It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herschel telescope 'opens eyes'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Europe's new billion-euro Herschel space observatory, launched in May, has achieved a critical milestone.

The telescope has opened the hatch that has been protecting its sensitive instruments from contamination.

The procedure allowed light collected by Herschel's giant 3.5m mirror to flood its supercold instrument chamber, or cryostat, for the first time.

I like the sounds of this, hopefully the scientists will be able to discover some cool new things in space, and the rest of us will get some cool new desktop backgrounds.

I'm no space expert, but wikipedia says one of it's uses will be to look at "Molecular chemistry across the universe.". Perhaps this will allow us to look closer at far away planets, for indicators that could mean the planet is capable of life as we know it?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Cool vid, thanks for the post. Maybe it will provide some interesting info like Hubble did.

I started a thread on cool and interesting scientific stuff, check it out...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Download this video and play it in VLC media player then speed up the play to 4x and you will see the real video. You will also see how the dust is affected by the opening of the hatch, which indicates the presence of air.

This was not filmed in space.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If you pay close attention to how the hole thing jiggles as the hatch opens you can tell that this thing... whatever it is, is mounted to something like a bench. if this were to happen in space it would have thrown the hole object out of alignment. This video is made to appear as though it was taken in space but was probably filmed in a basement then slowed down.

edit to add: They have to make us believe they are spending our money on something other than our own enslavement.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by BugByte]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BugByte

Who said it was?

From the article linked in the top post...

There is a YouTube video that shows what would have happened - in slow motion.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople

Who said it was?

From the article linked in the top post...

There is a YouTube video that shows what would have happened - in slow motion.

So they built 2 of these things just to show us what would happen? I doubt that.

Reading the hole article it sais that the hatch was kept closed to avoid contamination.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

If you pay close attention to how the hole thing jiggles as the hatch opens you can tell that this thing... whatever it is, is mounted to something like a bench. if this were to happen in space it would have thrown the hole object out of alignment. This video is made to appear as though it was taken in space but was probably filmed in a basement then slowed down.

edit to add: They have to make us believe they are spending our money on something other than our own enslavement.

Well, I didn't really notice at first, I assumed it was the actual video too, but in the comments for the video, someone says

"This is a spare they have on earth that was kept shut at cryogenic temperatures (and in a vacuum I imagine) for two years, just so they could test the mechanism."

and in the BBC article, reading more closely, they say "There is a YouTube video that shows what would have happened - in slow motion. "

So I don't think they are really trying to deceive us.

Here is the video at 4x anyway for people who want to see that.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 14-6-2009 by jimminycricket]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
we'll there's something fishy about this hole story.

edit to add: thanks for speeding up the video.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BugByte

First you didn't read the article and assumed and said they were trying to lie to us and tell us it was filmed in space and they created it on earth to lie to us.

Then when corrected you question why they would create it to show us?

Maybe the video is not fishy and it reads rather simple as the words they use to explain it.

Sure people shouldn't trust everything but when you start to mistrust EVERYTHING, that's when the true problems begin.

Anyway, thanks for posting OP very awesome.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pop_science
reply to post by BugByte

First you didn't read the article and assumed and said they were trying to lie to us and tell us it was filmed in space and they created it on earth to lie to us.

Then when corrected you question why they would create it to show us?

Maybe the video is not fishy and it reads rather simple as the words they use to explain it.

Sure people shouldn't trust everything but when you start to mistrust EVERYTHING, that's when the true problems begin.

Anyway, thanks for posting OP very awesome.

For petes sake read the title in the youtube link it sais:
Lid Release on the Herschel Space Observatory

Is that title not misleading...? and yes I read the hole story! Prove I didn't.
I'm not just going by what it sais in the BBC article. Wake up!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimminycricket

Well, I didn't really notice at first, I assumed it was the actual video too, but in the comments for the video, someone says

"This is a spare they have on earth that was kept shut at cryogenic temperatures (and in a vacuum I imagine) for two years, just so they could test the mechanism."

and in the BBC article, reading more closely, they say "There is a YouTube video that shows what would have happened - in slow motion. "

So I don't think they are really trying to deceive us.

Here is the video at 4x anyway for people who want to see that.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 14-6-2009 by jimminycricket]

They spent a billion Euros just to test something ? That is just wrong

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

No! that's just what a user on youtube is saying with out any proof of what he sais.

This video could have been filmed right after they completed the hatch, but know one knows for sure how or when this video was made.

top topics

join