It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress OK's tobacco legislation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Congress OK

www.wgntv.com

The U.S. House of Representatives votes 307-97 in favor of sweeping cigarette legislation.

All tobacco-related sponsorships of sports and entertainment events are banned.

Outdoor tobacco advertising within 1,000 feet of schools and playgrounds are banned.

Cigarettes can no longer be sweetened by flavors like strawberry, grape, orange, clove, vanilla or other candy, herb or spice flavors.

Cigarettes cannot be advertised as 'light' or 'mild.'

The House voted 307-97 on Friday i
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ron Paul Gives His Views On The Topic

I agree with RP, this will only create a black market for the product.....eventually.

Marijuana is illegal right now, and is therefore easier to get for 13yr olds than it is for them to get alcohol.
That says ALOT!

I am not against no advertising near schools however, it's the same as no speeding near schools or parks.

I am kind of stuck with this ATS

Discuss!

www.wgntv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well, this law pisses me off a little (though I loved Ron Paul's bit on the subject).
I've been a smoker for two years now; I sometimes go through a pack a day, and sometimes go weeks without smoking. I'm not an addict; I really enjoy the taste and feel of a cigarette, especially when having some long debate or a drink. Clove cigarettes in particular were my first and still are my favorite cig; its not enough that I have to pay nearly ten bucks a pack now? They're just going to take them away?

The entire debate about tobacco is retarded. I really wish Congress had been dumb enough to prohibit it back in the twenties; it didn't work with alcohol, and they learned it the hard way. They're going to learn the same lesson once again with tobacco; the only problem is that they're doing it so slowly nobody's really noticed.
The subject is a hot one for me for one simple reason: Congress is attempting to take away the choice. They're slowly raising the prices, regulating the distribution, and making it so that while smoking is legal, its no longer remotely enjoyable. Its a sneaky, backhanded way of doing things, if you ask me. If they just illegalized it, it would become cool and, much like in the prohibition, people would virtually riot. A new tobacco mafia would be born.

Now, does that mean I think kids should smoke? Hell no; I'm completely behind the legal age for the purchase of tobacco. I never touched tobacco until I was eighteen, and it was because I chose to; nobody pressured me, and I had no preconcieved notions about how "cool" it was. I smelled a clove cigarette's smoke, and decided to give it a try because I liked it.
I just think that once someone reaches that age, their choice shouldn't be further limited by perfectionalistic idealogy and societal taboos.

Thats my bit on this. People have the right to choose, whether its to their benefit or detriment; if a law can't stop the distribution of marijauna, how can the government ever hope to control something as wide-spread and well-established as tobacco?
They can't; much like with marijuana, the people who want to do it are going to do it anyway, regardless of the price to their health or reputation. Like they said in the OP's news clip; despite all of the new laws and regulations, the tobacco companies have always managed to survive intact. That won't change. And whats after the tobacco, anyway? Alcohol, obviously; that would be the next to go. Then what; perhaps Pringles. Eat a can of Pringles a day, and you could have health problems. Its true. Does that make Pringles evil, or does that make the person who eats a can a day stupid?
Seems obvious to me, anyway.

Okay, I'm done ranting. As a matter of fact, I'm going to enjoy one of those clove cigarettes now. Hopefully the smoke will annoy some anti-smoking crusader, haha.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Awesome.

Let's keep this kind of thing coming. I am a smoker, and quite frankly I am tired of being seduced by those exact terms and those advertisements. The hardest thing when trying to quit is getting the idea off your mind.

This will help greatly. Hopefully in 25 years we can eliminate them all together. And I agree this will cause a spike in black market cigarette sales in the US, with imports probably coming in from Canada.

But that's the door they open when they make these kinds of decisions.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Notice how there is no restrictions on "Menthol" cigarettes. Because since Menthols are preferred by blacks, any restriction on them would be racist.

