It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You were at fault op not the equipment. You made a change in you, again not the equipment. My children play games and watch TV. They watch Nat Geo and Discovery Kids. They are 3 and 7 years old. They actually dont watch much TV but the wife and I never encouraged it.What little they do is educational and they usually draw pictures and play about the subjects they watch. Many parents encourage tv use without realizing it. We play family games and interact with our kids and they have always picked time with us over time with electronics.

Congrats and nice job.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by shug7272]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SSanguine

Again Diploma anyone...

2nd line. done.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Sigh...

Perhaps reading comprehension is the reason that you fail at following cookbook directions.

I also said...

That way TV becomes more of a entertainment tool than a babysitter.

So if you had bothered to read past the first couple of lines perhaps you would have picked up on that one.

Personal attacks is the last bastion of folks with a weak argument. I wasn't attacking you however, I have no idea why you feel the need to do so with me.

I was simply disagreeing with a comment you made, that's it. I haven't attacked anyone. Please stop acting as if I am going on a tirade.

I do disagree with you, yes. You think the OP did the "right thing." I do not. I applaud the premise, I disagree with the final action. I think removing all such influence is a great way to ostracize your children from society.

It's almost as if the OP was making a point, rather than actually finding an elegant solution to the problem. The TV nor the PS3 are not evil entities that should be shunned. Rather, they are tools which can be used for a lot of good, if managed correctly.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by fleabit]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
The TV nor the PS3 are not evil entities that should be shunned. Rather, they are tools which can be used for a lot of good, if managed correctly.

Exactly, and that's what a lot of people are missing in this topic. Television, computers, video games, etc., are not some mystic objects that emanate an evil aura that will steal your kid's soul. They're tools that, when used properly, can bring benefit to the one using them. Without the tools of a computer and the Internet, ATS wouldn't even exist. In the same way you can use a knife to murder someone, you can use that same knife to cut vegetables. From one perspective, I can understand why people who can't control the things they do eliminate the things they can't control, but from another, it's not right to call the things they can't control evil.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

In the world we live today, with the same reason it is best to train the mind, body, and spirit instead of one exclusively, I think that, with proper guidance, maintaining balance is the best path for somebody to follow. Calling television and the Internet drugs just because you can't control yourself doesn't make it true.

Being a shut-in NEET who does nothing but watch television and browse the Internet 20/7 is just as "bad" (perspectives, perspectives) as a person who does nothing but read books and frolics through the flowerbeds all day. The more balanced you are, the more doors that are open to explore.

Somehow there were and are a few billion people who managed to train their minds without videogames to assist them.

The drug thing come is when you consider that most Western people are awake say 16 hours a day, and with 8 hours of work or schooling, an hour or two of functional stuff like going places, eating, bathing, etc there are maybe 5 hours left of free time. Last I looked the average American was spending something like 4-5 hours a day watching television, now I think siphoned off to recorded videos, internet downloads etc.

If that's not addiction, what is?

Yes no one forces anyone to watch all that TV. No one forces the 100 million overweight Americans to stuff their daces, the millions of alcoholics to drink too much, etc. But habits and dependencies form with repetition and low level reward delivery. This is true especially with children, unaware of the harm and unable to control their needs. 3 generations of kids in front of television sets before they even eating real food.

I stopped watching TV sometime in the 90s. Do more than read and visit nature. There are things called meeting people, conversation, sex, creativity like art, etc - that are challenging, deliver stimulus, rewards, and sharpen your mind.

In the end you learn more form them and develop your operating skills more than from a canned documentary or packaged videogame.

Trust me on that.

There's something they don't advertise on TV or sell in stores. It's free. It's called quality of life.

Mike

[edit on 14-6-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
You get two thumbs up from me.

I quit watching TV myself, only rarely do I watch a movie. (And if I do, it's for feeding my retro 80's mood. The Goonies anyone?)

I'm glad you're being proactive and getting your children into books and other activities!

Peace,
FK

It is awesome that you mention the Goonies. I had to take a picture of the shirt I'm wearing once I read this post.

img.photobucket.com...

As to the topic, I think throwing out everything is a bit rash. Just limit what they do. My parents bought my brother and I a Nintendo when we were kids, but also kept us involved in sports and other activities. It was mostly used for something to do when we were bored on a summer day. I have an Xbox now, but it can go days or weeks at a time without being turned on. I'd still rather do stuff outside. It is all about balance.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by NICAP]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Good JOB!!!

You learned the most powerful word contains only two letters--"NO"!

Saying no can be a good habit if you look at it from the right perspective!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
this post made me realize how i was trapped by tech so i gave up my computer yesterday.

i feel so much better!

yes im being sarcastic.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

You totally missed my point, but that's fine. I was talking about moderation being the key rather than extremism. Extremism in bringing up kids can only result in odd adults.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

You totally missed my point, but that's fine. I was talking about moderation being the key rather than extremism. Extremism in bringing up kids can only result in odd adults.

Sorry if I missed your point. Moderation in anything is fine.

But when a kid is plonked in front of a TV set in infancy and that is the lifestyle of their peer group it becomes a norm.

