It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians sue for right to burn gay teen novel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Christians sue for right to burn gay teen novel

www.examiner.com

A group of Wisconsin Christians filed a lawsuit seeking the right to burn a gay teen novel. The group claimed the novel is "explicitly vulgar, and anti-Christian". The novel in question is Francesca Lia Block's Baby Be-Bop, a young adult novel in which a boy, struggling with his homosexuality, is beaten up by a homophobic gang.
The complaint has been lodged by a group identified as the Christian Civil Liberties Union. Their suit claims that "the plaintiffs, all of whom are elderly, claim their mental and emotional well-being was damaged by this book at the library."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
newspirates.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
christian you-tube censors obama deception

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Obviously this lawsuit is a crap-shoot and is likely to go no where... simply an attempt to terrorize/bully writers of this genre niche and push their narrow-minded values. As a publicity stunt i can only see this backfiring, sales of this book are likely to increase as a result and i fail to see how parading one's ignorance and hypersensitivity in the form of homophobia and bigotry in front of the rational secular world is going to benefit your childish cry baby cause.

These are the same zealots that have plagued us for centuries and they are the same zealots who want the government to censor the internet and who have been actively pestering our mods to censor everyone here. Don't forget what they did to the Dixie Chicks and anyone else who dared to speak out against the war... and these are the same closeted zealots here who advocate to stick our heads in the sand or up our own dairyaires.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
First of all, why did they read this book?

Secondly, free speech!

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
First of all, why did they read this book?
Secondly, free speech!

Thirdly .. why do they need permission to burn a book?

They can go to the store .. buy a copy .. and burn it.

Or is the library copy they want to burn? In that case, they take the book out with their library card .. burn it .. then tell the library they cant' return the book but instead pay the fee that is imposed when people cant' return books.

So what's the big deal with them 'getting permission'???

Sounds like they want attention.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Some things never change. Here we are in the 21st century and we are still plagued by book burning religious zealots. The whole episode is quite repugnant. Clearly the lawsuit is frivolous and will go no where. However, it does serve to hi light the hate and ignorance the Christian community harbors. The blatant homophobia and bigotry is nothing new for Christians. Indeed, it has been their modus operandi for centuries.

It is funny how they're suing, sort of makes you wonder what their real motives are. But what I don't get is, how are they not allowed to burn the novel? It doesn't even make sense, a person can buy any book and burn it. They also aren't suing for not being able to burn it, they're suing for it being in a public library......and not being allowed to burn it? lol, quite odd.

They're really grasping at straws with that lawsuit.

But who knows what's going on, this publicity will only serve to help sell more copies...

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
looks to me like some Christian Conservatives just want to return to a simpler time. A time where free speech, free thought, and free expression are allowed, only if it comes within their narrow view of what the above concepts mean.

[edit on 6/13/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah? What kind of people are alive now? They will just shut the door in a preaching brother's face, and give no reply. That is what the end of time is for. To bring humanity as a whole back to repentance. If it takes meteors, Anti-Christ Maitreya, false alien landing, UFOs, disaster upon disaster and rumor upon rumor, signs in heaven, Nibiru, Nephilim, war, atomic holocaust, then so be it. The Bible has the only God that makes any sense. He works through nations and worldwide. He knows His creation. If the Bible said go out and have much sex you wouldn't ignore it would you? God knows people love lust, and desires which profit nothing but physical pleasure. I'd rather live forever and explore the Universe with Jesus Christ. If you would open your eyes and take a look, everything around you is preparing you for something BIG.

Man should be with woman as is the law of nature, but above all God. I can say that. Denying homosexuality is free speech too.

EDIT: Everyone these days including Christian followers think the Bible is more like a book of wisdom than literal truth. So, God would have this as the last generation. This generation would rather watch TV than explore God's cursed but still beautiful Earth. That is why you will get a TV messiah with Satanic powers. The Tribulation we get we deserve.

[edit on 6/13/2009 by watchtheashes]

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by watchtheashes

Wow you have a pamphlet you want to leave with us don't you?

I don't think anyone is forcing anyone to be homosexual. I think it's more along the lines of stay out of my life, I will stay out of yours.

Would you feel different if it for some reason was a gay group that was burning bibles?

