It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 line posts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
My OP is NOT if one line posts are good or bad.

My OP is that there are so many that have appeared in the past week.
What can we do to stop the that add nothing to the thread?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That is one of my pet peeves. Adding "2nd line" to a post does NOT make it any less of a 1-liner. Adding "3rd line", "4th line" and so on to a post doesn't make it any less of a "1-liner". People that do this simply don't understand the concept of "a 1-liner". If you (any person that reading this post) are one of those people that does this: One Line Post – READ THIS THREAD!

People that add "2nd line" to a 1-liner (i.e. a post that does not add to the discussion) will most probably receive a point penalty.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild

Please use the "complaint function" and report them. While we are "less strict" when it comes to 1-liners, it's always a good plan to guide new members onto the righteous path while they are still getting to know ATS. When we see a new member posting 1-liner after the other we would typically send them a U2U to explain what we are looking for here on ATS. Members that have been here longer are penalised or reminded by an edited not to post 1-liners.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild

Only one thing... a mandatory newbie class for those just out of school. We get this rash every school break.

Not likely to happen... so go with the doggy with the cigar's idea

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

It starts with one

"It says that in the bible"

next poster

"Where in the bible"

just my humble opinion - but :

` its in the bible `

is not a helpful post , however

its in the bible , read and understand book ********* chapter ********

is now a HELPFULL , bur still brief response that benefits the thread

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
One liners are fine if they add to the discussion. Sometimes, one line can say more than hundreds of useless words.

Agree'd

( With one word, i have completely outlined my thoughts and merged them into the above.) Life is so simple, why complicate it.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Actually "agreed" or "I agree" is a perfect example of a 1-liner.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Oops, just read your previous post , my mistake, sorry.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Don't just agree to the op, make a point with your statement. It can be simple.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I am but a humble man, who has few words to speak, but i carry BIG stick to strike down those who oppose me.

Hope that clarify's everything

Peace

edit: My interpretation of how the moderators must feel or think at times when moving post's or deleting them for various T&C violations can be suumed up with the below video. Do take note of the quotes used..!

Peace

[edit on 15-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Points can get across with one line sometimes. Though I hate to see it done all the time, theres nothing wrong with one line posts once in awhile.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
Points can get across with one line sometimes. Though I hate to see it done all the time, theres nothing wrong with one line posts once in awhile.

Yes they can... you can even get an applause for a single phrase. Timing is everything

Its CONTENT that makes the difference between a one liner and a valid post. Not sure why this is so hard to understand

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
But there have suddenly been loads of single line posts, some threads have pages of them.

I have been thinking about it and I blame.

Twitter and Micro blogging

Just another way the population is dumbing down, people struggle to write more than one sentence.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
One-liners can sometimes contribute more to a thread then a whole paragraph. Keep that in mind. As long as useful information is included, I don't see any problems with it.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
ive seen mods do it too though

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Originally posted by skeptic1
One liners are fine if they add to the discussion. Sometimes, one line can say more than hundreds of useless words.

Agree'd

( With one word, i have completely outlined my thoughts and merged them into the above.) Life is so simple, why complicate it.

Unless you have a need for the poster to know it's you wouldn't simply staring the post be the same as saying "Agreed" Why not star the post then U2U?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Alot of times it seems like these types of posters are trying to draw attention to themselves, kind of like the little kid jumping up and down yelling . . . "LOOK AT ME, ISN'T ANYONE GOIN TO LOOK AT ME?". (upper case used only to make a point, I hope in this case is okay)

Other times there are snide comment one liners that are used just to distract from the thread.

In either case I think thes are the types of on liners that the MOD's are trying to crack down on.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The continued obsession with one line posts is something that defines the control logic of this particular website, I honestly have not seen it even loosely enforced anywhere else.

Personally I would rather read one line of garbage than two, why encourage minimal contributor posts that lack any substance to be become major contributors?

Seriously, get a life.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
1 line posts .... so IF I get this straight then:

1. ATS-subs are not aloud (?) not taken seriously (because maybe they havent read the whole thread or do not add something substancial to the discussion) when they post a one line post ... RIGHT?

Silly because, one single line or few words can say it all to make a point.

2. Mods (paying members too? ) have more tools to change posts then regular ATS-subs. Like they SHOULD have IMHO

What else are mods for to check, delete or repost posts / threads? They do a good job on ATS and U2U people when they change something.

3. I haven't seen (okay I'm not here 24/7) a thread yet but this one, with so many one-liner posts

4. My contribution to this thread is more then one-line so it won't be deleted (if I don't offend anyone or curse) ... RIGHT?

During my study I had to work very hard on saying / writing what I meant /wanted to explain in so less words as possible ......

It's great I can let that lesson go in here!

And, maybe off topic, noticing this reply window in acting funny and I miss all the little insert and text buttons just above this window ....

Any mod in to help?? I just LUV mods!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
1. ATS-subs are not aloud (?) not taken seriously (because maybe they havent read the whole thread or do not add something substancial to the discussion) when they post a one line post ... RIGHT?

WRONG the following line is an example of a one liner that would be acceptable
(And the word you want is allowed )

Silly because, one single line or few words can say it all to make a point.

Whereas "Kewl great thread
" is not

2. Mods (paying members too? ) have more tools to change posts then regular ATS-subs. Like they SHOULD have IMHO

WRONG

Mods at ATS are not paying members, nor are the subscribers. There is no membership fee here its FREE and the mods volunteer

What else are mods for to check, delete or repost posts / threads? They do a good job on ATS and U2U people when they change something.

RIGHT thats what mods do they keep us all in line

3. I haven't seen (okay I'm not here 24/7) a thread yet but this one, with so many one-liner posts

That is because people are making a point

4. My contribution to this thread is more then one-line so it won't be deleted (if I don't offend anyone or curse) ... RIGHT?

RIGHT This post will not be deleted I am sure

During my study I had to work very hard on saying / writing what I meant /wanted to explain in so less words as possible ......

It's great I can let that lesson go in here!

Welcome to ATS

And, maybe off topic, noticing this reply window in acting funny and I miss all the little insert and text buttons just above this window ....

There was a problem today with hijacking through an ad, They are fixing things
This thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just LUV mods!

Now that sounds like bringing an apple to the teacher

[edit on 23-6-2009 by zorgon]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join