It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you experienced strange weather lately?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Unusually cool June here in Phoenix, Arizona. And that's a good thing, because it's usually about 110 right now. We got 93 instead.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

June Winter Wonderland In New Jersey? Hail Storm Pounds Parts Of Garden State With Several Inches; Residents Watch In Amazement As Plows Clear Streets

wcbstv.com...

Parts of New Jersey were pummeled by a massive hail storm on Monday afternoon, leaving it looking as if a June blizzard blew through with inches of dime-sized pellets piling up. Washington Township residents were seen on their driveways breaking out the snow shovels and officials sent out bulldozers to act as snow plows to clear the streets after severe thunderstorms pounded the region. Children were seen forming hailballs.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Kent (south East England) here...

With had some really nice weather lately... June sunshine interspersed with the odd showery day which has been great for my garden

Yesterday we had a hail storm... not wildly strange but none the less a bit odd. Early summer and Ice just doesn’t seem to go. Today its back to bright sunshine and high temps

However, some parts of Devon and Cornwall have experienced floods.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Oh... and as mr-lizard said... the North has had floods too.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

ABC Freak Beijing storm turns day into night

au.news.yahoo.com...

China correspondent Stephen McDonell and ABC cameraman Rob Hill saw day turn into night as a freak storm swept across the capital Beijing today.

"It was pitch black outside and you could see people looking out from the office towers across the road from us," McDonell said.

"In a couple of the photos you can see a clock in the distance showing it was around 11:30 am local time."

The storms were expected to affect western and northern Xinjiang, most part of Inner Mongolia, north-east China and north China.

Today's extreme weather follows yesterday's hail storms across eastern China's Anhui province, which killed 14 people and injured more than 180, AFP reports.

Anhui's Civil Affairs Bureau said that more than 10,000 people were evacuated and nearly 9,700 houses collapsed in yesterday's severe storm.

Anhui was struck by hail and winds of up to 104 kilometres per hour, causing $82 million worth of damage.

A similar hail storm struck the region in the first week of June, killing 23 people and injuring more than 200.

Officials have warned residents that more dangerous weather could follow.

[edit on 6/16/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

2008 confirmed rise in weather disasters-Red Cross

www.reuters.com...

UNITED NATIONS, June 16 (Reuters) - A global trend towards increasing weather-related disasters was confirmed in 2008, the second deadliest year in the past decade for natural catastrophes, an annual Red Cross report said on Tuesday.

The number of people reported killed by natural disasters last year -- a total of 235,736 -- was surpassed only in 2004, the year of the Indian Ocean tsunami, said the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).

The 2008 toll was accounted for mainly by two events in Asia -- Cyclone Nargis, which left over 138,000 people dead or missing in Myanmar, and the Sichuan earthquake, which killed more than 87,000 people in China.

Damage from natural disasters cost more than $181 billion last year, according to the report.

More than three quarters of the disasters struck developing countries, which suffered 99 percent of the deaths, Maarten van Aalst, an author of the report, told a news conference.

"In the 1990s, we saw an average of about 200 natural weather-related disasters per year. In the past decade that's been on average about 350. Last year we had 297, which is ... still well above what we've been used to in the past."

Some experts have blamed the perceived rise in freak weather events on climate change caused by pollution. It is a controversial subject ahead of a conference in Copenhagen in December that is meant to impose tougher targets for greenhouse gas emissions.

"It is now highly likely that that extreme-weather events -- floods, droughts and storms -- will become more frequent and more severe. And we cannot say we have not been warned," IFRC Secretary General Bekele Geleta said in a commentary.

"The disasters which climate change will trigger potentially threaten more lives and livelihoods than any before," Geleta said, adding that the world's response to the warning had so far been "piecemeal."

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here in NY we've been having unseasonably cold weather for the spring. It is usually about 70 or 80 degrees up here right about now.. and its been generally 40 or 50 for the majority of this season. It seems a lot of places are having rather odd violent weather lately, luckily that's not the case up here.. and hopefully it stays that way.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here in Southeastern Pennsylvania the temps have been about 10 degrees (give or take) below normal...and I cannot think of a day in the past two weeks where it has not rained. (It is already raining here again today) Very weird weather.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by compwiz32190

same here in NY (upstate-ish).....absolutely awful, nothing but rain for close to a month. It's easily 20 below the normal temp for this time of year. I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy to keep sunshine out of the Northeast

I saw something on accuweather.com that was predicting that this part of the country "would not have a summer". I think I'm starting to 'get' what that actually means.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
By definition weather is variable. If you had exactly the same weather as this time last year and the year before, then you should start worrying!