5 straight hours of TV is insane. For most in the US considers it's a regular day.

I worked in media part of my life. We all learned one thing. Packaged entertainment is a hard drug.

Mike

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If you want to know what the hypnotized masses are consuming you need to understand their perspective. Without this knowledge you are simply painting with a broad brush.

I do not watch more than a couple of hours of TV in a week, if that, but I am not afraid of the box. For crying out loud as my grandfather was prone to say! Do you believe everything you read...I hope not.

People are so very very proud they killed their TV. I believe you are at a distinct disadvantage in terms of the big picture regarding media and the corporate takeover of media...especially indoctrination of the masses.

You alienate the people you seek to communicate with by telling them they are idiots and sheeple. I've read "Brave New World", The Peoples History of the US, Manufacturing Consent, Marshall McLuhan and countless others and I don't think the cube has me by the short hairs

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

You're missing the point. Millions of people used to live without telephones. Should we get rid of the evil, addictive telephone? What about the millions who used to live without light bulbs and electricity? Might as well move to a cave in the mountains!

There are some people that hate change, and some who adapt with it. What's good for you may not be good for others. What about people who have been socially inept from the get-go? What about people who are vocal and like acting?

If people want to be fat, lazy, watch television all day, browse through YouTube videos until their eyes are red, and live secluded from all of humanity for their life, they will do so, and no amount of "this is bad for you" will stop them. Just because their life style and perspective is different from yours does not make yours any more right.

You may believe it makes you more intelligent, happy, and complete, but it doesn't make you right.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Aye I agree with you. Modern entertainment has it's hooks into kids, leaving little incentive to read, excercise and do other healthy things.

However this has to do with the fact that most kids live in cities, and can't really "explore" and have normal childhoods. Also parent paranoia about stranger danger is at an ever growing peak. When I was a kid me and my friends would hang around in the woods pretending to be Rambo. Modern kids it seems to me are going to grow into strange adults, since they are allowed almost no independence at all, for fear that they might get abducted or god forbid fall over and break a bone.

The problem is a lot larger than just electronic entertainment anyway. Taking away that completely and hoping that will somehow "cure" children seems a naive approach to me. A well rounded life education is a difficult but essential component of a healthy adult. That includes a measure of social inclusion through having access to the same media/toys etc, alongside having a healthy diet of real life education. It's a very difficult balancing act, and I do not envy parents nowdays.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I played video games, read books, painted pictures and went out to play, why not all those things?

I don't see much wrong with playing video games, it's just an advanced book in a way, because that's what books are for, entertainment!

I see why you did this, I've seen this zombie phase, I've even been like this a couple of times, but I think that's when somebody gets too addicted to something, EVEN books.

I say keep giving them "different" things to have fun with and learn from, so they can experience all sides of life including the good fun video games, which are actually one of my fondest childhood memories. Such imaginative games as Zelda, final fantasy etc really did OPEN my imagination to many things, I got really interested in the art, the stories about love, friendship etc

Not a waste of time for me, also why are you fine with them reading a book for hours instead, it's basically the same thing.

I think there should be a balance, and banning them of such everyday things might be getting too close to over the edge, and when they become teenagers, well you might have a problem.

But in the end it's all about family, always take them places, always remind them of good family fun, things you can all do together, so they can appreciate "family"

Good luck!

[edit on 13-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

You are spot on with what you say about videogames. While my other under-age friends were out drinking in over 18 nightclubs trying to move up the popularity pole at school, I was at home playing videogames and having a wonderful time.

Honestly, games like Metal Gear Solid were rich in story and character and posed great philisophical questions about life, death, war, governments, relationships etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Barla Von

Absolutely agree. I for one wouldn't even be on this website if it weren't for MGS. The game mixes fiction and fantasy in a way that wakes people's minds up to the way things might be happening outside of the media.

Mgs got me into a different way of thinking about everything, it was my "wake up" I think. The game was given creative freedom about conspiracies in the United States, purely because it was created in Japan.

Now you see American companies producing similiar games to emulate mgs. Ubisoft and Splinter Cell, Assassin's creed, Bourne conspiracy. To name but a few. Now there is a generation of young American guys growing up on this stuff.

Hopefully it will open their minds, without making them into crazed tin hatter though

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Oh my, I see your decision has stirred quite an interest on the site AD!

I did not read every single reply but I would like to suggest something to you. First of all I agree with what you did, it is a (very big) step in the right direction for the future of your children.

Many stated that there should be balance in TV & Video Game time and the book reading, writing. I thing this idea has some merit if applied correctly.

Here is my suggestion: Very gradually introduce your kids to intellectually stimulating based video games. I am talking about games such as brain age and tetris. Although offline, I would suggest introducing them to sudoku as well which is an excellent logic fortifier. Sure it's a limited list but it will still provide variety. Also, when they start working odds are very high that they will be required to have a minimal proficiency in operating tech devices. Think about it.

