It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
You know, I think overall you did a great thing. I will, however, say that movies and video games are not inherently bad. When comparing that medium of entertainment to books, the former undoubtedly has a higher proportion of mindless junk. I don't even watch TV anymore, stopped when I was around 15 or 16. I hear my friends talking about shows such as The Hills, and I feel embarrassed. I watched a few minutes of the show with them once and I felt as though the producers were personally trying to insult my intelligence, haha. And I never watch the news, either. When I was a little kid, I noticed a striking similarity in the tone of voice of those news casters with that of my teachers. You know, that condescending tone of voice that an adult takes when talking to a child as if he were an idiot.

Even with all that, movies and video games should not be totally banned, at least for me. The Godfather, Seven Samurai, and Nobody Knows taught me just as much as 1984, One Hundred Years of Solitude or Life of Pi ever did. And video games such as the Final Fantasy series and Pokemon excited my imagination and got me interested in drawing. If I ever have children, I'll let him watch movies and play games, but I'll make sure they're good ones, and I'll encourage him to read just as much.

Anyway, you sound like a wonderful mother. I wish I had one like you when I was a kid.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
Sorry to rain on your parade. There are ways to have fun and things to talk about besides packaged entertainment and what they try to sell you. Because a drug is popular doesn't make it a necessity for everone.

Sorry to rain on your parade. There are ways to have fun and things to talk about besides getting involved with mother nature and what she tries to sell you. Because a drug is popular doesn't make it a necessity for everyone.

See what I did there?

In the world we live today, with the same reason it is best to train the mind, body, and spirit instead of one exclusively, I think that, with proper guidance, maintaining balance is the best path for somebody to follow. Calling television and the Internet drugs just because you can't control yourself doesn't make it true.

Being a shut-in NEET who does nothing but watch television and browse the Internet 20/7 is just as "bad" (perspectives, perspectives) as a person who does nothing but read books and frolics through the flowerbeds all day. The more balanced you are, the more doors that are open to explore.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I see this thread has taken an extreme direction, in the complete opposite way that I had hoped it would, and become a monster in itself.
I had hoped that seeing as many members view mainstream media as an evil entity that this thread would create an interesting discussion on the topic of the affects on children who watch what you all deem to be evil.
I hoped for too much apparently, and the issue was misconstrued and instead became a question of parenting.
I must say, that Iam shocked at the responses, shocked at the lack of respect shown for other members in this thread , which explains why I got support via u2u, because anyone who showed support in the thread was wide open for a bashing as well.
Time and time again we are reminded here to debate the topic, not the poster of it...and yet I see 12 pages either applauding or slamming my personal decision.With the exception of a few posts that actually did try to debate the topic..the thread them returned to it's monstrous direction.
I see posts that obviously didn't read anything I said in this thread, yet I get bashed for not replying properly.
I see posts that completely show the ignorance of some people because you obviously only read the first page...
I will say this-
ATS is the best site on the net, that's why I come here, that's why I shared what I did. BUT:
ATS is a message board, and nothing any of you say here affects my reality or my decision one iota.I have a thick skin and I can play with the big boys here as much as anyone...when the right topic presents itself. However, I won't debate my parenting, or my personal life TO ANYONE. You want to debate the topic of good TV versus bad, or how video games supposedly help a child in adult life (good luck with that) then go ahead.
My participation in this thread is over, due to everything I say either being ignored or twisted around.And I do have much better ways to spend my time...since according to some of you, I have no right to be here.
Can't have it both ways. Right?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I guess you missed the awesome post I spent 20 minutes making showing all the good things that the PlayStation 3 is capable of

It is cool though. I know you have never used the system and are probably not aware of it's capabilities. You see "video game".

Just hoping you would be able to take the time to understand something more before passing judgment.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SSanguine

Remember there are kids with 5x worth lives. That sounds like a load, if

you know what I mean; since you must be talking out of your vast

experience. My post hard to read HAH. I love talking like I have a PhD too

and my doctrine from harvard in english allows me to correct everyone's

spelling as well. I'm still waiting for your Diplomas, that say you should be

qualified enough to correct someone's writing.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I say BRAVO for the courage to follow through with this.

I find it quite interesting how many people say that they couldn't live without their cellphones or the internet or their favorite TV show. And advertisers and marketing is geared towards making you think that your just not living without A GPS, and Ipod, or your playstation...

So Bravo for taking control..

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous
I say BRAVO for the courage to follow through with this.

I find it quite interesting how many people say that they couldn't live without their cellphones or the internet or their favorite TV show. And advertisers and marketing is geared towards making you think that your just not living without A GPS, and Ipod, or your playstation...

