It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet access 'is a fundamental human right'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Internet access 'is a fundamental human right'

www.ndtv.com

The Internet has become such a part of today's life that it is now considered a necessity rather than a luxury. And, now a French court has ruled that access to the World Wide Web is a fundamental human right.

"Under the Declaration of 1789 (founding principles of the Republic set down after the French Revolution), every man is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I have always admired the French with there radical reforms when other country's are battling problems such as food rationing. How obvious one can see the difference's between a developed and a developing country.

All that remains is for the internet to become a free service for all to use and expand. Although there are methods of using free internet but are sometimes seen as illegal, but that does not mean that perhaps one day the internet will be as free as the oxygen you breathe.

www.ndtv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit:are

[edit on 13-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Interesting. After only 20 years of existence!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
ELECTRICITY IS NOT A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT! Nor is the internet which can only work IF you have electricity to power it...

Gosh this is insane.....Personally I do not see this as news...its more of a dark joke. I find it funny that France thinks that courts can take away someones "right" to internet access.... Last time I checked my local library did not ask me for ID..... Heck the little old library ladies could care less if I even sign my real name on the sign in / sign out sheet.

I see this ridiculous Fundamental Human Right nothing more than excuse to attempt to control our access to get online.....

[edit on 13-6-2009 by titorite]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Maybe I am just ignorant. Maybe I am just stupid. But the internet is a basic human right? I laugh. Oh, how far will we all go for "basic human rights"?

It just seems all wrong to me. Yeah, if there is an internet, then people who can access it, shouldn't be fobidden.

What is it next? I have a basic human right to own a car? Well, yeah. Maybe, if I can afford it.

It's the right to life oops sorry aborted babies, liberty, sorry about that those that have opinions that disagree with your government, and the pursuit of happiness. Ooops. Somehow this seems so wrong now here.

I give up. As James Trafricant used to say,Beam me up, Scottie!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
If you look at the internet as being a computer and electricity it will NEVER look like a human right.

if you view the Internet as being the combined knowledge of all humanity then it might start to look different to you.

I think the U.S. might not consider it a "fundamental human right" but it is very HIGHLY accessible.

I do not want to make the risk of assuming ALL public libraries have a computer with internet access unfiltered available for free but I want to say the number might be pretty high? I will look into it.

IMO The Internet is the GREATEST achievement in our Species ENTIRE HISTORY!

Combined collective human knowledge of everything

Pretty BA when you think about it like that!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Maybe when we get to a point that everyone is able to have the food they need to survive..

..then we can talk about the Internet as a 'basic human right'.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Electricity is for free, you only need to look further into your options, the power grid you or 90% of the world is connected to does not represent the 10% who laugh at the rest of the 90%. This also applies to the Internet, its very easy to access free internet in any country, you only need to know what your options are.

Always keep in mind, technology has so many entrance and exit points that its mind numbing. You do need to connect the dots and your answer will be obvious.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

I agree that the internet has a wealth of knowledge. Great for Educational purposes, I don't see why all library"s should have free acess in the near future.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The article's title is very misleading.
What the Conseil Constitutionnel (equivalent of the US Supreme Court) ruled is that the fundamental presumption of innocence was not respected by the HADOPI law.
The HADOPI law is also censored because it disregards the Article 11 of the 1789 French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen.
This article is similar to the Article 19 of the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights :

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

The HADOPI law plans to suspend one's internet access by administrative decision for alleged illegal downloading with no legal judgement, no court trial. If the law is promulgated, by a simple administrative request to one's internet provider, the internet connection can be shut on allegations.
It is an important legal battle, please do not mock it and support the French. That the internet is not a fundamental right is the exact argument the French government is using to laugh at the Conseil Constitutionnel's decision. It's not about the internet per se, it's about freedom of opinion and communication. The law is heavily criticized because of the obvious misuse that could be made out of it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

If i am not mistaken, isn't there an ongoing trial about this. But it does mention that a court order could cease your ability to be connected to internet. As you so well pointed out, its a two sided knife that obviously needs to be explained.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The French do it again!

Oh that crazy backwards nation, oh them!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. You people are skeptical and mocking a nation that declared access to the bank of the entire knowledge of humanity being a fundamental human right? Yeah it's all well and good for you to be laughing at this or going on some bull# survivalist rant, but where are you doing it right now?

I just wrote up like 50 scenarios as to why the internet is extremely important but then I realized if I actually have to go into that, then this argument is already lost on you.

France

[edit on 13-6-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

Perhaps you have miss understood me, i was not referring to that nor was i mocking the nation.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

No trial I can think of. From time to time, hackers or warez groups are arrested. Is it the recent arrest of the admins of the Snowtigers website you are thinking about ?
The Conseil Constitutionnel's decision is that only an adjudication can possibly cease an internet connection access. So it might happen in the future. There are so many cases only the serious ones would go to court and hopefully judged in full equity as expected and granted.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

That wasn't directed at you mate
Just at people who get the irony of what they were saying in this thread or people who don't get just how important the net is.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

EU parliament members rejected such a law only a few weeks ago. There is a struggle around internet freedom not only in France but in all the EU. Governments are pushing strong to acquire the legitimacy to restrict internet access bypassing courts and fair trials.

Have a good laugh. Next, they might come after you

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manouche
reply to post by tristar

No trial I can think of. From time to time, hackers or warez groups are arrested. Is it the recent arrest of the admins of the Snowtigers website you are thinking about ?

Yes,

As for what is happening in Europe, it is only the beginning of what is going on across major internet users across the world. A similar process is going on as we speak to the nation with the largest population of internet users and i am referring to China. As i had opened posts but were not noticed since people prefer other news posts which seem to be more media exposed.

Eventually all nations will conform to what is happening within Europe.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

I will bite, since.. maaaaybe you were referring to me..

I don't believe I was mocking the Nation of France either.. I was just amused by the fact that they want to declare the internet as a basic human right when we haven't even figured out how to feed each other.

You take a starving child from anywhere in the world and ask them if they want a bowl of cereal or access to the internet.. they choose the food everyday.

What we need to 'survive' is basic human rights.. nothing more IMO.

If your comment wasn't directed at me, then take my response as one in general.

Also,

if you want to come back at someone, maybe you should clarify who it is first.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think the French are preparing to do legal battle with the Chinese over Internet access.

The Chinese have recently demanded that computers and software made for the Chinese market be crippled to allow government control of Internet access.

If you look at it in that context, it makes perfect sense and is perfectly right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join