It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reporters arrested, news sites shut down in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Reporters arrested, news sites shut down in Iran

rawstory.com

International press freedom watchdog Reporters Without Borders is calling on the international community not to recognize the results of Friday’s presidential election in Iran “because censorship and a crackdown on journalists are preventing a democratic electoral process.”

“Arrests of journalists and media censorship measures are growing as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s ‘victory’ continues to be disputed,” the organization said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If they are shutting down news outlets then this could get a lot worse over there . I wonder if Iran's Supreme Ruler will get involved in this matter ?
If Iran's S.R. does get involved it will most likely be to back Ahmadinejad .

I found a quote from Iran's S.R where he offers his thoughts on Ahmadinejad ....

" He has been steadfast in showing his unprecedented support for Ahmadinejad’s government by calling it “the best administration” in the past 30 years. He has virtually ridiculed former presidents by saying Ahmadinejad has upheld Islamic values much better than a cleric. "

tehranbureau.com...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I was at the Iranian embassy for the elections and filmed a bit and talked to a few people.
I asked one guy who he voted for and asked him if he expects any change for Iran if the guy got in.
He shrugged and said maybe.
I asked him if the other guy won could he expect any changes.
He said maybe again.
The feeling I got was they don't have alot of hope no matter who wins.

Then I got kicked off the sidewalk by a cop.

I guess we aren't that different...he saw my camera.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I can't say I am surprised by this either.

Iran has a bad tendency to quell uprising in the media and the internet. I don't think the SR will need to make a statement or get involved, purely because the bulk of the backlash seems come to come from the youth of Iran.

I don't think they value their opinion very much. The riots will die down eventually, people usually aren't able to carry these things on for very long.

On a side note, and a positive one, they haven't brought out the army to deal with the dissidence yet, they're only using the police.

At least they haven't lost it completely.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see if the special op's forces in Iran charged with undermining there current leadership will use this opportunity to advance there end goals .

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I think like we said iran are taking this very seriously, and probably are judging that outside forces played a part in the election.

You cannot really blame them as elections should only have the people of the country involved.

top topics

join