Unbelievable!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Surely you acknowledge the power of you own choice, though? I"m not trying to be rude or anything; I really don't understand addiction. I would think that if you truly wanted to quit, you simply would.
Keep in mind a line from a rather famous movie, "There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path." You can know what you need to do, but not want to do it; people do the same thing with excersise and diet every single day.

To put it shorter, what your mind knows is right for you and what you actually want can be quite different; rather than blame the nicotine, have you considered the possibility that you don't actually want to quit?

(spelling edit)
(more spelling)

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Malfeitor]

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Malfeitor]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

Certainly friend, I have wondered so in my past. And for a while I didn't want to quit, I actually enjoyed it. It was a great way to meet new people as smokers usually convene together in corners.

I live in Canada, so the winter is prime for meeting smokers outside.

Anyway, back to the point, my problem has been the physical addiction, and it truly is physical. Nicotine is said to have an effect 10 times more powerful than coc aine or Heroin.

Now it is a willpower thing, but the science behind it is as follows. Your brain contains millions of dopamine receptors, these regular good feelings, or endorphines. In a normal brain, endorphines are released for pain, happiness or other things that give you a sensation of joy.

When you are addicted to a substance such as Nicotine, those receptors are changed from dopamine to nicotine receptors, which means you only get that "happy" feeling when you light up and get some nicotine in your system.

Now I am an on and off smoker and have been for the better part of 5 years now, my entire self poisoning career has lasted about 15 years or so now.

But yes, it is a matter of choice, and I do enjoy the cigarette to some extend, but it does help having these things out of my face so when I do quit, it's not hard to get the idea out of my head.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ah, thank you for explaining; I think I can see your point of view now. I imagine it would be rather hard to require a cigarette rather than simply want one. Well, good luck to you; I hope you can find a happy medium, at least. I do so love to abstain from absinence, but its not the path for everyone.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Malfeitor

Yeah, don't worry I get more than my fair share of grief over it. My husband is a doctor and my eldest daughter is planning on going into medicine, I get a lecture everytime I light up.

Which is a good thing mind you

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I am on my last pack i will not buy anymore.

America has become full of panzy draft dodger's..and they make the rules for the country.

I say bs with all of em.

Very few making these law's are getting some rub down from anti smoking or drug companies to start with.

it's total bs.

It will lead to the FDA controlling how much sugar you can buy and put in drink's and snack cake's.
and even stuff i can;t imagine.

But anti-smoker's think they won the fight finely.
But they are going to loose more than they ever thought of in the long run.
There just way to stupid with there clean lung's to figure that out yet..

those fat non smoker's... will get taxed to death for there deep fried chicken
those McDonald burger's.

By allowing them to do this opens a flood gate on what they can call AKA bad for you and in turn make more money of it.

I can't wait till the OMG!!!!!!!!!!! they raised my junk food up 2 dollars a bag for chip's...
I am going to cuss them like there aint no tomorrow.
Because they brought it on them ourselves

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
I am on my last pack i will not buy anymore.

America has become full of panzy draft dodger's..and they make the rules for the country.

I say bs with all of em.

Very few making these law's are getting some rub down from anti smoking or drug companies to start with.

it's total bs.

It will lead to the FDA controlling how much sugar you can buy and put in drink's and snack cake's.
and even stuff i can;t imagine.

But anti-smoker's think they won the fight finely.
But they are going to loose more than they ever thought of in the long run.
There just way to stupid with there clean lung's to figure that out yet..

those fat non smoker's... will get taxed to death for there deep fried chicken
those McDonald burger's.

By allowing them to do this opens a flood gate on what they can call AKA bad for you and in turn make more money of it.

I can't wait till the OMG!!!!!!!!!!! they raised my junk food up 2 dollars a bag for chip's...
I am going to cuss them like there aint no tomorrow.
Because they brought it on them ourselves

Well said! You beat me to the punch.

Those that are laughing now. . .
I tried looking up that WWII poem about. . .

