It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Controversial Election Results Raises Questions Over Its Relations to U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

With the results of Iran's election raising serious doubts and leading to clashes in the streets between riot police and hundreds of opposition supporters, questions now loom over how the controversy will affect relations between the U.S. and Iran. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the U.S. would continue to monitor the situation closely.But we, like the rest of the world, are waiting and watching to see what the Iranian people decide," she said at a news conference in Niagara Falls, Ontario. "The United States has refrained from commenting on the election in Iran. We obviously hope that the outcome reflects the genuine will and desire of the Iranian people."White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the Obama administration was "impressed by the vigorous debate and enthusiasm that this election generated, particularly among young Iranians."But U.S. officials are skeptical of the outcome, in which the government declared President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad the winner Saturday. U.S. analysts find it "not credible" that challenger Mir Hossein Mousavi would have lost the balloting in his hometown or that a third candidate, Mehdi Karoubi, would have received less than 1 percent of the total vote, a senior U.S. officials told FOX News. Despite a reportedly record turnout of 85 percent, the senior official said given the "not credible" counts for Mousavi and Karoubi, the turnout clearly was questionable.Another senior official said the Obama administration would not describe the outcome as legitimate or illegitimate or deem a victory by Mousavi as necessarily better.We're not going to characterize what would have been a better or worse scenario," the official said. "We will deal with this as it is, not as we wish it to be. "We have very serious foreign policy and national security issues at play here," the official added. "That was the case yesterday. It is the case today."Yet some U.S. lawmakers didn't hesitate to voice skepticism of the outcome. "There appears to be pretty good evidence that this is a cooked election," Rep. Dan Lungren, R-Calif., told FOX News. "And the most depressing thing for me is we were going to see whether in fact the true leaders of this country, the religious leaders, were going to allow for a real election to have an expression of the people. It appears now from what we see coming in is that was not the case," he said. "That gives an indication that they did not have a real intention of really have a change."

this could be a disaster in the middle east and then the world because it has been stated that if Ahmadinejad won, Israel would go to war with Iran which would stir up the whole region and just about every country over there will side with Iran and with our troops being right in the middle of the conflict with rockets flying over there heads, we will have to jump in and then countries outside the region will join and pick sides and that would be the start of WW3. Could this election hold this much weight?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As i watch this unfold.. I feel a sense of de-ja-vu of what is to come in the US and other nations that seek to suppress regardless a majority or minority of its citizens.

The G8 was in meeting talking about whether to pull back some of the stimulus packages and start to increase taxes to recoup what they already lent out.. Who do you think received those moneys the G8 governments gave money too?

The four mounties, in Canada, who were found to be in the wrong are now looking appeal the courts decision by saying they have no power over them due to the courts being a provincial body and not a federal body. So they are claiming they are above the law or morals of us lesser citizens.

Yesterday I watched an interview with CBC where someone from the human rights body of Canada was looking to simplify what constitutes hate crimes. I was under the impression that unless you could afford a high paying lawyer... you will be up against a large government body if they disprove of your views, regardless if it infringes on a single person or a group of individuals.

Scary times we live in when those in power use intimidation or threats to put others in place so they can reap the benefits of having so many serve them.... Hence why I'm not surprised about what's happening in Iran and how it will end in blood shed. Suppression is one tool used to supress....

join