It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

I'm sorry, but I don't know a single person who's account of their life during high school matches up with what you're saying. I, too started school in the 80's and graduated in '01 so I'm talking about the same time period you are.

The kids who were poor or perceived to not have "nice stuff" got treated like dirt. The kids who were different were outcasts. If you weren't into the same things as the popular kids, you weren't a popular kid. Period. If you don't think that's true, then I don't think you've ever been in those shoes before and simply don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

That's definitely smart, sometimes parents don't notice things like that because of conveniences that have come about after they'd already had plenty of experience with doing things the hard way. If you notice your kid can't do something the hard way, it can be a wake-up call; cool that you were proactive and think ahead to prevent things like that.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Well done. If only more parents would take responsibility for the life they bring into the world and it's development then maybe the world would be a lot better. Maybe we would have more scientists, engineers and other people who contribute to the world at large in a bigger way.

Sadly most parents are content with sitting their offspring down in front of the TV, or as i call it, the modern babysitter.

Ok so your kids may get some flack in school for not knowing whats happening on Britains Top Loser or whatever those shows are called but in the long run they'll do better in life.

So again, really great work.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
while I don't necessarily disagree with what you were doing, I think it is pretty drastic. I also feel its somewhat irresponsible to completely discount the fact that modern media can be a good thing.

I would back up some of the other posters here in that it may be beneficial to your children to provide it in moderation and supervision rather than complete withdrawal. Not every child who has access to TV and the internet becomes a mindless drone. Many kids who do not have these things become mindless drones! I grew up with video games and television in my bedroom, and internet in my household. I currently watch probably about 1 hour of television a day, and literally about 2 hours of video games a week. I also know people who had similar resources as a child and watch the most bland "reality television" religiously

I think you should judge it on your own children's experience. If you see a problem in their having television, then begin to monitor and limit what they are watching. Ultimately it is on you as the parent. But, you seem to be dismissing television to easily. Whether you decide to acknowledge it or not, there ARE good, educational programs available, many even targeted towards younger children like you own.

Now I'm all for children reading books, so for that I commend you! There arent nearly enough kids that read anymore. But, if you have an issue with your children talking about television with their friends, how is that really any
different than talking about a book? If you disagree with what the content of the program is, that is fine. Otherwise, what do you expect a kid to talk about??

Personally I would balance them all out, emphasizing the importance of each, and making sure the television they are privileged to view is of good quality, whether it be interactive, inspiring imagination, or just educational or relevant to their interests. But again, in moderation.

Again, I support your pushing books and drawing and things of that nature on your children, but the internet and television can also provide resources of an informative and leisurely nature that can benefit them as well. Why not embrace it all??

My 2 cents (or more
)

[edit on 13-6-2009 by kyle6677]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I see a lot of replies here that state that I have taken the easy route.
I beg to differ.
It is quite easy to sit your child in front of the TV and let it entertain them.
Far different to have to be the one to create activities for them to do when they run out of ideas.
After reading the responses to this thread,I asked my children how they felt and if they missed having movies and videogames,(as for tv, we had 2 channels anyway), and the answer from all of them was a unanimous "NO".
They have all found better ways and more fun ways to spend their time.
You can all argue and debate that all you like.
Thanks to those who support my decision in this thread and via u2u.
To the others, you have your right to disagree, but you don't know me or my kids..and your judgment is narrow.
Now if you all will excuse me, I have given this thread more attention than it deserves...and it's story time.
good night.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Like I said, their is a lot of cultural variance everywhere, I'm just describing my experiences and what I've seen in younger generations.

It sounds like you had a really crap experience, but it's nothing like mine. I was king of my prom, my sister is a huge bookworm nerd going to law school, she was a cheerleader and prom queen. I went to plenty of parties, and it wasn't like the jocks were beating down the nerds while the big kids and misfits huddled in the corners. That is the stuff of movies. Nerds talked to jocks about sports, computers, girls, why would they be fighting? That kind of stuff is seriously the hollywood fluff, not people getting along.

I really think this goes back to the golden rule, and what I was saying about improving your experience in society as a group. The girls in my school would have hooked up the "poor" girls if for no other reason than so that the school would be overall more attractive and appealing. Hyper-competition makes kids way too hard on themselves, but it's the pressure of conformity that makes them attack each other. Media and information in general represent the reality of diversity, so conformity continues to degrade.

It's kind of weird and sad to me that people have the reaction that I'm talking about something so weird and out there;In a Utopia nobody would be poor, or nobody would care about stuff like clothes and makeup and hair gel, and there wouldn't be any mentally or physically impaired kids, and none of them would want to watch crap tv all day, because all tv would be awesome.

I'm just talking about people getting along and being decent. I didn't grow up in a "conform or die!!!" society, if that's what people are experiencing it's sad. I don't think it represents the younger generations either. Diversity is all they know.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by maus80]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bronwyn82

Your rediculous, I let people make up their own minds and don't think that any form of right or left wing thinking is correct in the extreme. Funny how those types always "have" to be right, Again enjoy "your" world.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I think we can safely say this thread has EVOLVED!

Not Derailed but EVOLVED into a discussion about the impact of technology in the form of Audio/Visual input devices on our culture and society.

GAOTU789 I AGREE with you that Television is horrible. It is only horrible in what is on T.V. I have Cable and we have like 300+ stations. There is 90% GARBAGE on! But there ARE good channels. Do not throw the baby out with the bath water. The Science channel is amazing. Animal planet. NOVA. Some History Channel Programing. Even the military channel has some good world history on it.

