It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
AccessDenied, I love you.

What you now need to do, is notice the repurcussions of your actions. Take a moment to stand back and notice how your children's friends start to isolate them because they haven't got an interest in the same things anymore, and how they begin to filter their way through the other kids at school to try and find ones like themselves. Unfortunately, in this mindless-sheeple world we live in, becoming a social outcast because you choose alternative entertainment, may actually hinder the social development of your children.

Or, they may just do what I did, and learn how to be a self-righteous [insert expletive here] about their hobbies, and eventually convert everyone else around them, making the world a better place.

P.S I suggest you start buying your kids books like "White Fang", if you really want to broaden their minds. Who knows, they may even take a liking to Jack Londons books!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
AccessDenied:
I think that's an awesome idea. Except for maybe when football season gets here again! I can remember when I was growing up, there were your basic 3 TV networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS, that was it. I started reading when I was 5ys old and by the time I was out of elementary school I was reading some of my parents paperback novels. The books used to take me to places I had only heard of. They introduced me to all kinds of people and things I'd never dreamed of. Even as I got older, if you wanted to know what was happening in the world you had to read the newspaper. Did Pete Rose extend his hitting streak? Did George Brett get any closer to breaking .400? If you wanted to know, you had to learn how to read box scores in the sports section because there was no ESPN. And you were usually out shooting hoops or playing whiffle-ball with your friends until dark so you missed the news and the 3-minutes of sports included. Wow, I didn't mean for this reply to take me back in time but I think it did............

Peace Everyone,
CBS

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Without going into the problem of calling you an ignorant teenager, I will not, however, your debate in this because of your age is 100% invalid, because you are the child in the instance of the type of change AccessDenied is trying to instill within her home.

In other words, she's a mother, who has to nurture her children's education, intelligence, and future wisdom.

You are the child, not knowing your potential path, let alone the path you will take.

Unless, of course, you have already picked out your college, degree of choice, and future career, have a job, or have already talked with a recruiter and are joining an Armed Service in the near future.

Sorry, no dice. Go play Parcheesi, Life, or Chess, and actually learn, and turn off the boob-tube, before you become just another mindless boob yourself.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by C0NSP1R1ST

Good boy

I would also suggest that you start doing more for those less fortunate around you. Your fellow kinsman are in need too. They will teach you in school to be sensitive to those who live in Africa, India, the Himalayas, but the fact of the matter is that there are people suffering in Canada and The USA too. I find my money, clothes, food, and time better spent on the family down the street, a single parent who has been laid off and trying to feed, clothe, and educate his children. It takes a while to grasp this idea with teacher's telling you what to do and what's right and wrong, but you seem like a smart boy, question them. There is nothing wrong with giving to your own community first, because let's face it, we can't really be helping others when we can't even help ourselves. The Americas are on the decline and you should pay close attention to those around you, not just the needs of the people in Africa who seem to be unable to take care of themselves as a whole.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Absolutely the best thing you could have done, other than establishing routines and limiting the times for each of the time-waster activities.

Thank you for your post and for taking the power back as a parent in our modern world. Let's hope others get the message that kids are how they are becuse we allowed them to take the power, choose their activities and content, and also allowed the media to push "their culture" for the majority to become homogenised.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
awww c'mon stoop, thats not "radical" hahahaha

you're just barely prying up from the norm that you're so used to..

heeeelllllllooooohhhhh.......

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
i see you didnt take away the computer thats weird.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Love is a verb. It is an action and the action is caring about and for your children. You can ignore and abuse your children just as easily without TV etc. Read Dickens!

If you really care and participate in you kid's lives they will know. They will love and respect you. If you don't there are no amount of rules or books that will substitute for that love.

The first impact I can remember that TV made on me(this is for you older folks out there) is seeing Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech yes....on television. I was young at the time but I remember crying. Was TV bad that day??? Not for me. The second was the moon landing. Glad I had a TV that night! ( I know Stanley Kubrick faked it LOL) and countless other examples.

Tim McVeigh read and was profoundly moved by the "Turner Diaries"

Ted Kacinski (sic) was well read and excellent student...but I would doubt he was loved. Ted the ultimate Luddite. I believe his shack is on display somewhere...

Moderation...

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jay.mo
i see you didnt take away the computer thats weird.

If you read why she didn't take the computer away or look at any kind of logical reasoning of why it wasn't taken away, then you would understand.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SSanguine

Yea i know what you mean about helping others around you, I'm like the Dr.Phil people i know. They tell me about there problems i help. They go to bed easy that night.
But i don't. That doesn't bother me though , i feel as if i have accomplished something..
But right now , my mom is a single parent of 4. Me, my 2 brothers and 1 sister. and she is a waitress. She can't do much, and the x's are not filing taxes so no baby bonus stuff. So we are low on money.. so i cant help charity wise.

So i help mentally

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
That hardly makes you anything other than a concerned parent. Having kids myself I believe more in teaching them the why's behind not watching so much tv or video game playing. We have limits on tv and game time and supervise what they are even allowed to watch.

