It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion: What if science could erase our memories?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Well you can create anything groundbreaking without there being both positive and negative effects...

Personally I think this would greatly increase the amount of happiness people have in general, and show them just how much their world view and unhappiness is really caused by memory, and nothing objective.

Uh.. happiness as in "Soma"? Remember that one??

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Found a link in case you don't remember Soma in Brave New World. Hunka Hunka, it might be a good movie title for you to watch given your acceptance of this technology.

Soma in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

"I don't understand anything," she said with decision, determined to preserve her incomprehension intact. "Nothing. Least of all," she continued in another tone "why you don't take soma when you have these dreadful ideas of yours. You'd forget all about them. And instead of feeling miserable, you'd be jolly. So jolly,"

""Because our world is not the same as Othello's world. You can't make flivvers without steel-and you can't make tragedies without social instability. The world's stable now. People are happy; they get what they want, and they never want what they can't get. They're well off; they're safe; they're never ill; they're not afraid of death; they're blissfully ignorant of passion and old age; they're plagued with no mothers or fathers; they've got no wives, or children, or lovers to feel strongly about; they're so conditioned that they practically can't help behaving as they ought to behave. And if anything should go wrong, there's soma. Which you go and chuck out of the window in the name of liberty, Mr. Savage. Liberty!" He laughed. "Expecting Deltas to know what liberty is! And now expecting them to understand Othello! My good boy!""

[edit on 13/6/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
One day after they dumb this crap into our water, we will all wake up not knowing what happened....The gov will give us some BS story and we will be forced to believe it because we have no memories.......

A Few people will be resistant to it and know the truth and try to speak out. They will be killed off and the few who heard them will start a resistance and try to seek the truth and spread it....They will be hunted be god knows who ( prob everyone , gov, cia,)

Nothing good can come of this because we are not advanced enough to use it ONLY for positive reasons.....Our gov always looks to find weapons and things that control....

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
Hunka, i've just thought of one invention that has positively influenced my life, and that I see no negative side effects to......strip club.

Joking aside, I agree that the erasing of selected memories COULD make people much happier.
However, I know that I myself would never knowingly submit to such a treatment, as what I have experienced is part of what makes me who I am. As far as i'm concerned, it's the rough points in ones' life that really gives them character and teaches them a lesson

Agreed, I can understand how some people would not want this... some people don't want chemotherapy either... it's more of a quality of life thing.

I think it's the experiences we go through, not necessarily the memory of them which creates the character in people. Memories are more like reminders...

In the end, nothing is inherently good or bad, not even strip clubs :-)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
You are a hoot...

Unfortunately not at all.

How does History clearly show this?

Just open your eyes, and do your own history homework before advocating such dangerous technologies.

As I mentioned, technology isn't the issue, it's how we use it... that's the one thing History does teach us...

History only shows that any invention has positive and negative uses...

Yeah, "positive and negative uses", that's exactly what they also said about the concentration camps.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

The fact that you equate a mental technology with concentration camps proves you have a worldview which is best described as exemplary dualism...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The days of science fiction are becoming real!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Let’s put it this way: It’s also about how much we trust this government/TPTB. And you seem to have a LOT of trust. "A tad" too much IMO ...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Let’s put it this way: It’s also about how much we trust this government. And you seem to have a LOT of trust. A "tad" too much IMO ...

Not at all... it's not about how much we trust anything outside of ourselves.

It's about who we are inside and how much responsibility we take for our own existence. It's not about worrying about what others can do to us, it's about focusing our energies on what we can do to enable the lifestyle we desire given the resources at hand.

Once again, happiness is not an objective phenomenon... it is not dependent on anything outside of ourselves.

Interestingly enough though, this new technology can also have an effect on that by erasing memories..

I'd like to try it...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
All true and well, but place this in the wrong hands and you have series security issue on all fronts

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The same is true of much tech which exists today.

I'm not the one to say something is bad just because it could be used for evil in the wrong hands. Those who live by the sword die by the sword...

Personally though, I'd like to try it out...

As for the Brave New World reference much earlier in this thread which I admit I missed earlier...

I do indeed espouse better living through chemicals... and I do believe that the subjective realm is the only true battlefield.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If (and that's a big if) a procedure like this could be delivered from a trustworthy source then count me in. I've got a couple of memories and a negative life experience haunting me which I'd rather never ever remember again.

Sure, something like this could be abused, but you know what? Anything can be abused.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I didn't think we would ever agree on anything.... but we are in direct alignment on this.

Is that a chill I feel rising up from the earths core? :-)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I am willing to bet it could be a very useful tool in fighting Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

A very useful tool, but in the wrong hands..... Scary!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

www.imdb.com...

Even in the movie the process was selective--but still served as a warning. I would be very uneasy about any practical applications as an outcome the research.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Its like the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, everhappy lifes but how can they control what memories are being erased? every human brain is different, neurons fire different, the patterns cant be the same for every person so that leaves them with the option to "format" - creating a blank slate. The result would be adult babies that cant walk or talk.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
well i think its an awful sort of idea ... without memories we dont evolve. we cant change what we cant remember. We cant grow in any meaningful way.

imagine dating your ex wife, over and over and over again !!! with the same result.

if we cant face our own memories, no matter how difficult, then we are destined to live in fear forever.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by susan 1963

Indeed, we are a product of past, present and future memories. Without them were simply a different person. So this could pose an interesting concept.

Example if person A wanted to hurt me and successfully achieved it, if i was to earse that memory, wouldn't that alter my future interaction and create an alternate future of what should have been.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hasn't this already been discussed in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind? (great movie) I'm pretty sure this would have unintended consequences and probably drive the person nuts, I hate when I don't remember something or someone else doesn't remember something I found important...bad idea.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Say the CIA wanted to torture terrorist suspects and then make certain the victim doesn't remember the torture. Toss him a little ZIP.

Is it still torture, if they don't remember it? If there is no lasting effect?

Anyway, I would never want any of my memories erased. I am still pissed about being born with no memories. They make us who we are, they help us evolve, they help our spirits toward enlightenment.

Plus, think of the nasty deja vu that you could get!! That would be torturous!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by susan 1963
well i think its an awful sort of idea ... without memories we dont evolve. we cant change what we cant remember. We cant grow in any meaningful way.

imagine dating your ex wife, over and over and over again !!! with the same result.

if we cant face our own memories, no matter how difficult, then we are destined to live in fear forever.

You've taken the argument to the other end of the slippery slope. I'm thinking about something like in the movie "Paycheck" with Ben Affleck. Specific memories were erased.

I don't want my entire past erased because I know that I'm the sum of my life experiences, but you know what? Only a fool believes that everything that happens to them must be for their own betterment. Personally I would like year 10, month 7 erased from my memory completely. I could probably even narrow it down further. While you may argue Neitsche (sp?) in that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I know better - I know that some experiences you can't let go of no matter how hard you try, and a few that stay and haunt you, they only hinder you in life, like a cancer or a painful arthritis constantly stabbing you as a reminder, saying "I'm still here by the way".

[edit on 19-6-2009 by sos37]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join