It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Fly or Not to Fly - No Fly List Question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Hi All -
Hope you brains here on ATS can help me.
I’ve got some bad news from back in the USA and need to (should) fly back for family reasons.

Here’s the problem.

With all the new *no fly* rules and lists etc - am I in for a rude awakening?

So my question is this...

Am I going to be barred from leaving the States until my debt (medical bills) are paid?

I’ve looked all over the internet for info., checked no fly information lists, etc, and so far come up empty handed (luckily).

But do you think there might be a chance I may not be able to get OUT once I’m back to the States?

(I'm an expatriate living in Europe)...

Thanks!

[edit on 14-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Good sir,

According to everything that I know, you cannot be put on the No-Fly-List or be barred from entering the United States, particularly if you have a citizenship or other legal status to live there for having bills that you havent paid. It doesn't work that way .. because if it did the Airliner Industry would be DEAD.

The average American has like 8 credit cards, and I know I have some debts, I know I can fly. Sheesh, if you couldn't fly from unpaid bills .. this place would be screwed.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Thanks -
I was wondering with the State of the economy in the USA - their needing every red cent they can get - if I'd be detained from LEAVING the States until my debt is paid.

If you fly, debt or no, they know you're going back to the States (or presume you are) - with me, they know I've debt in the States but will be leaving again...

It really has me worried - groundless worry and looking for trouble or not, it's got me in a bunch.

thanks

EDIT: By the way - my fears stem from a friend of mine sending me this info in an email...
I'm trying to find out where he got the quote... I'll get back as soon as I can.

Because honestly, if this isn't in practice, baring people from leaving the States- I bet it will be soon...

If you owe reparation, or your fines are overdue, you could be stopped from arriving or departing any international airport.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I say get your ticket.

Check the bottom right hand corner of it for 'SSSS'. That is a sign that you will be removed from checkpoints and searched.

I have a suspicion that many ATS members are probably on the 'SSSS' list.

As far as your bills are concerned, I don't think they will factor into your freedom.

Sorry to hear you had some bad news. Hope everything is OK.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I owe the IRS back taxes from the past several years. I refuse to pay..

Living in Mexico, I have had no problems flying back out of the US or crossing the border. My last flight out of the US was less than a month ago- and I just crossed the border by car a few times last week.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

Thanks for tha info.

Like I said, I have a feeling this will not always be the case.

I can see the USA controlling the boarders for leaving as well as returning very soon.

And like the person before you posted - it wouldn't surprise me if many here on ATS are *flagged* for further scruitiny while coming and going from the States also.

Thank you, RuneTang and Fooffstarr for your posts and well wishes...

PS - Runtang - I'm not a guy

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Check the bottom right hand corner of it for 'SSSS'. That is a sign that you will be removed from checkpoints and searched.

???? Is that for real? What is your source? I somehow doubt this, and it is highly verifiable

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
i dont know, the airports are wierd. I heard alot of different rumors about what they do and dont do. Though im on the random bag check list.

edit: and that member is right about the sssss. though you may also get red lines and red x's.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Myendica]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gamechanger

Originally posted by fooffstarr

???? Is that for real? What is your source? I somehow doubt this, and it is highly verifiable

It is real. Just google SSSS no-fly.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

No worries Silo.

That SSSS thing is interesting. My intials if you take an S away.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gamechanger

It's real. People get it every single day. I worked in the airline industry for a while (flight attendant) and that was one of the major complaints the passengers had. No worries though... all they do is pull you aside and check your luggage, scan you with a hand held metal detector and pat you down. They may make you go through the air poofer thing that checks for explosives. It's nothing to be scared of though. The airlines' computer systems randomly print the search command on random tickets. It doesn't mean that you're suspected of anything. I've even seen 3 and 4 year old children getting the search just because the computer randomly picked his/her ticket. I'm sure that there are occasions in which it may be put on there purposely and not just randomly, but only if they really suspected you to be a potential threat. So even if you do get the search command on your ticket, it's still not a big deal. They wont hold you here.

I just wanted to add that if you get the search command, it doesn't mean that you wont be allowed to fly. It just means that you're one of the "lucky" ones picked for random search. Honestly, when the security people check you, all they do is double check your ID and then do what I mentioned above. No computer checks or anything. I've never heard that having that on a ticket would mean that the person isn't allowed to fly. Seriously, why would they even give a ticket to someone who couldn't fly?

Good luck to ya!

[edit on 17-6-2009 by satgirl]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by satgirl

i get it everytime i fly out of the country.
the lady was like, "oh you have been randomly selected," and i say, "yeah that happens everytime." She says, " oh your name must be similar to that of a terrorists."
That makes it not seem random.

edit: funny, it was actually my first Thread. but no one ever looked at it.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Myendica]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Call a travel agency. Arrange your booking thru them. If you are on the no fly list they will let you know. They access it before they book you on the flight.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

i get it everytime i fly out of the country. the lady was like, "oh you have been randomly selected," and i say, "yeah that happens everytime." She says, " oh your name must be similar to that of a terrorists." That makes it not seem random.

Yeah, you got me there. There was probably more to it than they told us... wouldn't surprise me. Sucks that you get hit every time!

top topics

join