It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians sue for right to burn gay teen novel

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I

Well congratulations you have successfully killed the thread by scaring everyone away ... you could replace homosexual with black and sound just like a raving racist

You have shown characatures of Christians using extreme examples and out takes edited to portray them in the worst possible light while telling us gay is normal and gay is natural. Well don't want to leave ya without a taste of some of that but merely to establish the idea that their are extreme examples beyond normal in ANY group.

EXAMPLE: you say replace the word homosexual with black and ill sound like a raving racist yet it is you who is the bigot and me defending those you hate merely for their beliefs and you don't see that.

You see what I have posted and even you are ashamed of it. It isn't ME that scares people, it is what I am showing them gays are involed in and if you don't like the reflection you see in the mirror, you blame the mirror saying it is me. Well here is the mirror reflection of you like replacing the word homosexual with Christian and guess what?

You would sound just like me.

He would KILL us? Just for saying how gay?

Umm Jeez, HOW GAY IS THAT
Yeah, we all have our best examples of normal and those who have tried to give me some Christian reputation to live up who think I am not Christian enough for them, asking what Jesus would do what Jesus would say etc. Like I said before, Jesus pissed a lot of people off and it was because they couldn't outwit him. One thing you'll notice about Christians is that we all boil at different degrees and unless people are mistaking you for jesus, do NOT assume what I have said here is not speaking to some babe in Christ or Some Christian thinking such is logic to hate the sin and not the sinner. Jesus said it like it is and he didn't sugar coat a thing.

You think he would be tolerant and wouldn't speak as I have and I will say you are correct.

Like those who asked him questions during his trial, Jesus didn't speak very much. Unlike me and my bad example here, Jesus would not have said a word in this thread. Not because he would be more tolerant but,,

if you'll notice, Jesus never argued,

with fools

[edit on 6/18/2009 by UltraAgentGirl]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Of course it's okay to burn a book that you do not like, as long as you pay for it first. It is so incredible to me that when a religious conservative does something like that (the book burning AND the lawsuit), they are immediately attacked and ridiculed as being a "nut job" or trying to force their beliefs on others. Yet, when a liberal does something similar they are revered because they are "standing up" for their beliefs.

Just look at the whole Miss USA deal. This poor girl was crucified for expressing her "personal" opinion. She just simply answered a question (an extremely loaded question), honestly. She didn't force her opinion or beliefs on anyone, she was asked a simple (very subjective) question and she answered it.

So now it seems that a person can't give their honest opinion anymore. If she had said 'yes' to that question, she would be Miss USA right now. For a group of people so passionate about having their own voice heard (and accepted), it is so hypocritical to destroy someone else for their opinion, simply because it is counter to their own.

There are always (at least) two sides to every issue or debate. It is ridiculous to file a law suit and waste tax payer money on something like this. After all, the author has the right to their opinion as well. If you don't like it, change the channel. The so-called Christians that are spearheading this really need to re-evaluate their priorities, as well as, take a long look in the mirror.

I'm deeply troubled that we are heading to a place where a personal opinion or thought can ruin a lifetime of good deeds and kindness. We seem to be cultivating an environment where we would prefer people to lie to us. As long as they tell us what we want to hear, we feel all "warm and fuzzy" inside.

Perhaps that's why we let people with (perceived) power (whether it's Democrat or Republican, Military or Corporate) get away with some of the outrageous things they do. I don't know about you but "warm and fuzzy" is not how I would describe the feeling I get regarding the state of our beloved country right now.

*** End of Rant ***

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraAgentGirl

God he's sooo GAY ... but in a good way ... don't worry about his urge to kill ... i don't think he could harm a fruit fly

...he actually has a good point about the Bush years being sooo STRAIGHT

As for you not being jesus, i wouldn't give this much credence... you are certainly not alone, very few come close. Irony is... Ghandi came the closest but he won't go to heaven but guess what... Gacy and Damher will. Rules are rules... no matter how nonsensical they may be... such as homosexuality being a sin.

What you point out as shameful you equate with "chosing" to be gay, that some how being gay makes you immoral in every facet of your life. What you fail to recognize... is that all of the dark behavior you refer to is due to a society that demonizes homosexuality. ie Christianity

In the face of surmounting evidence that homosexuality has biological causes, you underhandingly attempt to discredit all credibility with giving credibility to the discredited. ie NARTH

Now even if homosexuality was solely a choice, how is this a negative? All the bad things you have rattled off that you solely attribute to gays, straights also partake in... the list of serial killers is one prime example of this demented spin you indulge in.

