It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion: What if science could erase our memories?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Opinion: What if science could erase our memories?

www.digitaljournal.com

Recently, New York researchers discovered how to delete memories in rodents. If the memory-erasing drug could work on humans, the consequences to control what recollections remain in our minds would be monumental.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.digitaljournal.com

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

those researchers in Brooklyn injected a drug called ZIP into a rat's brain, which blocks PKMzeta, a molecule that plays a major role in memory retention.

When the rats infused with ZIP tried to navigate a chamber filled with electric shocks, they continued to hurt themselves, forgetting what dangerous area continued to shock them. Before the injection, the rats could navigate the chamber safely.

This is possibly one of the most disturbing news i come across in a long time. The implications of such a drug are equal to that of the discover of the A-bomb.

The applications are mind numbing to say the least, however i must point out that our memories are what define our every day thought process of what one must and must not do. Everything you are as human being is a direct link which is derived from your memory's, take that away and you have just engineered a new human being at who ever has the authority.

Now for the obvious applications on a higher level.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, naysayers point out the potential problems of bringing ZIP to market. Say the CIA wanted to torture terrorist suspects and then make certain the victim doesn't remember the torture. Toss him a little ZIP. Or conspiracy theorists might wonder if nefarious governments may want to enslave us with some ZIP injection (perhaps masquerading as flu shots), allowing us to forget the past transgressions of our elected officials.

www.digitaljournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This might have legitimate uses as well. Trauma victims could be given this to forget the horrors that occurred to them. This might be beneficial to therapy.

I know I wouldn't mind forgetting my ex wife.

Of course its nefarious uses outweigh the legitimate ones, but there is a bright side to it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
A quandary only a science fiction writer could love!

Whatever the possible positive uses, the negatives far outweigh them. I hope that they lose their funding or something of that nature, but i'll bet that these methods will be researched to the point of being a near-exact science within a decade. Scary stuff! S&F

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This has been around for ages, stop believing things are just here now. How dangerous this is.

Say if the government commits endless amounts of crimes against you, they can erase them without you knowing and possibly put your life in further danger.

Who decides to do these things,and as we know people are all corrupt.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I agree as far as using for traumatic situations, but on the other side, its those traumatic situations which ultimately program us from further danger or happiness.

I guess like every thing, it has its positive uses and its negative uses.

As for this being around previously, yes it has, but it did not have that success rate as it has been presented.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If you think this is straight out of some Sci Fi movie I ask why?

We have a natural memory eraser, Alzheimer's disease.

Discovered in 1906, TPTB have been examining the causes of Alheimers, trying to figure out how they could intentionally trigger it in a human.

Doesn't seem like Sci Fi to me, just understanding a natural disease and isolating it for "bad" purposes.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: So science finally catches up with a funky new chemical that does what blackmarket pills, powders and potions have been doing since like before the ante diluvians got their feet wet!
:shk:

Personal Disclosure: I wonder if he can get an analogue of the drug he's come up with to target just the amygdala and that way we'll have an effective tool in our armory to combat the disabling effects of PTSD!

Edited to fix emoticon.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well you can create anything groundbreaking without there being both positive and negative effects...

Personally I think this would greatly increase the amount of happiness people have in general, and show them just how much their world view and unhappiness is really caused by memory, and nothing objective.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Who decides to do these things,and as we know people are all corrupt.

I will beg to differ. Such behavior is not a choice of Human Hearted individuals. It is the Lizard Hearted that make these choices.

We are NOT "all" corrupt.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
...Personally I think this would greatly increase the amount of happiness people have in general, and show them just how much their world view and unhappiness is really caused by memory, and nothing objective.

What a total ... Do you have the slightest idea what you're talking about, buddy? You don't.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hmmm I personally wouldn't mind some of that mind-erasing goodness.

I have a few memories / ex-girlfriends I'd love to forget!

One use I personally find interesting:

"Saw a UFO you say? Well, take one of these and report it in the morning..."

