It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of duck is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
i234.photobucket.com...

I've never seen one exactly like it, and can't find it online anywhere. It reminds me of a wood duck, but still very different.

Me and a friend see it at this pond we've been fishing at a little bit lately, and he's really curious. I say "he" because he seems to bully the other ducks/ducklings in the pond.

He'll paddle up to within 30 feet of us while we're standing around casting, and occasionally go into little bouts of swimming up to where our casts land and swimming like a penguin up to the bank within a few feet of us, swimming around there for a bit, and going back out another ten feet or so before resurfacing.

I'm pretty sure he's just looking for an easy meal, but I've never encountered a duck that acted or looked like this one.

Thanks.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

From the photo I'd say it's a Slavonian Grebe. Where are you located?

I might get a clue from your name "alaskan" but didn't want to assume anything. You could be an Alaskan resident in Timbuktu for all I know.

Here are some good images that probably nail it.

stevenround-birdphotography.com...

Never seen one myself but can identify most birds common to the UK and few rarer visitors....keen nature photographer and walker.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Britguy]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Oh damn, Heihachi Mishima's now a duck!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

From the photo I'd say it's a Slavonian Grebe. Where are you located?

Here are some good images that probably nail it.

stevenround-birdphotography.com...

I'm in fairbanks, alaska, but we see it at a pond in north pole, about 14 miles south.

Thanks very much for the link, it's exactly what I was looking for.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Definately a type of grebe, maybe the "great Crested Grebe". Distributed extremely broadly. Found references from Britian to Slovakia & even in Australia

www.rspb.org.uk...
www.arkive.org...
blx1.bto.org...

Please correct if wrong.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It's definitely the Slavonian Grebe, thanks though.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
That is a very...very scary duck. I opened the link and had to close it out immediately haha.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Looks like its eyes are on fire from the OP's picture link
i wish we had cool ducks like that down here in Florida
but we got gators

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I saw a weird looking cat in my driveway, should I take a picture and bring it to ATS? I am wondering because he is a cold-blooded killer that tears the heads off of his prey.

The duck in the OPs linked image is some duck I have seen before, it does not look like a crossbreed. My plucky 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
You're in Alaska? It's a Horned Grebe. Gnarly-looking suckers.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
all i know about this duck is that it lives in belgium too , we have some ponds near our house and in one of them there are like 3 of these ducks

top topics

join