It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the hell should I feel sorry, says girl soldier who abused Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Why the hell should I feel sorry, says girl soldier who abused Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison

www.dailyma il.co.uk

Normally, not much happens in Keyser, West Virginia, but today the folks in this quaint little railroad town, nestling in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, are spoilt for choice.

Either they can whoop and holler along to fiddle music at the annual Strawberry Festival or head down to the bookshop, where a local 'celebrity' - as her agent-cum-lawyer describes her - is signing first editions of her new biography.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
In this deeply disturbing interview, the trailer trash torturer who appalled the world by appearing in shocking 'souvenir' photographs remains utterly unrepentant and says she has 800 MORE torture photos that could rock the White House

It is important to remember when the governent fights extremely hard to keep things fromt he public it usually means that they are guilty as hell of wrong doing and not so much about national security.

www.dailyma il.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wow, why haven't we heard of this before? Seems she has been doing it for a while?

This is ridiculous, how could ANYBODY, be proud of torturing people? Innocent or not.

When living in Toronto many years ago, I met a man from Somalia, who become a good friend. He told me all kinds of stories of his youth, the things he witnessed, and the things he had to do to find a way into this country.

And he would have been somebody who has done things such as this, and he repents for all of it, the man has a hard time dealing, suffers from PTSD and anxiety.

It takes a very twisted person to go through that kind of background and do those kinds of things without feeling an ounce of remorse. I think a psych test for all new recruits should be done to keep this kind of person out of our armed forces.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
As a 12 yr vetran of the US Army it hasn't surprised me at all of the recent stories that are coming out. For example when an enlisted person refuses to do things that is not morial or ethical they are threatened with punishment against them, after awhile our troops become conditioned that if they don't do everything that they are ordered without question that nobody will be there to protect they're right to decide what is right or wrong even though these rights exist. They then feel justified due to lack of support by good morial people non-military and military.

And I know there will be some that will say that a solder has no right to question orders or we would have a very disfunctional military but my arguement will be proven correct when our solders are ordered to open fire upon us without questioning how wrong that will be... Remember Katrina and how they openly attacked and threatened the people unlawfully.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Most people i would say would be proud of torturing any one they can,a nd getting away with it. Only a few feel empathy for people really.

Disgusting persona nd typical that america wants her to make a good income on it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb

Unfortunetly I fear you are correct. But I don't think they will ever use our own on each other. They will get foreign troops to open fire on other foreign people.

Just like Gitmo, American's don't care cause it's not happening on their soil, it will be the same then.

I have had alot of army friends, have heard alot of stories of oppression and fear when given orders. And I can't understand the mentality of moraly gray, but it's not necessary in our world anymore.

There is a better way of doing things and starts with having a morally sound military.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

No Doubt, great comment...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

That's a pretty good point was in for 10 years. And yes if you didn't follow the order you took a chance of court martial whether the order was legal or not didn't matter because not following an order can and is considered a court martial offense. Pretty much a catch 22 no matter what you do your boat will be sunk.

So I wasn't surprised by this at all if anything she is exposing the truth of what really goes on concerning this area.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Awesome point made To The Tenth Power... You are completely correct especially about the part that our troops have proven that they will not open fire on each other while troops from other countries working along side us will. But I will say, our troops are being conditioned at this moment to consider the us public enemies of the state and that they might be ordered to fire upon us in order to weed out the us troops that wont go along with the program. I know of a few troops who are dealing with this very issue and are being punished and pushed by others to go along or be considered extremist themselves.

Great comment... Thanks for sharing

link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Disgusting persona nd typical that america wants her to make a good income on it.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Please show me how "america wants her to make a good income on it"?
Seriously. This comment is so far out there and absolutely false, its insulting to an entire nation.

Did you happen to read this in the article?

When the shop closes, two hours later, Lynndie England has autographed barely two dozen copies, mostly for acquaintances such as her old schoolteacher.

For even on her home territory, few people are willing to line the pockets of this fallen girl soldier; who posed for a stomach-churning series of 'souvenir' photographs that cost countless American lives and brought shame on the nation.

Since no established biographer would touch her life story (it was even dropped by the literary agent who handled O.J. Simpson's widely reviled book, If I Did It) her biography has been penned by a greenhorn local author, Gary Winkler.

