It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians Revolt - Latest News

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
Well it looks like the pressure by the protesters has paid of as they are holding a recount!

news.bbc.co.uk...

Mousavi rejected this recount. He wants new elections. And he is right. The whole count was rigged from the beginning.

The problem there is they don't have people who are really qualified to count votes and monitor the count. Anything may pass with many of them.

This isn't really about counting votes. This is about a mass of people dug in and wanting no change - "changephobs", who are supporting Mr A who promised there will be NO CHANGES (ironical, isn't it?). For them, "no change" means "no war". Because now they are not at war. Simplistic logic.

Then, there are those who vote for the projected winner, because they don't like to "lose".

And there is a mass of vigil people, mostly youngsters, who see no future in a changephobic country and want it their way.

Being objective is impossible in a situation like this, and compromises are also very hard to accomplish.

People who killed those students did this on Mr A orders, and he is directly responsible. The demonstrations were not violent. It is the A party that provoked violence.

He will be hanging for this.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Ahmedinejad and Ayatollah Kahmainae are in Russia meeting with Medvedeyev.

Fancy that. Talks for more arms sales ?
Russia interested in propping up the little dictator ?
Little man scared to stay at home and face the crowds ?

All power to the people of Iran in their struggle against the religious tyrants.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by sy.gunson]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

I agree with much of what you said. I doubt "Mr A" will hang for the dead protesters though. I have noticed a sentiment of victory in the people who are cheering about the new recount. As you pointed out.... Who will be doing the recount? What in the world makes people think that the recount would be fair?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I agree with much of what you said. I doubt "Mr A" will hang for the dead protesters though. I have noticed a sentiment of victory in the people who are cheering about the new recount. As you pointed out.... Who will be doing the recount? What in the world makes people think that the recount would be fair?

It is really hard to tell. In Serbia, for instance, when Milosevic lost elections, he refused to remove himself from his position, which provoked mass demonstrations in Belgrade, same as now in Tehran. (October 6, 2001).

However, what really decided was that army refused to shoot at people, and paramilitary "special units" of government hit-men also refused to engage people, so Milosevic had to step down.

In Romania, there was a fight against the Securitatea, secret police, and army joined people and openly fought Causesku. They captured him and executed him without trial.

But Mr A has left the building, so I think he chickened. In a situation like this, the leader doesn't leave country. He may not be able to come back. What's Russia got to do with this anyway? Is there something we don't know?

Now we must wait. People in the streets without proper organization cannot do much except prolong this stalemate.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well, here it is:

Mother Russia says: Move on!

"It’s quite symbolic that the Iranian president arrived in Russia on his first foreign visit since re-election," Sergei Ryabkov, the Deputy Foreign Minister, told reporters in a briefing at the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation summit, at which Iran has observer status.

"We welcome the fact that the elections have taken place, and we welcome the newly re-elected Iranian president on the Russian soil."

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

A recount in itself, even if it isn't fair which it probably won't be, it is still a victory of sorts. It shows that TRUE democracy is being approached there. They're blaming themselves now, allowing those pesky women to be educated.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Edit: nvm, I joined and updates are coming in now.

[edit on Tue Jun 16th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Refresh the page.

If the messages at the bottom the tweets say posted 6 hours ago, you need to refresh the page.

I'm not really getting any new info, though. Nothing that can be confirmed. One thing I noticed about this is that you have to use your own brain to figure out the propaganda from the truth.

Oh yea and Twitter is going down for maintenance for an hour at 1pm pacific.

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Still to early to see how far this has gone and if it will continue. Something like a national strike would give the protests some weight, but I don't see it happening in a place like Iran.

This could turn out to be a flash in the pan.

I'm interested to see what's going on.

Mike

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This thread on reddit has a nice breakdown of the situation. www.reddit.com...

Currently, there are either two or three groups who are suppressing the students on the ground that you'll read about throughout this thread:
1. The Basij
2. Ansar Hizbullah (which I will refer to as Ansar)
3. Lebanese Hizbullah (Unconfirmed but highly probable. Der Spiegel, based on a Voice of America report, says that 5,000 Hizbullah fighters are currently in Iran masquerading as riot police, confirming the independent reports. Many different independent reports and video point that way. Even in the last hours other independent twitter feeds have declared witnessing thugs beating on people while shouting in Arabic; I will refer to them as Hizbullah)
4. The Basij are your regular paramilitary organization. They are the armed hand of the clerics. The Basij are a legal group, officially a student union, and are legally under direct orders of the Revolutionary Guard. Their main raison d'être is to quell dissent. They are the ones who go and crack skulls, force people to participate in pro-regime demonstrations, and generally try to stop any demonstrations from even starting. They are located throughout the country, in every mosque, every university, every social club you can think of. They function in a way very similar to the brownshirts.

It's a good read, I highly recommend checking it out.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Nice photos they say alot. Thanks for sharing. One thing that jumps out at me is the word Police on the backs of the jackets. Since this is going on in Iran wouldn't the word police be Arabic? Or is Police a universal word?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't know if I can say this here,

But if you get in a paltalk radio room right now people from all over the world will be talking live about this issue, it is interesting to hear the people from the middle east speak about the situation.

300 people in the room right now, that is huge.

[edit on 043030p://bTuesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Almost 400 in room now, Iranian women is speaking I wish I could express the emotion.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
A Plea From Iran: Please Pray For Us

garybaumgarten.blogspot.com...

An Iranian-born woman vacationing in her homeland sends this dispatch with a plea for prayer. Her name is being withheld for her protection.

