It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this what a bottom looks like?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Nooo...not that kind of bottom...those are nice.

I am speaking of the economic bottom of our mild depression.

So how will we know when a bottom is in and the economy will recover? I've postulated a few signs (some humorous, others not so pleasant). Bear in mind, much of this in tongue in cheek. But like all sarcasm, there's a grain of truth.

We will bottom WHEN:

CNBC and Bloomberg start firing anchors and cutting their coverage time by hours, not minutes.
Maria Bartiromo and Jim Cramer start telling investors to short the market with all they've got.
Questions like "do you think we're heading for a recovery" result in the questioner getting punched in the face or ignored like a loony tune.
People HATE stocks and stock ownership has plummeted back to one in ten Americans (the pre-401(k) levels).
Investing is no longer a hobby and people fight tooth and nail to retain their nest egg (honestly what the hell is "play" or "speculative" money?)
The number of mutual funds has fallen by at least half (why are we paying fees for people who can't beat the market?).
People no longer want to get an MBA to become a broker or a financial advisor.
Our economy is based on "making something," not "offering advice."
Books about Warren Buffett no longer comprise an entire publishing industry (seriously, Amazon lists 5,000+ books on him).
The Richest 500 people in the world are no longer all billionaires (never happened before in history… how's that for concentration of wealth?)
Guys like me are no longer writing about finance or investing but instead take up a respectable profession.

Reminds me of a Graped of Wrath meets Brave New World kind of bottom.

Although this coming bottom may be a pretend to fail, rise again, Thunderbird kind of bottom.

www.gold-eagle.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I feel that the standard for wealth has dropped world wide as a result of this economic crisis. So even though the top 500 aren't billionaires, they are still top 500, the pyramid has shrunk proportionally.

The stock market has always been a game played by the wealthy. Insight also helps.

I dont think we are heading towards any type of recovery, the complete opposite in fact. We are beginning to slump.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The economy is a byproduct of ideas.

Wealth is the fruit of ideas.

With that in mind we must remember that we are undergoing a season of winter and the resolve to survive and thrive will bring new ideas.

We are going to get over the hump so long as we do not destroy ourselves.

The question is what price will be paid for these new ideas to become dominant doctrine.

new topics

join