Does not sound like too many Americans are wanting her to make a good income off of her disgusting behavior.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   
Whoops, dup!

[edit on 6/13/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What a sick person. I hope she has a change of heart.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

You are exactly right, it is a catch 22 and that was the sole reason for me as a person who wanted to make the military my career choice get out when I had the chance because I knew that I was going to be asked to do some very unmoral and unethical things entering Desert Storm. I walk the talk the best I can to lead as an example for my two boy's who need to know Morals and ethics are two of the main components as you live your life with Free Will... Even if it means detention or black hawks lol...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
For some reason it has become taboo and sin to criticize the United States Military, which can end up feeding and influencing incidents like this. I know I probably have an unpopular or minority opinion of the military, but I'll say it anyway.

People like this woman are what the military - particularly the Army - looks for. These unstable and violence-seeking psychopaths that get off on the thought of torturing or killing another human being that - down to the very last detail - is not the same as them are the most easily manipulated pawns of war, and thus, very attractive to the military of an imperialistic, world police nation.

I know that the military consists of many great men and women who deserve more than a salute for what they do and what they sacrifice, and people like her should in no way reflect poorly on them. But the military leadership as a whole - the "higher ups" - have created a culture within the military that people like this woman are the most valuable and most "patriotic", and that culture infects the minds of many well-off, well-intended men and women who enlist.

I am so tired of this image we have created of ourselves in this country - mainly through our military - that we are these arrogant, tough, bad ass "patriots" who are superior to the rest of the world. It is that image that makes us the most hated country on the planet, and it is that fact that leads to violence against American people and American soldiers. Are our egos and pride really worth sacrificing the lives of Americans over?

If this woman isn't sorry for what she did, and she feels she's some bad ass for saying so, I say her punishment shouldn't be prison, but a vacation - in Iraq. Drop her off in Iraq with nothing but the clothes on her back. If she can survive for one month, she can come home and live the rest of her life free. But if she ends up being the next face displayed on a beheading video...oh well! Why the hell should I feel sorry?

[edit on 6/13/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Really? doesn't seem that she's doing too well, since very few seem to be buying the book...

This hardly reflects the average American, contrary to many opinions around here, and elsewhere. It certainly doesn't reflect my opinion of those involved...reprehensible behaviour is the least of my opinions...

She, along with the others involved, have brought nothing but shame and dishonor to our country, our military, and, of course, to themselves. She may deny it publicly, but I doubt she much likes that person starring back out at her from the mirror...

For you to say something like this shows that you really don't know America as well as you think you do...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

WOW Novus,
Very good post, your comments and points are very well taken and I would also have to say very well said.

Appreciate your stand...

I will add that their are very educated, well to do soldiers in our military serving today (as always) along with not so educated or well to do (as always) whom are easily conditioned to act out as they are being intructed do to the sheep factor. The many who choice to stand for right and fight against the wrongs are being betrayed in the National Media as the problem.

Great very point.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
People like Lynndie, imo, are missing a part of their brains. That is, the part that feels deep emotions. These people can only feel fear, boredom and anger.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The question "Will American soldiers fire on American civies?" was answered in the 60's with Kent State.

If you think they will not plow you down, you have a SHOCK comming!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

It's something nobody wants to see or believe but it is becoming more and more aparent that we have not been heading on the right direction for quite sometime now.

Great comment. Thanks

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

There are plenty of great people in the military, and it is both sad and sickening that people like this woman create such a negative image of those who have done nothing wrong and have sacrificed everything.

But this is the sort of behavior our culture breeds. If our military leadership would simply require higher education and screen recruits for a good set of morals, it would go a long way in both reducing incidents like this and improving our image abroad, which, combined, could save many American lives.

That simply will not happen though. And that is the tragedy in all of this. Stupid and immoral people are the ideal soldier. They are easily indoctrinated and easily convinced to follow radical and criminal orders. Intelligent and morally sound individuals simply would not do things like this, and our military leadership knows that.

It really is sad that a simple change for the requirements of a good education and good morals - even if it meant a big payoff in the form of less American kidnappings, tortures, and murders - is an unacceptable option for those who run our government and our military.

Until we have a change of leadership and a change of policy, these incidents and the retaliation of the enemy to them will unfortunately continue to occur.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join