It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colonize the Moon? NASA to Scope It Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Colonize the Moon? NASA to Scope It Out

www.newser.com

NASA will launch a mission Wednesday to gather information about how humans might someday colonize the moon, the Los Angeles Times reports. A robotic orbiter will provide detailed maps of the topography and first-of-their kind peeks inside craters where ice might be hiding. “We're going to provide NASA with what is needed to get human beings back to the moon and to stay there for an extended duration,” said one mission official.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Interesting to see if this succeed's or if it fails due to a technical malfunction.

This is a big step however the reason for not landing is some what a controversy as many did want a luner landing but was considered a high risk. It is well known that water is present so why are they informing of us of searching for water.

And people are still wondering or asking for disclosure.

www.newser.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We may need to ask the existing residents to move out first...

...or at the very least ask for directions to the best spots for human habitation

[edit on 13/6/2009 by skibtz]

CX

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sounds cool....which side of the moon would you pick to live on?

Talking of which, with all the talk of the dark side of the moon and what NASA is keeping from us there, wouldn't we find out if we got to live there anyway?

Maybe it's not for us though, maybe it's just for a select few who will be well out of the way when it all kicks off with N.K

CX.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

This time, we're not just going for a walkabout or to hit golf balls and cruise around in a $10-million moon buggy, as the Apollo astronauts did. Ultimately, we hope to pack up the kids and the dog and move in.

"We're going to provide NASA with what is needed to get human beings back to the moon and to stay there for an extended duration," said Craig Tooley, project manager for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, one part of the two-pronged mission.

Both of the spacecraft will be launched together with a two-stage rocket, and nearly four months from now, the agency will use the spent second stage of the rocket as a battering ram to create a crater 66 feet wide by 13 feet deep and send a 6-mile-high plume wafting into space that should provide a show for hobbyists on Earth with decent-sized telescopes.

Anyone care to tell me how they are going to punch a hole. ?

And a bit farther away, down on terra firma, hobbyists by the thousands will be training their telescopes on the moon's underbelly.

NASA still hasn't decided which crater to pummel. It must be shallow enough that the material blasted out can rise above the rim so the spacecraft can fly through it to take measurements, Colaprete said.

edit: www.latimes.com... Its the same as related link

[edit on 13-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Huh, I wonder if the people already living on the moon will enjoy being bombarded with a weapon of some sorts.

A missile seems like the only thing with enough kick to punch a whole that big.

Ohh well, I guess we'll see when the time comes. I wouln't hold my breath though.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
NASA? Moon colony? HAHAHAHAHAOHAHHAHA!!!!!

Yeah right folks, we will be lucky if our country holds together in the next 10 years and they are talking about colonies on the moon!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Colonizing the moon seems very feasible to me, what with our current technologies and the exponential rate at which they have been advancing. The previous posters all have good points though: we already know that water is present, for what reason exactly are we punching this hole considering that we pretty much already know what the moon is comprised of(not to mention it's basic topographical layout), and where the heck are we going to come up with the money for such an ambitious venture?

A clever cover story to annihilate the moon's current inhabitants???
I guess we'll find out in the coming years.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
NASA? Moon colony? HAHAHAHAHAOHAHHAHA!!!!!

Yeah right folks, we will be lucky if our country holds together in the next 10 years and they are talking about colonies on the moon!

Okay, here is a simple example for you to rationalize. Which method does a shepherds use to control either 100 or 500 sheep on his own. If you answer me with dogs then your half way there. Take the time to ponder this simple but elusive answer.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
Colonizing the moon seems very feasible to me, what with our current technologies and the exponential rate at which they have been advancing. The previous posters all have good points though: we already know that water is present, for what reason exactly are we punching this hole considering that we pretty much already know what the moon is comprised of(not to mention it's basic topographical layout), and where the heck are we going to come up with the money for such an ambitious venture?

A clever cover story to annihilate the moon's current inhabitants???
I guess we'll find out in the coming years.

We are not allowed to land or do any form of surface or underground probing what so ever on or under the dark side of the moon. This is why we are doing what we are doing on the visible side of the moon.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The answer I come up with will make just as much sense as NASA going back to the moon.

We can barely afford to make the interest payment on the national debt, our electricity grid is 30 years out of date, our roads are crumbling, the entire world thinks we are douchebags and yet someone is still worried about the moon??? This pie in the sky mentality is what I believe has pushed us into this situation.

The time for a lunar colony was directly after the Apollo program. INSTEAD we waisted the past 30 years picking our puds in low earth orbit. The window for moon bases and 2001 Space Odyssey dreams have come and gone.....we need to focus our attention here at home!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

The initial idea to colonize the moon was to mine it for its resources apart from other obvious reasons such as a permanent stable space port how ever radical that idea sounds.

Sure enough if and when we do decide to colonize it will be subterranean for many reasons.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Sorry but it is impossible to colonize anything beyond our magnetosphere with our current technology.

If humans leave the magnetosphere for mere moments they have increased risk of cancer and cataracts. (Proven in Astronauts)

Why?
There is no protection from cosmic rays outside the Earth's magnetosphere.

Unless we suddenly develop our own portable mini magnetosphere within the next 5 years this will not happen for a very long time

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

But we can maintain short terms of life support enough to begin the development. I doubt that we should see anything under five years but the foundations can be laid. Lets keep in mind that the next generation of orbital vehicles will be having take off and landing abilities unlike the Space Shuttle.

new topics

top topics

join