Edit: whilst NY is wet, Seattle is looking at a record breaking dry period. That's weather

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Essan]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah, weather is variable all right. That is why people 'talk about the weather' because it can be strange like this. I'm in NY and it has been frustrating having this much cloud cover and rain. I've lived here only 6 years, so maybe the past 5 were just lucky because this is the first time I have witnessed so much cloud cover and drizzle/rain.

Oh well, maybe next year. I agree with others that this is possibly due to the solar minimum.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yeah weather always changes, but it is the intensity of it that seems to be growing stronger, or is it just me??

I know its not

The planets climate is changing. Does not matter to me why its changing, only that it is. Its not just one place or another, its EVERYWHERE. Kind of like slowly cooking a frog, it does not know its heating up until its practically dead.

The same can be said with weather patterns. How many 1 in 100 year storms do people need before they go holy crap!! Something is wrong?!

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Darkblade71]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

You may be right, but I was just looking at the rainfall statistics page for NY and noticed that there have been wilder swings in weather than this. For example, in 1903 two records were set for May and June. Here is the catch, the May record was for driest month and the June record was for wettest month. Now, THAT is a wild swing in weather!

Link

1903 Rainfall:
May 0.30 inches (Avg: 4.69)
June 9.78 inches (Avg: 3.84)

So wild swings are not unheard of although I do agree that this year is exceptionally cooler and wetter for much of the US.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
What was strange is it was hot rain... warmer then the air temp... kind of like very warm bath water... now I'm and old guy who's been around a lot of years visited many different places in the world and I don't ever remember hot rain before...

Even as the sun went down it just got hotter... Now I know this is a little thing to be sure... but it just had a wrongness to it....

Up til about a month ago, I had been living in the tropics. The rain there was warmer than normal all the time due to the hotter upper air environment

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I live in the southeast, and everyday, there is a Storm in the evening, and it is sometimes really severe.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Not really a weather thing but very odd for my part of the world is this weekend we found a Scarlet Tanager nesting in our neighborhood...

The thing is I've never ever seen a Scarlet Tanager in the desert southwest before and I had to look it up on the Internet to see what it was... Wikipedia said "Their breeding habitat is large forested areas, especially with oaks, across eastern North America."

That's remarkably different that our vast open badlands of stunted pine forests..

Don't know if it means anything other than one lost rather pretty bird but it is very freakin odd...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It's gotta be whatever the hell is going on with the magnetic field.

That's how the birds navigate. I've posted a lot of data here:

Is the sun causing the recent abnormal weather?

It seems that the maybe the sun is not the culprit but I'm stumped as to where the energy around the magnetosphere is coming from. GRB? Radio emission? Turbulence? Any suggestions?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/631265657546.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit to ad: THe sun is so bright here right now I can't go outside with exposed skin for more than 20 seconds without feeling the burn..

It's really quiet outside, which is abnormal for around here. No people, no animals, no bugs buzzing around. It feels like everything is hiding. Well except for two pairs of two different species of birds, both heading east, groggily.. The first pair were using structures as "cover", and going in a weird manner, but definitely east.
www3.nict.go.jp...

[edit on 22-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

[edit on 22-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

You might be right just a few minutes ago my wife came in and said she just saw some kind of tropical looking bird at the feeder we have back there... this one she said was mostly yellow and twice the size of a sparrow...??? who knows???

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

haha LOL, it's one of the Canadians from South Park that I added my hair and beard to with ms paint...

And WOW regarding Pioneer! That's could be it!

www.abovetopsecret.com... e=2#pid6561758
So anyways, I spoke with a solar physicist..

I'm afraid that most of the phenomena you refer to have little or no relation to the solar wind or the Sun..

Also, returned to post: Whoa, maybe the magnetic field changes have to something do with the recent earthquakes or vice versa?

Came across this bigger picture image today, here's the link for anyone who'd like to cloud watch and compare:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b416a2f51b2.jpg[/atsimg]

NOAA image

I am curious as to how often this image is updated.

Someone just compared it to an ultrasound. There is no temperature data, however.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well here's another odd bit... We're well on on way in setting a new record, coldest June ever...

The high pressure that normally settles over the four corners ended up way east of us this year giving Texas Ok and that paqrt of the world the 100 degree temps we normally have... Not that I mind all that much gardrn is doing great and my cooling bill is way down this year, so far

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hi, stangeness fans !

Hoooooooo boy ! WHAT a BIZARRE night.

2 nights ago, around 0400 AM, I was waked up by SCARY
lightning bolts ! ! And usualy, I am NOT scared by storms.

The BIZARRE was that there was ZERO RAIN ! ! !
NOT A DROP ! ! !

And I can tell you, that the thunder was almost instantly
after the flash ! ! We where right in the middle of it all ! !

WOW ! Any one else did see "dry" lightnings like this ?

Blue skies.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join