It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Releases Teen "Terrorist"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

U.S. Releases Teen "Terrorist"

newspirates.com

The youngest detainee held at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, seized when he was just 14 years old, has been released after seven years in captivity.

Mohammed El Gharani, a Chadian citizen, was set free five months after a U.S. federal judge ordered him released after reviewing the evidence against him and ruling that it did not prove he was ever an “enemy combatant.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
From Captive To Suicide Bomber

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

...government failed to prove any of the allegations in court and U.S. District Judge Richard Leon ruled in January that Gharani should be freed. Most of the accusations were based on unreliable information given by other detainees at Guantanamo, Leon said.

Proof that leads generated by the means of torture are often false. You would think fingering a 14 year old should have been a sign that this was the case... but in itself is proof that the DoD was putting a tremendous amount of pressure on their forces to come up with 'results'...'proofs'...'evidence' to validate their means.

Now if we find this kid a couple years from now connected to a domestic terrorist plot, we'll know why and who to blame... though the neo-cons will likely say that the original intelligence gained via torture was right all along and Obama was wrong for shutting down Guantanamo and pulling out of Iraq.

newspirates.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The Neo-Conservatives, the Bush Administration, and anyone who ever supported them have no credibility what so ever. Literally every day there's a new scandal or evidence of atrocities committed by these American Nazis and it's amazing that we actually made it through those eight years. You all can scream and cry about the NWO and conspiracies and Obama but no one can deny (except those still clutching their bumper stickers) that the Bush Administration and the Neo-Con ideology is a complete failure. The one nice thing is the Neo-Conservative ideology is dead and never coming back. Raping and imprisoning children in the name of god and country on top of everything else. I'm proud to be an American

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
The one nice thing is the Neo-Conservative ideology is dead and never coming back.

I wish this was true, but unfortunately there is a mutation of the neo-con virus taking place as we speak. The impact of the past decade of fabricated terrorism is likely to come back to haunt us in the form of real terrorism. When i look at all the details in the big picture, this plan clearly comes through. All the NWO needs are a couple more attacks to sell us their consolidated grip on our collective resources.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
In my further dig on this story, i discovered that we have another kid at Gitmo, that we are reluctant to release. Toronto-born Omar Khadr is charged with murder, attempted murder, conspiracy, material support for terrorism and spying. He apparently killed a US soldier in Afghanistan in 2002 when he was 15... now 22.

His lawyers have accurately pointed out, “No international criminal tribunal established under the laws of war, from Nuremberg forward, has ever prosecuted former child soldiers as war criminals.”

Omar was removed from school by his father at age 10, spent much of his youth being shuttled back and forth between Canada and the Middle East and, at age 15, under the sponsorship of his father, was recruited by a militant group in Afghanistan. Why should this kid be held responsible for decisions made for him by his father?

Here's the CBC's coverage from last summer:

Google Video Link

[edit on 13-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I do find this case odd because this person was detained by the Pakistan military and handed over to the US. That could be a reason for the lack of evidence but it is odd that the US took this person.

I do want to point out that today we use terms like child soldiers and teens which grab attention. By today's standards we see teens as young and innocent in our societies. This was not always the case for our society. Today our world has grown so complex that we view anyone under the age of 18 as a child or minor. In other areas of the world this is not the case. In some parts of the world by the age of 15 people are expected to provide for themselves and make their own decisions. Fighting is one of those decisions.

I am not going to sit here and tell you that this is ok. This is just a story from some source which hardly provides all of the facts. We just need to be aware that there are differences between the societies.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Styki]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

You are right, I stand corrected. According to the Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers record on international standards:

Protocols to the four Geneva Conventions of 1949 (1977):
The protocols set 15 as the minimum age for recruitment or use in armed conflict. This minimum standard applies to all parties, both governmental and non-governmental, in both international and internal armed conflict.

Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict: This was adopted by the UN General Assembly on 25 May 2000 and entered into force on 12 February 2002. The protocol sets 18 as the minimum age for direct participation in hostilities, for recruitment into armed groups, and for compulsory recruitment by governments. States may accept volunteers from the age of 16 but must deposit a binding declaration at the time of ratification or accession, setting out their minimum voluntary recruitment age and outlining certain safeguards for such recruitment.

new topics

top topics

join