Of course you would, you would be enraged at the horrors that are being done to your text.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'm not advocating burning books like Focus on the Family did to Harry Potter. Those are extremist actions that will bring about the New World Order faster. I'm simply giving you a warning. That's my job.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You need re-educated on Sodom & Gomorra

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I don't think God cares about sex. I don't even think he cares about killing people, but to each their own. Beastial desires, food, sex, family, ect. have nothing to do with spirituality but exist for survival. Doesn't matter what gender you're having sex with, its just filling a desire.

I don't apprieciate the idea that there is one, true, correct, Christianity. There is no such thing. The extent to which you love God and others is the measure of a good person, and that mumbojumbo you just spat out has nothing to do with that. Anyone can love God and others, its actually fairly easy if you have a desire for it.

There are no laws of nature, written or otherwise, saying man has to have sex with a women. What it comes down to, is pleasure, its what drives everything in a person. I laugh since all it takes for people to change their shallow beliefs are when their beliefs get in the way of what they find pleasurable. Reincarnated as a gay person, you'll change your mind. Some thing with a racist, and every other group.

A person only has themselves to correct, which is why I find it strange that people can go into a furor about everyone else besides themselves. All the flaws a person sees in their friend, exist within themselves...this comes from a different spiritual teaching but the same idea is found in the NT.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

How exactly did you acquire the job off warning others?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I don't appreciate the idea that there is one, true, correct, Christianity

That is why Satan will be allowed to send a savior that unites every religion through the United Nations.

By the way, Sodom and Gomorrah were wicked cities regardless of homosexuality, though homosexuality was probably one of those reasons. I'm referring to all nations in my first post. I'm not biased, I just know who the God who claims He is the only God is. In fact I know Him personally. That's a story for a few years down the road. You'll know exactly what I mean when that time comes and you're going to hate me for it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

God has appointed me to warn people of the coming trying times. Is it so far fetched that I would use the internet?

I actually have the book beside me to make sure I'm not saying anything too rash.

And no I'm not some crazy who believes in Reptiles from Alpha Draconis. I just want to spread a message before the message has to turn to destruction.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

It's kind of ironic that so called Christians are suing for the right to be bigoted, hateful and prejudiced... then again... maybe it's not ironic at all.. more par for the course! It's articles like this that make me feel so happy to be agnostic.

IRM

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The Bible= Two Thousand years of Fear Mongery and Mind Control for Sheep!

The end of the world's been coming for a long time now, I wish he'd just get on with it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Then I will leave you with Yeshua's words.

Luke 16:17 "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail."

Matthew: 10:22 "And you shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endures to the end shall be saved."

Sounds about right. Say the 21st century and every other persecution of Jews/Christianity?

Israel. There is probably a really interesting reason besides the man Israel dying, that he named it Israel. Look at the word closely. I S R A E L IS REAL.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Christianity and Judaism have a rich history of persecuting those they do not like. I hardly see them as the persecuted.

When you really think about this hatred that some have of the gay population....it is the feminine traits in men that are hated.

Throughout history you can see the hatred for women...look at Islamic ritual...how are women treated. Women have taken the brunt of your Male Gods decision to make women second class citizens...property throughout the Hebrew scriptures and even in many of today's societies.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

Well it wasn't because they were Gay!..

Classical Jewish texts concur that God did *not* destroy Sodom and Gemorrah because their inhabitants were homosexual. Not at all. Rather, the cities were destroyed because the inhabitents were nasty, depraved, and uncompromisingly greedy. Classical Jewish writings affirm that the primary crimes of the Sodomites were, among others, terrible and repeated economic crimes, both against each other and to outsiders. Saying "God killed them because they were gay" is, to say the least, not the Jewish teaching on the subject.

www.iwgonline.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What a bunch of attention-seeking zealots.

As stated earlier, they should buy a copy of the book and just burn it if that's what they want to do. Get all Fahrenheit 451 on it, buy 100 copies and burn them all. Just keep your God to yourself and mind your own damn business.

It's pretty sad frankly, these religious nuts who still live in the 1950s and try to push their antiquated beliefs on the rest of us. If there is a God, he's likely pointing and laughing while they make absolute fools of themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join