I'm sure a lot of kids would like to be able to wake up and go watch a movie and then watch a movie before bed. I personally can't imagine allowing such a thing and find that if things are out of control with tv watching or video games then likely it is my fault for allowing it to begin with.

It does sound like they have developed quite a bit in other areas since not being allowed to watch tv and play video games.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Good or bad, parent will be parents just like boys will be boys.
I'm sure your parents felt the same way when they were raising you. Are you just like your mom, AD?

Yes, I can see the benefit of cutting your young children from TV and video games altogether. However society is becoming more and more technological these days, to me it's a lot better to find a balance rather than cutting it altogether.

No, I disagree with your homeschooling stance, but it's not my call..

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Oddly enough, following this thread has made me realize that I almost never watch TV or play video games. I really don't miss it... to the extent that until just now I didn't even notice that I was living without it.

Once in awhile I'll half-listen to whatever my roommate's watching, and on rare occasion I'll rent a movie. Other than that... I just bury myself in the boob tube for the new generation: My computer.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Good Idea starting with this laptop LOL but thats where i get all my juicy info!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Did this about seven years ago. They complain here or there, but they play outside, read, get artsy, and basically are about ten times smarter than the other kids in the hood ;-)

Good for you. TV sucks, as in, sucks your life away.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Nice one, my parents rationed TV up to the age of 15. One hour a day, then I could read books. I didn't like it much... I didn't hate them, it just irritated me, but I loved reading so it wasn't too bad.

My parents were fairly liberal, but my Dad wouldn't hire out Jaws or Rambo for me at the video store when I was ten. I asked why, and he said, cos it's rubbish that makes you scared of nature and numbs you to violence. I just shrugged, O.K.-

They also didn't let me watch too much horror.

The rules slipped when I was about 15, but I think protecting children's minds from all that trash is important when they're really young. It goes deep into your psyche and none of us can talk objectively about the results cos we're all tied to the matrix to one extent or another.

I think one of the reasons so many people are such cowards nowadays is that Cop films have made them scared of government, Freddy made them scared of dreams, horror made them scared of meditation, Arnie made them think violence is cool.

When I watch TV I try and sit down and properly watch a movie, nothing wrong with that... Plus I watch Nat Geo and Discovery to try and learn stuff. I only actually let myself watch those 3 things.

Well done for helping your kids out.

NOTE: When the history of the 20th/21st century is written, TV will be regarded as one of the biggest mind control devices ever, but Youtube et al will be seen as one of the most revolutionary and liberating things ever to happen to the human race.

[edit on 16f20090amSun, 14 Jun 2009 02:21:15 -050015 by HiAliens]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
To the OP: good for you!

We unplug the tv for a week or more at a time to help our daughter detach from the junk and get back to more imaginative creativity and play. And the interest in book reading goes way up when the TV is shut down. To be quite honest, even I feel better when it's not on. I feel less anxious and clear headed.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I think chucking out all the stuff was a bit cruel. Not only will your kids be denied having fun playing videogames and movies but they will also be excluded from conversations about said stuff in the school yard etc. And videogames and movies and such are a vital social talking point among kids.

Do you really want your kids to be known as "those weird kids" and grow up with no friends? You're probably thinking I'm exaggerating, well I'm not. If you're not talking about the right things and wearing the right clothes, you are excluded to the edges of social groups pretty quickly. And yes I speak from experience

I applaud your reasoning. But I don't think you thought this through properly. It is vital to a child's upbringing that they read as much as possible. Exercise enough. And learn about spiritual things in life like nature. But that can be achieved alongside them having fun with technology also. I really think careful moderation is what is best overall for kids.

Perhaps your kids are perfectly happy without any games and movies. I seriously doubt it. But if that's the case then that's awesome, I wish my own nephew and niece could manage such a feat. But if it's not the case, I hope you return some of their stuff and find a good balance.

/end preach

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Just goes to show how shallow most of that material really is.

Seems your kids saw right through it!

I'm over 50 and have been off TV since I was 20. Miss it? - NOT!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

Not only will your kids be denied having fun playing videogames and movies but they will also be excluded from conversations about said stuff in the school yard etc. And videogames and movies and such are a vital social talking point among kids.

Do you really want your kids to be known as "those weird kids" and grow up with no friends? You're probably thinking I'm exaggerating, well I'm not. If you're not talking about the right things and wearing the right clothes, you are excluded to the edges of social groups pretty quickly. And yes I speak from experience

Sorry to rain on your parade. There are ways to have fun and things to talk about besides packaged entertainment and what they try to sell you. Because a drug is popular doesn't make it a necessity for everone.

95% of humanity somehow managed to get through life fulfilled without TV and videogames through history.

Through a connection with a school I've know dozens of kids who didn't bother with junk culture. To a one they had more friends, were far better socialized, knew more through reading, were always healthier and more athletic, and significantly got better grades and jobs than the nerdy pop culture junkies in their up-to-the-minute outfits that are called regular kids.

Mike

[edit on 14-6-2009 by mmiichael]

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join