It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Probe Set to "Collide" With Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Asteroid Probe Set to "Collide" With Earth

news.nationalgeographic.com

A 1,124-pound (510-kilogram) space probe will "collide" with our home planet in June 2010 to simulate an approaching asteroid, Japanese scientists have announced
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It seems the Japanese are being very experimental as far as crashing their equipment into moons and planets.

It was just the other day they crashed Spacecraft Kayuga into the Moon, and now they are announcing crashing a probe into earth!!

I wonder if they know something we dont, IE - is something .ing our way??

Never the less, this will be interesting to see what remains of the probe after the burnup of reentry into our atmosphere.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 13-6-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Why test something you don't think will happen? It doesn't suggest that we will be hit by an ELE anytime soon but it does make one consider the possibility.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It's happened before (big asteroid), it happen's every day (small asteroids), it will happen again (big asteroid), only question is when.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'm sorry but the very first thing that came to my mind is that the Japanese have become very adept at "spin".

Although the plan was not part of Hayabusa's original mission

They lose control of the craft and so it becomes an experimental mission on the effects of it crashing into the Earth and the story becomes "A 1,124-pound (510-kilogram) space probe will "collide" with our home planet in June 2010 to simulate an approaching asteroid, Japanese scientists have announced."

Wow... that's rich!

[edit on 13/6/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

So true..In fact there is a 100% chance Earth will be hit by another ELE causing asteroid or comet, the only question is when. It could be tonight, tomorrow, 2025, 3555, or 1000000000 AD. But IT WILL HAPPEN. Hopefully we as a race have enough technology right now to stop it, but that is yet to be seen.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Hey at least they are making the best out of it. I mean that is the only relevant thing it could do now as far as science experiments go. It should prove very useful in determining kinetic energy distribution of large objects for model simulations.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
...the only question is when. It could be tonight, tomorrow, 2025, 3555, or 1000000000 AD. But IT WILL HAPPEN.

or 2029/2036??? hint hint, Apophis?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

reply to post by skyeyes

So true..In fact there is a 100% chance Earth will be hit by another ELE causing asteroid or comet, the only question is when. It could be tonight, tomorrow, 2025, 3555, or 1000000000 AD. But IT WILL HAPPEN. Hopefully we as a race have enough technology right now to stop it, but that is yet to be seen.

Thanks Jkrog, now I won't be able to sleep tonight!

-E-

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I just wonder if this has anything to do with this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The timing is immaculate, and I'm not buying this version of what's happening. Yeah, you, a developed nation, suddenly and upon your own accord decide that you're going to crash your toys into planet EARTH. Something came up, don't know what it is, or whether its necessarily good or bad. Japan and the US are both allies, so whatever it is they're in it together.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Hopefully we as a race have enough technology right now to stop it, but that is yet to be seen.

I'm more on the side of hoping we as a race DON'T have enough technology right now or ever to stop it.

I see the Earth as more important than people, and it'd be best for the Earth for people to be gone, so people need to go.

I hope the Japanese see something coming. I hope it's coming soon.

[edit on 6/13/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TravisYah

good point travis. it does kind of add up i agree. very strange goings on at the moment if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

yes Novus, its hard not to agree with what you say. All we have done is ruin this planet in a very short space of time.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisYah
I just wonder if this has anything to do with this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Japan and the US are both allies, so whatever it is they're in it together.

I thought the same thing when I read this story. I wonder what other odd and interesting space news is our near future?

Sounds like the beginning of a conspiracy!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
yup..the fact of life is,,we could be hit right now asw e all type back n forth here on and in this forum. Dosnt mean a global killer or a doosday iron rich rock..outside of a major city being wiped off the maps thats is, and 7 or 8 million people now part of the upper atmosphere.
To stimulate the asteroid.. WTF does that mean? They must know someting we dont, or they have worked out some kinda fancy shamcy theory using mathemtics and physics... personally, tol say something like that, i dunno..make me think the guy whos aid it was still on a marijunann biuzz or something, maybe still alittle hungover form last nights party,, thats me personly.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The only thought that came to my mind, as crazy as this sounds..was perhaps we were due for a collisoon with this asteroid..craashing the spacecraft into out atmosphere,t he backblast would be jsut enough force to propell the asteroid off our atmosphere...sounds crazy lol i know..but tis the first real thought that came to my mind... that would stimulate it IF it was real and worked.

top topics

join