When they took the Gypsys, I didn't complain because I wasn't a Gypsy. . .

Couldn't find it.

Great post though!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Reading between the lines....

This legislative action is classifying the act of smoking a substance and regulating it. (Tobacco)

Which opens the door for legalizing other substances that are smoked in the same way. (Other things)

I feel this legislative action is actually a hurdle they have to overcome in order to un-ban other things.

After this process just watch the billions upon billions flow in from tax dollars.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Im sure there was no alcohol advertising during prohibition.Did that empty the speakeasys?Is this what we pay these knuckleheads in congress for?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ron Paul said it best: "The nanny state." Basically, that's the Government telling you that you're too weak, lazy and stupid to do things for yourself, so they'll do it for you. In this rare case, they're probably right.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
As A smoker, I have to agree with some of the new legislation.

It is not a bad thing to ban cigarettes from public spaces... sucks for those who are doing prison/jail time for it mean that they couldn't smoke in the outside courtyards anymore. It is also not a crime to want to have smoke free restaurants for kid also eat there and there is nothing wrong to smell the aroma of the food being prepared instead of the smell of smoke.

Cigarettes sponsored sports/events, other companies will gladly sponsors them as it is the case in Canada. This will not change anyone life.

Bigger warnings on packs of cigarettes is a good thing for Nicotine is addictive regardless of what tobacco companies says, they should also throw in, nicotine content, their additives, chemicals and the likes % wise. If the government feels that smoking is that bad for the population, they should let the smokers know how much arsenic/Formaldehyde/Benzaldehyde... they inhale per cigarette smoked.

But outlaw flavored tobacco products? Insane and a breach of liberties, yet another example on how the government is controlling day to day life. The only flavored cigarettes that is to be outlawed are them popeye candy cigarettes for kids buy them and it is a damned good way to ensure a new generation of smokers! Emulation is the first step to becoming a smoker, it acts of the subconscious of kids and I cannot understand for the life of me as to why candy companies are still making them!!!

In Canada, all of the mentioned measures have been implemented, the only thing that hasn't is the sale of flavored cigarillos, then again, I do not know of any Canadian cigarette companies who makes them and they are mostly imported from the US. Even tho Canada implemented those measures, they went a step further, they have taken the right for smoker to choose natural homegrown tobacco! Prior to 2001, Canadians had the choice to buy home grown tobacco, entire tobacco leaves and the likes, not anymore. They outlawed it citing some shady excuse that unregulated tobacco can be used as contraband tobacco. On this, the Canadian government cared much more about their own margin of tax profit than on the health of Canadians who chose to smoke untainted by some 600 chemicals.

If the Obama administration desire so much to reduce the smoker % in America and if the Obama administration cares so much about the health of americans, they should also outlaw the addition of chemicals in all cigarettes made in the US.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wow, does that I mean I can't buy an occasional clove anymore? If so, why not?

I don't even smoke tobacco regularly, and never your average cigarette, so what is up with taking my rights away?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I tell you the government sure is getting out of hand when it comes to the War on Smokers!

Ever since the taxes on Cigarettes have gone up in February I have had to stop driving my car and am now riding my bicycle because as between the high tax on Cigarettes and the high tax on Gasoline collected at the Cash Register I feel like I am coming dangerously close to being a tax paying citizen of this corrupt, amoral and unconstitutional government!

This is starting to annoy me Washington, need I remind you the consequences for that?

Forgive them father they never learn!

[edit on 13/6/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ok, I'm not a smoker and I happen to think its a pretty disgusting habit.

But COME ON!

This is ridiculous! The only part I agree with is the outdoor advertisements within 1000 ft of schools. The rest is just a ludicrous attack on the tobacco industry. Flavored cigarettes are illegal? Next thing you know they will make flavored alcoholic beverages illegal. What the hell is the point of that, exactly? Does the government honestly believe all of those stupid truth ads that say the cigs are flavored to attract little kids? Get real!

new topics

top topics

join