So Bravo for taking control..

Well isn't that the sad truth. The last time i went camping for two weeks a friend came with me. She had her iPod, phone on all the time, makeup (we didn't see anyone in 2 weeks) and a ton of other rubbish. None of it was essential or really made life much better in my opinion. She couldn't carry most of it around with her anyway. She even had a little fan that ran out of batteries after a few days and became dead weight.

We really have fallen for this idea that we need all this junk.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Lets not forget your MAC or PC either or in your case Johnny, a microphone and a radio transmitter.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
A week ago, I made a drastic change in my home.
I noticed far too much that my bookshelf was getting dusty, yet the various movies and video games were constantly strewn about the living room.
I noticed my 5 year old daughter would get up in the morning and immediately put on a movie...and the same before she went to bed.
I noticed my kids playing outside and talking with their friends and a lot of the conversations revolved around the movies they watched or video games they played.
I SAID ENOUGH.
I gave it all away.
The TV, the VCR/DVD, the movies..and the video games. ALL OF IT.
I expected mutiny on the bounty.
What I got, was my daughter getting up every morning and reading a book, and the same before bed.
Instead of playing video games, my sons have taken more of an interest in nature, and drawing what they see. My other daughter has taken to writing poetry.
You never really stop and think how much time in your life is taken away by what is deemed "Entertainment".
My kids were turning into zombies...and I couldn't let that happen.
Call me whatever you like, as I'm sure a few will see this as mean parenting..but I prefer the days before "Entertainment" when kids had an imagination when they played, and a generation that was brought up with good family values and a strong work ethic.
Funny, how just over a year ago I met someone who didn't own a TV..and for the life of me I couldn't fathom why. Now, I get it. I really do. You can't live life when you are being distracted away from it.

But I kept my computer so i could keep up my electronic entertainment.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is completely ridiculous. Cutting out all of the television and video games, is not in the least bit acting like a responsible adult. Just like the extreme liberal parent who lets these electronics 'babysit' them, you've now reached the extreme conservative side, where you now cut them off from the constantly changing environment they will surely be ill-equipped and overwhelmed by, when they reach their adult lives. Both end up with the same familial results only with yours being more resentful toward you in the end.

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I see this thread has taken an extreme direction, in the complete opposite way that I had hoped it would, and become a monster in itself.
I had hoped that seeing as many members view mainstream media as an evil entity that this thread would create an interesting discussion on the topic of the affects on children who watch what you all deem to be evil.
I hoped for too much apparently, and the issue was misconstrued and instead became a question of parenting.
I must say, that Iam shocked at the responses, shocked at the lack of respect shown for other members in this thread , which explains why I got support via u2u, because anyone who showed support in the thread was wide open for a bashing as well.
Time and time again we are reminded here to debate the topic, not the poster of it...and yet I see 12 pages either applauding or slamming my personal decision.With the exception of a few posts that actually did try to debate the topic..the thread them returned to it's monstrous direction.
I see posts that obviously didn't read anything I said in this thread, yet I get bashed for not replying properly.
I see posts that completely show the ignorance of some people because you obviously only read the first page...
I will say this-
ATS is the best site on the net, that's why I come here, that's why I shared what I did. BUT:
ATS is a message board, and nothing any of you say here affects my reality or my decision one iota.I have a thick skin and I can play with the big boys here as much as anyone...when the right topic presents itself. However, I won't debate my parenting, or my personal life TO ANYONE. You want to debate the topic of good TV versus bad, or how video games supposedly help a child in adult life (good luck with that) then go ahead.
My participation in this thread is over, due to everything I say either being ignored or twisted around.And I do have much better ways to spend my time...since according to some of you, I have no right to be here.
Can't have it both ways. Right?

Why would you say you never intended this to be a personal attacks on your parenting skill? You put up in your title "radical". that will always attract people from both sides of the aisle. You caused the backlash yourself. You say you want this to be a debate about having TV to no TV, but as I counted your title post has 15 "I"'s in it. This topic is about you and your decision. Don't deflect on-topic questions about your parenting decisions, when you let everyone in on your family decision, and the so-called 'immediate benefits' you claim to observe, with over defensive responses that make it sound like these posts act like you should be hung from the rafters.

Also you mentioned that your daughter still has the iPod? Have you listened to todays popular music? I can say that 3/4ths of the music industry contains today is either scream metal, hipop/rap/new wave electronica, or cookie-cutter, teenie-bopper pop (Hannah Montana/Jonas Bros./Every other Disney Channel singer.) These are the worst because you would never know if subliminal messages were being sent through her ear because you would never be able to pick it out, isolate it, and ban it, because of all the wave lengths we as humans pick up in our brains but cannot hear. These could be traveling completely un-impeded to our brain full-blast.

