It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmate's behind-bars bar mitzvah rattles chain of N.Y. officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Inmate's behind-bars bar mitzvah rattles chain of N.Y. officials

www.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNN) -- New York officials want to know how a jail inmate threw a lavish bar mitzvah for his son inside a detention facility, complete with live music and catered kosher food.

The gala, attended by about 60 people, took place in the visiting room of the Manhattan Detention Complex, a facility known locally as "The Tombs," according to a spokeswoman for New York City's Department of Investigation. Officials have launched a probe of how Tuvia Stern pulled off the event without raising any red flags, she said.

Five correction employees, including a rabbi, an assistant commissio
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I would just like to start out by saying even I am a little ashamed to be posting this one…but come on for pity’s sake.

This is one of the most overcrowded, busiest if not the busiest jail in the entire nation and this guy has managed to somehow throw a lavish religious celebration for family and friends in the visiting room replete with banned items.

Visiting rooms in jails are about the most closely monitored place in the entire facility for the expressed purposes of someone from the outside slipping contraband to an inmate! Using contraband with and around the inmate for hours and having 60 visitors at one time versus 2 and all at once?

Wow!

Yes, it’s true; Jews truly are treated just like everyone else when it comes to the justice system.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Or...as New York City's Mayor so eloquently said...

Stern, 47, is serving at least 2 1/2 years for a first-degree grand larceny conviction, according to corrections officials.

Manhattan prosecutors refused comment.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, speaking on a morning radio show Friday, would not divulge details about the investigation, but quipped, "As they say, oy vey."

Unbelievable!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Wow this story gets better!

This from the New York Post...

New York Post

Rabbi Leib Glanz -- the city jail chaplain suspended Wednesday for organizing a 60-guest bar mitzvah in the jail for an inmate's son -- also ensured that those "chosen few" inmates awaited trial there instead of at the more dangerous Rikers Island, according to a bombshell correction officers' memo, a copy of which was provided to The Post.

"The outlandish and outrageous things that the rabbi is allowed to do in the facility have gotten beyond words and belief," the memo says. "When it comes to Rabbi Glanz, it would [seem] that the Jewish inmates are not in jail but in a private club reserved just for them."

Wait now it gets better still!

""The inmates are untouchable," the memo added. "When it comes to the Jewish inmates, all rules are put aside."

The memo also claims that Glanz:

* Twice a week unloaded an SUV filled with food for the Jewish inmates, including "sodas, salmon, roast chicken, roast beef, mash potatoes, vegetables, cakes, condiments." The scene was reminiscent of Martin Scorsese's "Goodfellas," where imprisoned mobsters have filet mignon and lobster brought into their cells.

The food was taken to Glanz's office, where the inmates "proceeded to conduct their services by themselves" before chowing down.

When Tombs officers complained, they were told the normal jail food was "not kosher and the rabbi has 'juice' " with Correction Department brass.

* Hosted an annual summer picnic for jail officers, administrators "and all the top brass, and only the Jewish inmates are allowed to cook and serve the food, and then they are allowed to sit at the table and eat like invited guests." When the picnic is over, "other inmate workers . . . come and clean up the place, which usually consist of the black or Hispanic inmates."

* Doled out Christmas presents to correction officers and other jail employees, a practice cited by supervisors in the rabbi's defense whenever staffers "complained about anything the rabbi is doing."

Yes Sir no special treatment for Jews in the justice system...

Stay tuned for more on this story...

I have another post on the renowned entertainer hired to perform live at the party!

[edit on 13/6/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Oy, vey!! lol. It's truly disgusting, isn't it? A guy in prison, there to be punished for a crime is allowed a catered party? I remember my time in prison and it was not a place for a party, except for a party on my butt, lol, if I allowed it. Prison should be a place for serious penalty. It should not be a place where you might not care to come back to again. It's punishment folks! And it should remain that way. It's not a place that should be, oh, maybe rehabilitation, it's a place to be punished for crimes against societcy and other humans. It should be misierable and make one not want to return. it worked for me and I am sure it will work for most everyone else. If not for others, then they need to stay there.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Oy, vey!! lol. It's truly disgusting, isn't it? A guy in prison, there to be punished for a crime is allowed a catered party? I remember my time in prison and it was not a place for a party, except for a party on my butt, lol, if I allowed it. Prison should be a place for serious penalty. It should not be a place where you might not care to come back to again. It's punishment folks! And it should remain that way. It's not a place that should be, oh, maybe rehabilitation, it's a place to be punished for crimes against societcy and other humans. It should be misierable and make one not want to return. it worked for me and I am sure it will work for most everyone else. If not for others, then they need to stay there.

It went well beyond a party. The Rabbi in question who set the whole thing up had set up a virtual country club for Orthodox Jews whom he had all of the Orthodox Jews in the New York City Jail System transferred to a segregated section of the Tombs just for them, where normal prison rules did not apply to them.

You should read the New York Post snippings I posted or visit the full story to find out just how corrupt the system had been made to benefit Orthodox Jewish inmates.

Now to be fair, I did my 10 months in a Federal Prison Camp working at a genuine Golf Course Country Club, and the Navy personnel and civilians that ran the Country Club did give me a nice going away party.

Sure there might have been some Dominos Pizza delivered at the big screen Super Bowl parties back at the Prison Camp itself.

Maybe the occassional steak dinner, prostitute or stripper too.

Drinking was always in moderation though...

It was hard too deciding most nights whether to practice with the band, play pool, bocci ball, tennis, raquet ball, horseshoes, badmitten, volley ball, softball, read in the library, work in the wood shop on some craft, jog around the jogging track, spend sometime in the computer room, or just sit out in the perfectly landscaped courtyard where all the trees, flowers, bushes, shrubs and plants had placards in english and latin naming them, underneath Cinzano umbrellas at stone benched tables and which Stouffers TV Dinner to get out of the vending machines and what Haggen Daaz Icecream Bar or Cup would go best with the Espresso...

You have to expect a hard time in Prison though...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Not his religion but his WEALTH that allowed this setup to become realistic.

I am sure some palms got greased for something as big as this.

If he was poor do you still think it would have happened?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
Not his religion but his WEALTH that allowed this setup to become realistic.

I am sure some palms got greased for something as big as this.

If he was poor do you still think it would have happened?

That's going to be very hard to argue since the articles I posted here in the thread display that every as in EVERY Orthodox Jew in the New York City Jail system was being housed, fed, and governed by special rules just for them.

This goes beyond just what money can buy.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
As promised today's installment of the entertainment at the party!

He's the Jewish Johnny Cash.

But instead of singing for a raucous crowd of inmates at Folsom Prison, as Cash famously did in 1968, Orthodox Jewish singer Yaakov Shwekey was the headline act for a group of about 60 non-inmates invited into a Manhattan jail to celebrate the bar mitzvah of a prisoner's son last December.

The bar mitzvah boy -- whose dad is former fugitive fraudster Tuvia Stern -- "was happy" at the Dec. 30 event in the Tombs, Shwekey told The Post.

"[But] you could tell it was rough on the family with the father being in jail."

Which if course leads to the loaded question if he is the Jewish Johnny Cash who is the Jewish Mrs. Johnny Cash?

new topics

top topics

join