It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just how much water is there on Mars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Was having a dig about and came across this site

Anyway, the scaled to 1km, amazing clear money shot (3.5MB and click to enlarge) showing where water had possibly flowed within the past few 10 years had me just asking one question. How much water would have had to have backed up on the plateau before it flowed over the crater lip?

The light area may have been caused by a spout from half way down the crater wall, however the rest of the image suggests water over tops. I also hope I'm reading the shadows correctly because, that is one big a$$ed area of land.

It also shows Nasa can get the good cameras out when they want.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well if you look at the shots from the Ice Caps, then really we could have as much as a ocean's worth of water on either side.

Not to mention what would be underground that we can't see.

I can't speculate specifics, since I am no expert, but I am assuming it's a hell of alot of water.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ooopps double.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadros

Simple answer is...nobody knows. Water shouldn't exist on the surface of Mars due to the atmosphere...the observed ice sublimates into the sparse atmosphere. I wondered if a subterranean hydrothermal vent is causing water to rise through fissures and then run down the 800metres of the gullies in the OP images? Nope. As far as we know, Mars is geologically inactive. The effects of gravity might be able to maintain some degree of plasticity and heat at the core. Still it's puzzled NASA and everyone else so who knows? Interesting to think about though...

This gif might catch your attention...

Source

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
As far as we know, Mars is geologically inactive.

Oh come on now Kandinsky. What about the methane plumes? As far as I know, its either a result of geological processes or -more likely- biological processes. Youve seen all the great stuff on Pegasus as well

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Hiya Maj,
The methane emissions make me want to believe in psychics
I can hardly wait for the results. One way or another, evidence of ET life is probably coming in our life times. The ESA mission is going to be 2016...long time.

new topics

top topics

join