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole

...Personally I think this would greatly increase the amount of happiness people have in general, and show them just how much their world view and unhappiness is really caused by memory, and nothing objective.

What a total ... Do you have the slightest idea what you're talking about, buddy? You don't.

Yes I do. I've actually experienced memory loss of tragic things which caused me to come to this conclusion.

Why would you assume what I know about and don't?

Besides Knowledge is simply subjective impressions captured in memory...

Once again, happiness is not an objective phenomenon. It is totally subjective.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Yes I do. I've actually experienced memory loss of tragic things which caused me to come to this conclusion....

No you don’t. You cannot compare that experience to an artificial memory/knowledge erasure technology.

History CLEARLY shows that such technology would sooner or later get out of hand and be misused to erase the memory/knowledge of “unwanted” political opponents.

This would be nothing but THE WORST IMAGINABLE NIGHTMARE. Let me put it this way: If you have memory/knowledge erasure technology you don’t need concentration camps anymore.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolBlackHole

You are a hoot...

How does History clearly show this?

History only shows that any invention has positive and negative uses... everything does.

I say bring it on, because there are lots of memories I'd like to erase.

The only thing which really matters is our subjective experience...

Because happiness is not an objective phenomenon

[edit on 13-6-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hunka, i've just thought of one invention that has positively influenced my life, and that I see no negative side effects to......strip club.

Joking aside, I agree that the erasing of selected memories COULD make people much happier.
However, I know that I myself would never knowingly submit to such a treatment, as what I have experienced is part of what makes me who I am. As far as i'm concerned, it's the rough points in ones' life that really gives them character and teaches them a lesson

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You are a hoot...

Unfortunately not at all.

How does History clearly show this?

Just open your eyes, and do your own history homework before advocating such dangerous technologies.

History only shows that any invention has positive and negative uses...

Yeah, "positive and negative uses", that's exactly what they also said about the concentration camps.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
First of all, we are not there yet. They mess up with rodents and it is at least several years to go to people from there. We are a little more complex then rodents and there are a lot of different protein kinases, so ZIP can mess around with a lot of things.
Second, it is not erasing specific memories. Only long terms memory retention in general. So what happened years ago is not going to be forgotten. But as for something recent that is still short term memory waiting to go into long term one - it pretty much blocks this step. Also rats appeared to act normally (ate , interacted) just could not remember that they got zapped (and ZIPed) in the same location yesterday.
Third - it is a tool. It can be used for good and bad, people are the ones who decide how to use it. Generally, "evil" uses are just as common as "good" ones, or even outnumber them - but we cannot stop scientific progress and there are technologies with worse posiible uses in the future.
If someone wants to read full scientific article:
www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
First of all, we are not there yet. They mess up with rodents and it is at least several years to go to people from there. We are a little more complex then rodents and there are a lot of different protein kinases, so ZIP can mess around with a lot of things.
Second, it is not erasing specific memories. Only long terms memory retention in general. So what happened years ago is not going to be forgotten. But as for something recent that is still short term memory waiting to go into long term one - it pretty much blocks this step. Also rats appeared to act normally (ate , interacted) just could not remember that they got zapped (and ZIPed) in the same location yesterday.
Third - it is a tool. It can be used for good and bad, people are the ones who decide how to use it. Generally, "evil" uses are just as common as "good" ones, or even outnumber them - but we cannot stop scientific progress and there are technologies with worse posiible uses in the future.

That's correct, basically. But it's getting very dangerous. Don’t we all know the government has been stepping up this kind of research for many years now on behalf of not so altruistic purposes, so to speak. And it’s really getting out of hand about all those “new” technologies. Do you feel at ease knowing our own government is - increasingly - getting capable of wiping out the entire population in a few hours, be it physically or mentally.

And just by the by the by, what about using the money, or at least a substantial part of what goes into this mad kind of research to simply help the poor instead. It’s not more mad technologies we badly need, but more considerateness for ALL human beings on this planet.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Does this mean I will have to cancel my trip to Recall?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join