroad, they look down upon the people we deem unworthy.

They're mentality is. You know who is running your country, we don't other than what we are told by the media. If you are un-happy with the way things are run, then obviously they aren't doing a very good job.

This is the formula they use to judge our elected officials and persons of power.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Even in day to day life this occurs.

Gangs, the one thing they really want (even more then turf, or an oozie) is respect. Everyone wants respect.

We also don't give respect unless we are getting respect.

It's tough, there was once a time you could walk up to someone on the street and talk to them....now you think of a few things before you even think about doing that, "Are they a child molester? Does he a have a gun? Etc etc etc."

Lots of fear, I can't tell you how many times I've opened doors for people, and not even a thanks, they won't even look at me or acknoweledge I did it.

I feel it's not because their pridefull, because they look confused everytime, I think they just honestly don't know how to react to a stranger small act of kindness...... Which is very pathetic.

Not everyone is going to like every president, it's why we have a few parties. But making fun of them, is a gift that other countries would be shot if they did!

Although, the constant Hate words toward bush are a bit uncalled for, calling for a mans death everyday is sick. So he was responsible for the deaths of thousands milions, is it eye for an eye?

Obama should be subject to the same criticism, minority or not.

Humour is good, gets those abs workin!

I don't get the thing about making fun of a whole race, mine get's made fun of all the time (Canadian- American) .

I don't go home and cry, I don't get pissed to hell, I let it go, look at south park they rag on canadians constantly! Even chinese people, jews and gingers.

I can sometimes laugh with it, sometimes it's true, and witty. And I laugh
< Just like that guy!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yes exactly, that was the general idea I was getting.

You see in Europe or the Netherlands more precisely, they are not so caught up in the news and propanga as the West is. They follow the stories but they watch us the people, not the institutions.

So they are telling me, that in order to support they're friends abroad, they look down upon the people we deem unworthy.

They're mentality is. You know who is running your country, we don't other than what we are told by the media. If you are un-happy with the way things are run, then obviously they aren't doing a very good job.

This is the formula they use to judge our elected officials and persons of power.

~Keeper

WOW!

That is very SOBERING!!!!

To whom much is given, much is required!

I'm reminded...

"America is great because she is good” is a quotation that has been attributed by several American presidents to Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859) and his book, Democracy in America.There is no evidence that de Tocqueville ever wrote it or anything like it.

The full quote is:

I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there. I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her fertile fields and boundless forests, and it was not there. I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her public school system and her institutions of learning, and it was not there. I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution, and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good America will cease to be great.

Reverend John McDowell used the alleged quotation in a sermon on Labor Day weekend in September 1922 in New York City. It is not known where McDowell got the quotation from, but similar (though not exact) quotations have been found from 1886 and 1908.

link: www.barrypopik.com...

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I don't respect anybody who worships the bible, neither should anyone else.

I am, however, blindly polite to people. I see nothing wrong with that -- holding doors open for people, complimenting others, thinking about others before yourself, etc.

I am not blindly respectful of people, though. That's stupid.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Even in day to day life this occurs.

Gangs, the one thing they really want (even more then turf, or an oozie) is respect. Everyone wants respect.

nice point above!

BTW, love hat avatar! Where's the sympol from? and mean?

OT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

I don't respect anybody who worships the bible, neither should anyone else.

I am, however, blindly polite to people. I see nothing wrong with that -- holding doors open for people, complimenting others, thinking about others before yourself, etc.

I am not blindly respectful of people, though. That's stupid.

You politeness to people, helps yo help them....it's a good thing?

btw, I don't know anyone who "worships" the bible....altho it does have some great things to say about respect....I always followed Romans 13...which says.... 1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

I can honestly say this passage has guided my interactions with my world for many decades....OT respects all rights to believe or not...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join