Where as everything i have described as typical Christian character/behavior is uniquely Christian. Now some people will have issue with the broad brush stroke, but they have to keep in mind that i don't consider christians (note the lower case 'c') who hold the interpretation of the bible loosely a problem... matter of fact they are an asset. When you exercise you're ability to be inclusive versus exclusive and to look outside of the box/bible for answers then you are part of the solution and no longer the problem.

I have no issue with you being forward and in my face... in my book that's a good thing... it is only the lack of logic and understanding in your convictions that i find disturbing. You have no idea how much your belief-system has cost the world and continues to stunt our spiritual and intellectual growth.

Welfhard's posted chart only uncovers the tip of the iceberg:

[edit on 18-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoso_
Just look at the whole Miss USA deal. This poor girl was crucified for expressing her "personal" opinion. She just simply answered a question (an extremely loaded question), honestly. She didn't force her opinion or beliefs on anyone, she was asked a simple (very subjective) question and she answered it.

So now it seems that a person can't give their honest opinion anymore. If she had said 'yes' to that question, she would be Miss USA right now. For a group of people so passionate about having their own voice heard (and accepted), it is so hypocritical to destroy someone else for their opinion, simply because it is counter to their own.

I obviously don't agree with her view, but i think she answered the question respectfully and from the heart... you can't knock her for that. I agree with your note on her crucification, totally uncalled for... but this is tv and trump knows how to sell anything and everything... he obviously picked up a few tricks from his Apprentice show. The combination of perez hilton with that specific question asked of all contestants of Miss California... is too much of a cowinkadink to not be staged.

As for the claim that she lost due to her answer... actually just the opposite is true... with all considered she is the winner. She has been given way more air time and name recognition then she ever would if she had the crown. Besides being ranked #2 is not too shabby... which i am sure is part of the plan... to milk even more public outcry. The latest fiasco in her 2010 miss california pageant contract being canceled is due to her not fulfilling her contract to pose for Playboy and appear on the reality television show "I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here!". I'm sure this won't be the last we hear from her, she has proven to be good for ratings and publication sales... she has more doors open to her then will ever open for Miss North Carolina.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by watchtheashes

Wow you have a pamphlet you want to leave with us don't you?

I don't think anyone is forcing anyone to be homosexual. I think it's more along the lines of stay out of my life, I will stay out of yours.

Would you feel different if it for some reason was a gay group that was burning bibles?

Of course you would, you would be enraged at the horrors that are being done to your text.

REPLY: The problem with what you write is that Homo's are trying to force their issues to the forefront of society, and they expect everyone to somehow believe that being 4% of the population makes what they do "normal", which it is not. Even the dictionary has been changed to reflect this, as "gay" means happy and carefree. It shouldn't mean doing the bone dance with Mr. Sphincter. Being homo is a choice; no "gay gene" has been found despite looking for one for over a decade. It is still a mental disorder.

The book in question should be in the "adult" section, where no kids can get hold of it.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by zappafan1
It is still a mental disorder.

You are at least twenty years behind...

Homosexuality is no longer included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The DSM is the most peer-reviewed, researched and referenced publication on the classification of mental disorders in the world. This is every psychologists, psychiatrists, social worker and counselors bible.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

and you can stick a naught on the end of that 20

You can argue with homophobes until you're blue in the face. but unfortunatly, they're so entrenched with hate, they'll never see the light.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
First of all, why did they read this book?

Secondly, free speech!

-1- I highly doubt any of them actually read the book, beyond maybe one person. I don't doubt that one person artificially sensationalized the content of the book. This unfortunately common event has been made fun of by a lot of people too, like when Kevin Smith picketed his own movie, Dogma:
www.youtube.com...
Of course NOBODY else there protesting the movie didn't even realize that the co-star (and writer and director) was right there next to them. This is not uncommon at all.

-2- We shall see.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

and you can stick a naught on the end of that 20

You can argue with homophobes until you're blue in the face. but unfortunatly, they're so entrenched with hate, they'll never see the light.

You might be right. All i can hope for is that i managed to get at least one seed thrown in to each bubble-shelter hatch before they closed. The hate you speak of is solely rooted in ignorance, as it often is. What many may see as purely an argument, i see as an infowar, a challenge in deprogramming and educating the ill informed, from my perspective this is a community service that is in step with ATS's motto "Denego Ignarus". Which all great thinkers/philosophers would agree is our only true route to salvation.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I don't understand the reason for censoring your posts T&C. If it's any consolation i have also been branded this honor from time to time. Easier said then done of course, but try not to take it personally ... we have a few hypersensitive mods who are trigger happy.