But when you compare T.V. to the Internet and computers you are comparing Horse Driven Buggy to Mach Speed Air travel.

The Internet is a television that you get to CHOOSE what you watch, or read WHENEVER YOU WANT! Some of it has advertisements, like this website even does. Some of it has none. Some internet sites cost money to view some are FREE like this site is

The Internet is AMAZING! It is the combined knowledge of the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not keep this from your children. Sit WITH them and explore the archive of humanity together! Oh the places you will go!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bronwyn82
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the path that A.D. has chosen to raise her children.

This quote alone proves my point, could you get anymore "sure" of yourself. Sounds like your trying to convince someone, sounds more to me like your trying to convince yourself.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yes, I do not doubt you recieved that answer. Now give them the television and games consoles back, let them go back to their old lifestyles for the same amount of time as they have been without these products....and then ask them if they are glad to have them back. I suspect you will receive a yes.

All hypothetically of course... and theres the chacne I'm wrong too.

If someone is used to not having something, they probably wont miss it a great deal. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be benificial to them. We are talking about children, their minds are easily changed...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by bronwyn82

Your rediculous, I let people make up their own minds and don't think that any form of right or left wing thinking is correct in the extreme. Funny how those types always "have" to be right, Again enjoy "your" world.

Well, you just think your perfect, don't you? Learn how to spell.

You're ridiculous***

[edit on 13-6-2009 by SSanguine]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

I agree completely about the internet. I try to stress to all the kids in my family that the internet is first and foremost a research tool. Knowing is half the battle, knowledge is power, and all that other stuff they told us in the 80's :p

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SSanguine

Enjoy "his" band wagon.

I'm sure there's half a seat to be shared.

And do you have a doctrine in English? If you don't I doubt your qualified for lessons. Rediculous

[edit on 13-6-2009 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

Enjoy "his" band wagon.

I'm sure there's half a seat to be shared.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by NoJoker13]

Aww, did somebody throw you under the bus? Too bad, so sad. Most of what you've written doesn't even touch on what bronwyn82 is trying to get across. Here's a helpful hint - If you're into posting one-liners they need to be spelled correctly, somewhat witty, and above all else, make sense. This is how you will achieve the maximum effect that you have definitely fallen short of.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by SSanguine]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
While I think you are awesome for taking the tv away I also think it's lame. I've ran into home schooled kids and they are totally outta touch with social reality.

I say allow a few hours in your home each day where the tv and other electronics are not allowed to be used. We are living in the world no matter how much you want to escape it.

I grew up with tv, computers video games, and cable all my life, but thanks to my parents as a young child I was aware of the NWO, depopulation, aliens living here on earth, alternate realities, meditation, esp, etc.

You have to know what your enemy is up to. So teaching children how to watch tv and listen to radio with a critical eye and ear will help them to weed out the subliminal bs and become stronger warriors to fight for our freedom.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Teeky]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Best thing you could have done. I think you deserve at least a hundred stars.

I'm telling you, there is more to that innocent looking telly than meets the eye.

It's my belief that it is being used by the powers that be to "condition" the minds of as well as indoctrinate and dumb down the general population.

Start researching frequency waves, TV and mind control. The rabbit hole goes really deep on the TV Conspiracy.

My husband bought a hugh flat screen and it's like a drug, they sit there night after night with the most stupid programs on, transfixed like in a trance.

Kudos to you.

Possibly your kids may grow up being able to think for themselves instead of being a Barb or Ken Zombie Pod Person.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Ya and heres a hint to you when posting replies to someone try to stay on the subject matter at hand and also mind your own business. I'm just wondering if he's out taking you for a walk and your on one of those little kid leashes... Geez.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Enjoy "his" band wagon.

Sorry, but I'm a woman.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

GAOTU789 I AGREE with you that Television is horrible. It is only horrible in what is on T.V. I have Cable and we have like 300+ stations. There is 90% GARBAGE on! But there ARE good channels. Do not throw the baby out with the bath water. The Science channel is amazing. Animal planet. NOVA. Some History Channel Programing. Even the military channel has some good world history on it.

I agree that there are some decent things on tv. Problem is, I am not willing to shell out the money for that access to the, at best, 5% of quality.

Of the shows /channels you mentioned, all are available on line and do present quality material. We have watched many space and science based docs from some of those channels on line together and when done, we discuss what we saw. That's another thing I think is sorely lacking with kids and parents today, communication. During a fund raiser for her school this year, they had to sell magazine subscriptions. Ya know what mags she asked me to order? Scientific America, Astronomy and National Geographic.

The Internet is AMAZING! It is the combined knowledge of the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not keep this from your children. Sit WITH them and explore the archive of humanity together! Oh the places you will go!

Trust me, I will never deny her the most important tool of the information age. I will, however, monitor what she does on it until she is old enough to discern some of the dangers that it can also present. Here is a list of a couple of the things that are in her bookmark folder...

Nat Geo
Astronomy.com
Space.com
Discovery.ca
And Kinglizards avatar thread with all his paintings in it.

She has some game sites and stuff as well but their is just as much stuff like above as the time wasting stuff.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Kudos for treating your kids like intelligent human beings and for letting them learn real skills like reading and conversation.

I wish some of the parents local to me had the same attitude, then their kids wouldn't be kicking over my trash can for entertainment instead of understanding that they could do more.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join