Why is moderation such an extremely rare act seemingly now-a-day?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
"That is why we don't have tv in our house.."

THat's why she gets zombified by it!! She doesn't have one at home and it's much more interesting for her to watch it when she has the chance!! She'll be even more zombified by it when she grows up and starts living her own life. I used to get "zombified" too when I was younger and only when an very interesting show or movie was on. Now the TV is just a box to me.
The only problem is that the kid might get addicted but it's too much of a work for parent to limit the tv or video game times for their child and so they kill the tv.

Edit:
Friends can affect your kids much more than the TV would. If your kid sees that one of her friends has those new jeans from the TV ad or that iPhone and comes home asking for one then will you take his/her friends away?

[edit on 14/6/2009 by DGFenrir]

[edit on 14/6/2009 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
While I personally think you went a tad overboard, I highly commend you for actually doing something and taking a serious interest in your children. There are just way too many parents these days that are happy for things like T.V., using it as method to keep their kids "out of their hair" which is a really sad thing imo.

However, I think keeping entertainment items does have some value. There is actually a rather lot of great stuff on T.V. that might help your kids in their futures. When I was a kid, I had aspirations of being both an entomologist (thank goodness that passed), and an archaeologist. You know, if I had a high def TV like I do today, and the slew of shows on the history, science, HD and other channels, I think I would have pursued that dream. To see all the wonders in the world is a great motivator.

I think the key is to spend more times with your kids, honestly, for most parents, perhaps yourself included. If you are doing stuff with your kids, they are not watching tv and playing video games. If you limit the time watching or playing (and limit what they can watch and play... and don't completely cut off 'fun' shows and games), spend other time with them, and balance it all with outdoor activity, I think you'd be fine.

I saw this same thing on the Oprah show (I don't usually watch mind you... my wife bullies me into it). A saw a mom do EXACTLY what you did. She actually had a larger home. She sold it and all the entertainment venues, bought a small home in another country, and bought her kids a pair of bikes, and then claimed she cured them of all their woes. Well, personally, I felt rather sorry for them. I thought such a radical change was due more because of her inability to set limits and controls in their lives, than her kids becoming zombified hooligans because of tv and video games.

The world is evolving very fast. Much quicker imo, than any time in the history of the world. I think people are having difficulty adjusting to how quickly this is happening. Technology is changing our world. The world is going to advance, whether we like it or not. There is no reason to panic and try to slip back into the past to avoid it. Rather, embrace it, USE the good parts that come about as a result, but intelligently manage those things so that they benefit your family, and do set your kids back because you refuse to evolve with the planet.

Set aside reading nights. Read TO your children. Pick a series that will help them learn and go through it with them (Britannica makes a Great Books of the Western World series - if parents went through that with them from children until they were 18, they'd be SO much more knowledgeable and ready for the world). Monitor what your kids watch. Don't completely force them to become modern-day technology pariahs. Let them watch some fun shows, play some games. Have some nights where video games and non-educational shows are off-limits. Have 2 nights a week where none is allowed, force them outside.

I do applaud your efforts. I just think your approach may be heavy-handed and off kilter a bit. There is compromise there, for a parent that is seriously involved in their children's lives.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I think your doing the right thing AD,

Kids spend way way too much time in front of the idiot box, playing video games, watching endless amounts of garbage.

I think parents have a responsibility to make sure their kids grow up with the love of reading, the arts, and knowing how to entertain themselves. That way TV becomes more of a entertainment tool than a babysitter.

As far as homeschooling your children, as smart as you are AD they definitely will benefit from that more than the drone factory public schools have become.

You go AD, keep up the great work being a great parent

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Kids spend way way too much time in front of the idiot box, playing video games, watching endless amounts of garbage.

There are a lot of great quality shows on TV, it's only an idiot box if you only make it one. I don't watch a ton of TV myself, but when I do, there is some great stuff. HD is really a sweet advance, it makes for some great shows. 1000 places to see before you die for example.. great show, and would benefit any child seeing it. There are a ton of great shows on history channel, science channel, HD channel, and discovery.

I liked the idea of cooking, but I never did it much, books really never conveyed to me how to really do it. Then I found the food network channel. I used to watch that like crazy. Now, people love my cooking. I cook all sorts of complex and fun things... if I had this when I was a kid, who knows, maybe I would have ended up as a chef.