One last suggestion: Wouldn't it be interesting to sit down with your kids and watch the mainstream media news and then you would show them how what they see on tv is usually a spin on things and often carries veiled meanings? Encourage their critical thinking abilities from a young age! And what a better place to get the skinny on what's ACTUALLY going on than to compare the tube news to the alternative news found online (ATS?). Again, think about it

Please don't take any of what I said as criticism. I am simply offering my opinion on a radical thing you did

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thank you!

When I wake up tomorrow I'm Not turning my TV on, I'm not going to get on the laptop as I have been doing for far too long now.
I want to get back to relaxing and enjoying my life and my family undisturbed by meaningless games and repetative tv shows, tomorrow I'm going to start painting the picture of my son as I said I would weeks ago, and I'll write that letter to my grandmother who doesn't have a phone and lives far away.

I don't spend all day on the laptop with the TV on in the background mind you, I do have time outs in the day, But I don't make use of them and I thank you for reminding me off the "better" days where I actually did get out every day and make memories.

Thank you, thank you for making me realize that there is still a pretty beautiful world out there to be enjoyed. Hopefully the hubby will be able to leave plants and zombies alone for a day, blah...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

You're missing the point. Millions of people used to live without telephones. Should we get rid of the evil, addictive telephone? What about the millions who used to live without light bulbs and electricity? Might as well move to a cave in the mountains!

You're the one who doesn't get it. This has nothing to do with conservatism and resistance to technological changes.

Telephone is one of many modern advances like electricity, automobiles, airplanes, refrigeration, etc.

It's a delivery mode device. It allows talking to those too distant to meet with directly. You use it for conversation. It's not packaged entertainment product with scheduled programming, commercials, celebs, etc.

I've explained this same point 3 times and would prefer you don't bring up the same question again.

Mike

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by SSanguine

Again Diploma anyone...

2nd line. done.

Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

Do you actually think that a piece of paper means that you're automatically intelligent? What a naive little creature someone can be when they think that a piece of paper proves a person's worth.

Did these men go to college and recieve that golden piece of paper?

Thomas Edison
George Washington
Harry Truman
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore
Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Grover Cleveland
Adolf Hitler

www.collegedropoutshalloffame.com...

Weird, I can visualize some snot nosed PhD lib going up to George Washington: "Sir, I'm sorry, your credentials just aren't good enough. Experence is fine, but what does that matter?!? You need to have your bachelors at LEAST. Snort snort."

Hrmm, you know what most of those people listed(not the website link) have in common?

They read BOOKS, and MAPS, and handled ACCOUNTS. They didn't sit on their butts all day with a gameboy, while watching TV, and eating a Big Mac.

I doubt that Abigail Adams would have allowered her children these "entertainments."

You call this progression? Mr. Change Change Change sitting high and mighty and not doing a flipping thing for the struggling US people? He went to Harvard right? Does that make him qualified to be a president? NO. It's amazing that the leftys are so into, "breaking down the barriers and labels", but now if we don't spend 120g for a piece of paper, you're considered ignorant.

This society is going to destroy itself and when it does, AD's kids and the other people's kids who mentioned they did the same, are going to take charge because THEY have been taught action and will know WHO they are. Long before the majority ever decides to detatch himself from the tit, if ever.

It's okay to let go joker, really, let it go.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm 22, I grew up watching a lot of television, films, and playing video games. I also enjoy reading very much. Moderation is the key to everything. If my parents felt that I was glued to something to much they would turn it off and tell me to do something else.

I get the love of reading from my father. In middle school I was reading at a college level, even after all the tv and video games. You know what books got me into? Film. I love movies and am saving up to go to school to produce films because I want to share my abundant imaginary world with the rest of the real world.

I learn some of the most interesting things just from watching television. History channel has opened many doors for me haha.

MODERATION is the key word to anything. And I don't see the reason you wouldn't like to debate the subject with a 17 year old, a well versed 17 year old at that. He is young enough to know about how technology has effected his life and old enough to not use the arguement "your a terrible parent because the tv is more awesome than anything out there."

I know you have your childrens' best interest at heart but completely cutting them off will leave them in the dust.

I say take away the computer as well. The internet is nothing but a glorified television with a million channels that are uncensored. Don't try to tell them that technology is bad but make exceptions.

My sister is 14 and can quote you whole television shows and movies. She can even tell you the best strategy to beat the hardest boss on that game you are playing. She also gets straight A's, is at the top of her class, can read at a college grade level like I could, has tons of other activities such as dance, theater, track, finds tons of time to go out with friends and recently went on her very first date (which is scary to me haha). She loves to write, draw, and even hopes to one day work in film (I was a good influence on her
). The love of television and video games has not hindered her ability to be a social and productive child whatsoever.

It's all in the parenting, not saying you are a bad parent because just that fact that you are trying to improve your childrens' lives shows you are a good parent, but this is the technology age. My nephew is 2 1/2 and watches tv. He loves watching Ni Hao Kai-Lan on Nick Jr. and he can use some of the Chinese words that are taught during the show. Some things can be educational.

But now I'm rambling. I just thought that I would throw my thoughts and experiences in here.

Much love,
HarlieQuinn

[edit] to correct a word I misspelled.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by HarlieQuinn]

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join