With that said, correct me if i'm wrong in my condensed version of those two posts. You presented some intriguing thoughts that i'd like to respond to. I'm just glad i had a chance to read them before they were erased. Sorry that this happened... i wish i had a copy... some wild crazy stuff that brought a smile to my face.

I'll do my best to respond to the premise of your remarks while at the same time reveal your intentions as i can best decipher.

You said that i was "BUSTED"... and provided a link to the APA FAQ on homosexuality. btw... the first link you have provided, i may add, that was from a reliable/credible source

You quoted the following to point out that no "gay gene" has been found:

What causes a person to have a particular sexual orientation?

There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

What i want to draw your attention to is the last line of that answer.

...most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.
(note the underlined word)

Coincidently the next two Q&As...What role do prejudice and discrimination play in the lives of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people? & What is the psychological impact of prejudice and discrimination? ... you should read thoroughly ... may give you some insight on why you got slapped with those T&Cs... only a hunch/guess in playing devil's advocate.

Now the next Q&A that follows is the most relevant fact to acknowledge:

Is homosexuality a mental disorder?

No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology. Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding. Therefore, these mainstream organizations long ago abandoned classifications of homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Now before you throwing this out the window as trash, keep in mind that you would be throwing a fact based on decades worth of world peer-reviewed quantitative and qualitative research out the window.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
As I mentioned before....

This preoccupation with what others do or how others live is the most anti-Christian behavior I have ever seen...

Jesus didn't care about what others did... made a point to tell people not to be pious in public, and basically told us to love our neighbor... regardless of how they believed, lived, etc. And if that neighbor were to ask us for anything, to give it to them. And if that neighbor were to strike us, to turn the other cheek so that they may strike that one as well.

All of this talk about how homosexuals are somehow bad doesn't even fit in with the way Jesus taught....

As it says in the Talmud....

"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary."

[edit on 18-6-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I also recall you bringing the National Association for Research and Therapy for Homosexuality NARTH up once again, with an attempt to back up the idea that homosexuality is solely a choice.

The next Q&A shines an accurate light on why organization such as NARTH are counter-productive and even destructive in their application of this belief:

What about therapy intended to change sexual orientation from gay to straight?

All major national mental health organizations have officially expressed concerns about therapies promoted to modify sexual orientation. To date, there has been no scientifically adequate research to show that therapy aimed at changing sexual orientation (sometimes called reparative or conversion therapy) is safe or effective. Furthermore, it seems likely that the promotion of change therapies reinforces stereotypes and contributes to a negative climate for lesbian, gay, and bisexual persons. This appears to be especially likely for lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals who grow up in more conservative religious settings.

Helpful responses of a therapist treating an individual who is troubled about her or his samesex attractions include helping that person actively cope with social prejudices against homosexuality, successfully resolve issues associated with and resulting from internal conflicts, and actively lead a happy and satisfying life. Mental health professional organizations call on their members to respect a person’s (client’s) right to selfdetermination; be sensitive to the client’s race, culture, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic status, language, and disability status when working with that client; and eliminate biases based on these factors.

A noteworthy little footnote: When the APA took homosexuality out of the DSM, there were a hand full of mental health practitioners who left to form NARTH.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Now for the best way to address your borderline-psychotic rant on how there is a gay conspiracy to legalize access to our children so they may molest them... i have to refer you to a comprehensive review of the research on pedophiles in relationship to homosexuality... Facts About Homosexuality and Child Molestation that states in summary:

The empirical research does not show that gay or bisexual men are any more likely than heterosexual men to molest children. This is not to argue that homosexual and bisexual men never molest children. But there is no scientific basis for asserting that they are more likely than heterosexual men to do so.

Also in Dr. Helek's review he covers a common source of reference that is used to perpetuate the myth that all gays are pedophiles.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

Because when the lawsuit is laughed out of court, they will take it to WND and other reactionary sites, and proclaim it a conspiracy by the "gay agenda" to oppress Christians and deny Christians rights. It will be spun like cotton candy, and next thing you know it'll show up on ATS as something about Reptilian Catholics oppressing good little nondenominationals or something through the gay courts.

Welcome to the world of woo-woo politics, please keep all removable limbs away from the flapping jaws.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Outstanding research All Seeing. I have little patience for the Christian rant and visit here to simply witness the breathtaking stupidity.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Outstanding research All Seeing.

I agree and will take it further by saying you also presented your research in a civil and respectful manner unlike a certain zealot.

Great work, great thread! Stars for you.

It too bad though all your presented info is blown off by the christian crowd based on their personal opinions and religious dogma. Fact and truth be damned, the bible says different.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join