I am currently in Iran for vacation! What a vacation???!!! I feel like obligated to give you a report about what is happening in Iran and ask you to pray for us and pray for justice and freedom.

Ahmadinejad has cheated in the election and whole Iran is in the streets! Ahmadinejad supporters are mostly poor BUT also uneducated and fanatic people. You can see and feel that they are less than 10% of our people.

People are VERY angry. They feel cheated, insulted and humiliated.

You can see even very religious people with Chador and a complete Islamic hijab fighting for their rights in the streets, supporting Mousavi. Police men are beating people whenever they can. They insult people badly and you can see from their language what kind of people they are.

The interesting thing is that many police men are speaking Arabic and they can even not speak Farsi???!!!!? People believe that the government has brought fanatics from Palestine, Lebanon, Iraq , Syria etc. probably mostly from fanatic groups such as Hezbollah or Hamas to fight with our own people as Iranians are mostly not ready to beat Iranians.

I have seen Iranian police defending the people as much as they can but once the special force is there, they will join them to not to be punished. Some of them told me that they have voted for Mousavi themselves and if they weren't in police uniforms they would join us.

You can see riots in every part of Tehran and as we hear in the news also in the rest of Iran . In my part of the city, People are going to the streets every night, shouting

“Down with Dictator”

‘Mousavi, Mousavi get my vote back for me”

“Mousavi Mousavi take my flag back”

“Doctor (Ahmadinejad) go to doctor”

“Down with Dictatorship”

“I will kill the one who killed my brother”

“Down with this cheating government”

“Allah o Akbar”

“liar”

“We don’t want potatoes, we don’t want dictators!” (a reference to reports that Ahmadinejad gave poor people potatoes to vote for him)

“Nuclear dictator, go and sleep, you are tired”

“Brother, street cleaner, please take 'doctor with you”

“2 + 2 = 16” (a reference to the way the government counted the votes)

As police attack the crowds, even children and old women, people are going to their apartments and continue to shout the slogans from their windows having all their lights off! They shout “Allah o Akbar” from their windows, or in the streets, which is a reminder of the demonstrations 30 years ago, in the time of the revolution.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Iran rules out annulment, Tehran crowds gather

www.reuters.com...=1

(Editors' note: Reuters coverage is now subject to an Iranian ban on foreign media leaving the office to report, film or take pictures in Tehran.)

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
reply to post by dazbog

Please gain a rudimentary understanding of what happened in this country during the 2000 Election. Your ignorance on the matter is startling.

Interesting ! kinda, well maybe not. President Mahmoud Ahmadineejad was elected in an alleged democratic process. Not unlike the alleged vote rigging process experienced by the US in 2000 & 2004. The histrionic outrage over yet another fixed election is laughable. Be thankful he is a non-cleric. The same claims of fraud were announced in his previous election.
Allow me to offer a bit of brevity. This statement is attributed to Bush. Somewhat ironic. In this venue everything I say is alleged. It is simply a sign of the times.

President Bush stated that ( presidential elections in Iran were designed to keep power in the hands of rulers who suppress liberty at home and spread terror abroad.) Sound familiar home-boy? According to a US State Department official, the Iranian election fell very, very short of minimum democratic standards.
What an utter waste of cyberspace. We all know what will transpire. The transgressions
of vote rigging will be forgotten, just like in the U.S. And the world will go forward blissfully into the sunset of ignorance and feigned outrage. I am not making light of these situations, they are a horrible infringement on the individual sanctity of free choice. I just see President Bush and President Ahmadinejad as cut from the same cloth. You may disagree, I will not call you ignorant.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dazbog
I am not making light of these situations, they are a horrible infringement on the individual sanctity of free choice. I just see President Bush and President Ahmadinejad as cut from the same cloth. You may disagree, I will not call you ignorant.

Just to be clear, and I never called you ignorant. I suggested you may be ignorant on the matter at hand. Ignorance does not mean stupidity. It means, in the context I used it, that you are not as educated on the 2000 election as you should be based on your comments.

There are many topics on which, compared to others, I am relatively ignorant. That does not make me an ignorant person.

The elections of 2000 and 2004 were not rigged. In the case of the 2000 election, the US Justice System worked exactly as it was designed to work. One doesn't have to agree with the ultimate decision to understand that the process worked.

In 2004, no credible person has ever claimed this election was rigged. Both sides claimed there were "irregularities," but that happens in every election. It's not a perfect system but it works.

If one wants to place blame for the outcome of the 2004 election, look squarely in the direction of John Kerry. He ran a perfectly dreadful campaign and allowed Bush to set the agenda throughout the election.

It matters not what you and I think about the Iranian Presidential election anyway. It matters what the Iranian people feel and they have made those feelings abundantly clear.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Iranian Student Protester Shot and Killed in Isfahan.

Warning: This video is very graphic.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Obama: Little Difference in Policy Between Ahmadinejad, Mousavi

U.S. President Barack Obama says he is greatly concerned about the dispute over Iran's presidential election and the suppression of peaceful dissent in Tehran.

Mr. Obama also says the United States will not intervene in Iran's political dispute, because that would be meddling, and the Iranian people must decide how to resolve the situation.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Yes John Kerry was awful and gave Bush the white house even today i would not vote for Kerry if he ran against Ahmadinejad. I'm afraid id have to vote for Ahmadinejad since at least hes not an idiot! Then there was Al Bore sorry meant Gore. I consider myself a democrat but that man is so far left even most people on the left think hes nuts. Had the democrats fielded any viable candidates in either of these two elections the republicans would have lost years ago!

[edit on 6/16/09 by dragonridr]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

You forgot British.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join