People play off stuff too quickly as worthless. Even the right video games can help your children learn. The key is parents having actual input and control over what they watch and play, to help them grow and learn, without making their children technical outcasts in society.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Exactly no body knows the meaning of moderation anymore, or the fact that putting your foot down when kids are being excessive with certain things is also a key to being a PARENT. I think people deal far to greatly in absolutes and I absolutely agree that TV and Video Games do have extremely beneficial educational uses. Also another question to the OP, do you take your child out of school when a video is going to be played or if they go to the science museum is the projection screen off limits???

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by StevenDye

Without going into the problem of calling you an ignorant teenager, I will not, however, your debate in this because of your age is 100% invalid, because you are the child in the instance of the type of change AccessDenied is trying to instill within her home.

You are the child, not knowing your potential path, let alone the path you will take.

Unless, of course, you have already picked out your college, degree of choice, and future career, have a job, or have already talked with a recruiter and are joining an Armed Service in the near future.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

Okay, I've picked the parts I wish to rpely to. Firstly, I already made my claim that your age also makes your argument just as invalid. You are the adult, you are not growing up experiencing the same world I am. So I guess nobody can reply in such a debate, I for some reason am too young to give a valid argument, even though my point seem valid to myself.

And you are not growing up in this world and can not try and relate to it, of course if you have children you can speak to them to try and fnd out, but it is never the same.

I have chosen further education, I have not picked a university since they pick you (I am in England). But I intend to continue media studies at university, and have already been told I could get a place even htough I still have a year left before I can apply.

After finishing at university I am applying to join the fire service, if I am able to get a job, I will continue a job in media when I retire, if I do not get the job I will take up a career in media immediately until I can happily apply to the fire service again.

So I do know my potential path, but it is impossible to know the path I will actually take since in the end it is not entirely up to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DGFenrir

Again great point, if the child's friends are becoming a bad influence, what then? New friends? On average 56% of teens will break the law because of peer pressure from friends, so who needs violent TV and Video games. I also agree fully that parents act so greatly in absolutes because they don't feel like going through the trouble of policing there kids with moderation. But whatever not my kids do what makes you happy, better yet just buy a few cages and throw some books and art supplies in.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Sigh...

Perhaps reading comprehension is the reason that you fail at following cookbook directions.

I also said...

That way TV becomes more of a entertainment tool than a babysitter.

So if you had bothered to read past the first couple of lines perhaps you would have picked up on that one.

Then you would understand that the tv can be useful. but shouldn't be dominant in a child's life.

That's ok, I know that some posters here post to be argumentative.

and before you stumble around trying to comprehend that quote, Ill give you a hint.

If tv wasn't entertaining, no one would watch it and no one could learn from nifty shows on it. Yes entertainment can be educational.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by SSanguine

Remember there are kids with 5x worth lives. That sounds like a load, if

you know what I mean; since you must be talking out of your vast

experience. My post hard to read HAH. I love talking like I have a PhD too

and my doctrine from harvard in english allows me to correct everyone's

spelling as well. I'm still waiting for your Diplomas, that say you should be

qualified enough to correct someone's writing.

I do talk out of experience when it comes to abused children and tortured childhoods. Whether or not you believe it, I could care less, but I've personally been through it and have had plenty of experience with other people who have been through the same. I definitely do not have to get into proving myself or my education to you. Guess what, you don't have to have a degree to tell someone that their spelling and punctuation is terrible post after post. Do you know one of the things that makes me loathe television so much? It gives an unrealistic view of the world to the extremes and plants them into the minds of children. Along with the all of the advertisements and grotesque fashions they put on a nine year old to make her look 14. Do you get that from reading a book? Do you have to go through all of these mature/sexual commercials, infomercials(with a guy who beats on hookers), buy me the latest and greatest *MADE IN CHINA* toy that we already have, but if we don't get it we're going scream. 95% of television is just BAD and I'm surprised that the Christians and Catholics haven't recognized the danger that it poses to their religion, but as long as the collection plate is still full.

Take the damn television away and put something else in front of your kids. Push them outside with a sketchbook, give them a camera, paintbrush and paints, bug collector kit, model cars, an instrument, building blocks. Parents have become just as lazy as kids, how many kids have their own play/tree houses that they built with their parents, bake cookies and cakes, plant a garden. Your kids can learn precious life skills, have fun, AND spend quality time with together. Have a family movie night and watch movies with good morals that make a point, like The Buttercream Gang and discuss them with your children.

It's a lot harder to raise your kids without the aid of the idiotbox. You actually have to participate in activities with them and support their developing skills.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by awdbawl

We could put your husband with my husband, he's got that squawk box (hugh flat screen) on from the minute he opens his eyes until he is alseep in his chair.

with the dog on the couch burying his head in the pillow until I turn the damn thing off.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by ofhumandescent]

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join