It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man ' cooked ' to death in Australian prison van

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Man ' cooked ' to death in Australian prison van

www.breitbart.com

A coroner Friday dismissed treatment of the 46-year-old man as inhumane and a "disgrace," saying he would ask prosecutors to consider criminal charges over his death from heatstroke in Western Australia in January 2008.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What a horrible slow death this man must have suffered . Being transported to jail he spent four hours in the back of a prison van in 122 degree heat. His body had third degree burns where it touched the metal floor. I am sure the driver and the guards were fully aware of this man's suffering during all that time.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
That is quite horrible, heard about it on the early news here in Aus.

I had no idea what he was convicted of at the time, and was of the opinion "Well, he must have been a pretty crooked, evil and twisted man to end up like that". Turns out all he did was drink and drive.

I cannot find anything on the man's nationality, but I personally suspect it may have been racially motivated. That's just a guess on my part though, as we have some pretty racist police in our country.

Not claiming that's what it was, just my opinion. Nor am I proclaiming that most or a lot of police are racist, I've just witnessed some pretty disgraceful behavior personally involving police and immigrants in our country.

Condolences to the man's family and a big
to those responsible.

Edit: Wait, do prison guards / drivers even qualify as police? Well either way, replace 'police' with 'people'.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Obscure Perception]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It really is a sad state when people feel that they are somehow special and more important than others...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: Struth!
You'd think here in Australia and especially in the outback due to the extremes of temperature and weather that can occur here that OH&S would have mandated that these paddy wagons have both heating and air conditioning piped into the cage as well as duty of care protocol when it comes to the police being in charge of those who they apprehend and detain for whatever reason. Seems negligent not only on the part of the officers involved but also the system that provides these officers with shoddy equipment in such harsh and trying environments.

Personal Disclosure: I'm NOT a happy little Vegimite on this issue.

Starred and Flagged! Well done OP for bringing this to my attention.

Various links to pictures of Australian Paddy wagons to follow....

City paddy wagon.

Rural Paddy wagon w/ small cage.

Rural Paddy wagon w/ large cage.

Edited to add links to pics of several Australian Paddy wagons.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obscure Perception

I cannot find anything on the man's nationality, but I personally suspect it may have been racially motivated. That's just a guess on my part though, as we have some pretty racist police in our country.

I kind of knew before I checked that this would be an Aboriginal death. An elder no less. I wonder what ancient stories, language and knowledge of country was destroyed in that van with him.

Another source

THE Director of Public Prosecutions will be asked to consider criminal charges in the case of an Aboriginal elder who was effectively cooked in the back of a prison van on a scorching day in the West Australian outback.

This is how genocide occurs in Australia these days. It is usually not reported and it is not new.

Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody

It is highly unlikely that any charges will be laid.

In 2002,
*there were 4,494 Indigenous prisoners in Australia (20% of the Australian prisoner population, while Indigenous people make up less than 2% of the civilian population)

*the national rate of imprisonment for Indigenous persons was 1,800 per 100,000 of the adult Indigenous population

* Western Australia had approximately 2,400 Indigenous prisoners per 100,000 of the adult Indigenous population

* Nationally, the Indigenous rate of imprisonment was approximately 15 times that of the non-Indigenous population

From 1990-2002,
* the majority of Aboriginal prisoner deaths (65%) occurred in prison custody, while 34% were in police custody
* 18% of all deaths in prison custody were of Indigenous prisoners
* During this period, the proportion of the prison population that was Indigenous rose from 14% to 20%
* In 1995 the crude death rate of Indigenous prisoners (5.7%) was more than twice that of non-Indigenous prisoners (2.4%)

During 2002, 69 people died in all forms of custody in Australia, 14 of whom were Indigenous persons.

source

It upsets me that, while these statistics are old and from what I believe the situation has 'improved' slightly since, the total disregard for the humanity of indigenous people in rural Australia continues.

What is needed now is much more than a cleverly worded government apology.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ivycutler]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
When stupid parents leave their kids in the car to poach they get done for manslaughter here in Aus. These cops (if anyone) should know better and therefore should be thrown in jail like anyone else. No excuses! Cya boys,,, don't bend over to pick up the soap!

My immediate though was... I bet he was an aboriginal. I guess we'll find out on the news soon enough!

IRM

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Totally pisses me off!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What a horrible story..
As horrible as it is, would this be classified as breaking news? It is from early 2008, I believe..

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Explanation: Here is an update on this tragic story...

No charges to be laid over prison van death. [abc.net.au]

Updated 11 hours 37 minutes ago

Mr Ward was being driven in the back of a prison van in searing temperatures in The Goldfields.

Map: Kalgoorlie 6430 Related Story: Family wants more compo after prison van death Western Australia's Director of Public Prosecutions has informed the widow of an Aboriginal elder who died in a scorching prison van in 2008 that the officers involved in his death will not be charged.

The Aboriginal man, known as Mr Ward, was being driven in the back of a prison van in searing temperatures in The Goldfields in January 2008.

The air-conditioning unit was not working and the temperature inside reached 50 degrees Celsius as Mr Ward was transported 360 kilometres from Laverton to Kalgoorlie.

Related article...

Upset and shocked over Ward decision [abc.net.au]

Updated 2 hours 6 minutes ago

The Aboriginal Legal Service in Western Australia says it is shocked and disappointed that no criminal charges will be laid over the death of Aboriginal elder, Mr Ward.

The Warburton elder died in 2008 after being transported hundreds of kilometres in the back of a prison van in searing heat.

The airconditioning in the back of the van was not working and Mr Ward collapsed on the trip from Laverton to Kalgoorlie when temperatures reached into their 40s.

A coronial inquest found the Department of Corrective Services, the two prison van drivers and their employer G4S were all partly responsible for his death.

Please see both linked articles for full story.

Personal Disclosure: I'm so freaking
and
at the moment and I'd rather not have the
catching me posting filthy so I will just let this info stand as is!

Edited link fail. soz

[edit on 27-6-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Disgusting. I will honor him, one day.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
What an awful shame.

If this happens regularly enough that several posters knew this man was a Aborigine even before checking, you guys need to start putting some serious pressure on your government to punish these guys. I dont know your laws, but unless you have a statute of limitations on murder, those men can still be charged. And should be.

And 200k for cooking a man to death? That settlement is an insult as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

The rural wagon with the large cage looks like something one would see at the zoo.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Just another result of global warming, people.

WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. PEOPLE ARE BEING COOKED ALIVE.

HOW CAN YOU IGNORE THIS?!?!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
We at the US will send in a special ops team and extract these punks and place them in guantanamo with the rest of the prisoners. Every time we cook them and simmer them. Plastic surgeons will come in and replace their skin with new synthetic skin and redo the cycle. Rinse, repeat.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

They are not dogs, they are humans, once you treat them that way, maybe, just maybe they won't end up in prison again like the PIGS would want them to.

FTP

new topics

top topics

join