It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net neutrality gains political traction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Source

Free and open access to the Internet helped the technology grow and thrive. The political fight to maintain robust access for all has picked up strength in Washington, D.C. That is good news for consumers.

The shorthand for the field of battle is net neutrality. Proponents argue that a network provider should not restrict users for reasons against their interests, such as to deny them the right to use certain services because those services are owned by somebody else.

An early pitched battle defeated legislation that would have allowed Internet access providers to charge customers variable rates by speed of service. The stakes for consumers were bluntly defined.

Democrats control the gavels in key committees. The president's nominee to lead the Federal Communications Commission, Julius Genachowski, is an unequivocal proponent of net neutrality, as is the new head of the Federal Trade Commission, Jon Leibowitz.

The Obama administration is intent on spreading access to the Internet to all corners of the country, and protecting consumers from having their pockets picked by inventive Internet providers.

I'm definitely NOT against net neutrality, I just don't get it with people who's against it, including (oddly) congressman Ron Paul. I'm definitely with Obama on this one.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Let me ask you a question, we don't have net neutrality now, and none of the "problems" that they say will happen with out it are even close to being problems.

The net is perfectly fine the way it is. There is competition in the market if any of the ISP's decided to do any of the things that the government wants to protect us from, people will simply switch ISP's.

I can tell you one thing this legislation will do though, it will create the very problems that they are trying to guard against. Not to mention all the "fine print" they will add into this bill.

Are you still for it?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I'm all for the principle that the internet should be neutral. If it takes a bill to protect the net neutrality so be it. If no bill is required, I'm fine with that too.

My concern is not about should there bill or no bill, what I want is the protection if it's necessary, and I'm not gonna just let unfettered capitalism makes the decision for me.

If net neutrality is not under attack, why would I want any bill at all? And if the bill actually endangers the neutrality of the internet itself or the privacy of the internet users, why would I want that too?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Uhh, capitalism is dieing. Obama is doing all he can to destroy it. But the internet is neutral now and it isn't under attack from anything.

I see absolutely no reason for this bill. This bill is going to cause all the problems that you are worried.

The government is going to legislate the problems you are worried about into existence.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Again my focus is not on the bill, my focus is on the principle of the net neutrality itself, and I'm against letting the free market mechanism decides the neutrality of the internet.

And just I have stated, if the bill intrudes into internet privacy and other things, I won't agree with it.

Cable ISPs See Net Neutrality Foul in ESPN Online-Video Charges

They don't do it blatantly at first, but they're doing it anyway.

[edit on Sun, 14 Jun 09 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Uhh, capitalism is dieing. Obama is doing all he can to destroy it. But the internet is neutral now and it isn't under attack from anything.

I see absolutely no reason for this bill. This bill is going to cause all the problems that you are worried.

The government is going to legislate the problems you are worried about into existence.

Yuppers.

new topics

top topics

join