It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by SSanguine

Ya and heres a hint to you when posting replies to someone try to stay on the subject matter at hand and also mind your own business. I'm just wondering if he's out taking you for a walk and your on one of those little kid leashes... Geez.

Mind my own business? This is a forum, or did you not notice that? You don't tell people what to do here. We're not so observant are we?

AD has done an awesome thing for her children and they will thank her when they get older. I understand the situation completely. I refused to watch television at the age of 13 years old, became bored with the tv brainwashed kids at public school, and homeschooled my way through high school. It's amazing how blind the majority of society is to the idiotbox and how much of our precious time is wasted on meaningless video games. People are encouraging lethargy in a deteriorating nation, some of us have the power to stand up and fight it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hey growing up with video games is a great reason why I can easily learn any new software, cell phone, computer etc.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bronwyn82

Could've fooled me...

Sorry I call a person of neutral sex "him" but a force of habit. You must be a feminist.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Geez there we go you actually stuck to the subject matter, now if you would be so kind go to page 3 about half way down the page and read my stance on the subject then if you'd like to debate further we can.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I do have to agree with you though and maybe my past post was too hasty.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water was a valid statement.

There are many good channels, I love the Discovery Channel, History Channel, The House of Reps and Congressional Channel, The Health Channel, Science Channel. There is a wide selections of offerings out there.

I still think that there is the possiblity that HD TV is being used as a tool to "condition" the general public into being compliant little sheep.

The link below is to a old article from 2005 however I think it deserves careful consideration.

www.rense.com...

The dumbing down of humanity is represented by another shift which occurs in the brain when we watch television. Activity in the higher brain regions (such as the neo-cortex) is diminished, while activity in the lower brain regions (such as the limbic system) increases. The latter, commonly referred to as the reptile brain, is associated with more primitive mental functions, such as the "fight or flight" response. The reptile brain is unable to distinguish between reality and the simulated reality of television. To the reptile brain, if it looks real, it is real. Thus, though we know on a conscious level it is "only a film," on a conscious level we do not--the heart beats faster, for instance, while we watch a suspenseful scene. Similarly, we know the commercial is trying to manipulate us, but on an unconscious level the commercial nonetheless succeeds in, say, making us feel inadequate until we buy whatever thing is being advertised--and the effect is all the more powerful because it is unconscious, operating on the deepest level of human response. The reptile brain makes it possible for us to survive as biological beings, but it also leaves us vulnerable to the manipulations of television programmers. This is where the manipulators use our own emotions as strings to control us. The distortions and directions we are being moved to are taking place in the subconscious, often undetected.

Propaganda techniques were first codified and applied in a scientific manner by journalist Walter Lippman and psychologist Edward Bernays (nephew of Sigmund Freud) early in the 20th century. During World War I, Lippman and Bernays were hired by then United States President, Woodrow Wilson, to participate in the Creel Commission, the mission of which was to sway popular opinion in favor of entering the war, on the side of Britain. Edward Bernays said in his 1928 book Propaganda that, "The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country."

The human brain can be manipulated. The Muzak that is played at the department stores have subiminal messages to "not steal" and "buy" just like in the movie "They Live" except in "They Live" the messages were written and not on TV. Same difference, there are ways of programming the human brain without the subject even being aware he/she is being "reprogrammed". After all the human brain is a super organic computer.

"They" have just gotten smarter in controlling the general population. It's more subtle, more hidden type of "mind conditioning". Not something you can consciously see or hear but that doesn't mean it's not there and the subconscious part of your brain isn't picking it up and incorporating it into you and that my friend is what "they" are aiming for.

Garbage in Garbage out.

I still believe while there are good programs to broaden our horizons, there is something ominious about that big squawl box.

"There will be in the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude and producing dictatorship without tears so to speak. Producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda, or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution."
-- Aldous Huxley, Tavistock Group, California Medical School, 1961

"Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it."
-- Woodrow Wilson

"The high office of President has been used to foment a plot to destroy the American's freedom, and before I leave office I must inform the citizen of his plight."
-- John F. Kennedy, at Columbia University, 10 days before his assassination

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Geez there we go you actually stuck to the subject matter, now if you would be so kind go to page 3 about half way down the page and read my stance on the subject then if you'd like to debate further we can.

I've already read that thing you call a post, obviously I didn't like it, and I don't view you as a person worthy of debating. Bronwyn82 is, but I agree with her completely as I do with what AD has done. You didn't have one decent response to bronwyn82 and you even thought she was a dude? What a waste of time. Why don't you run off and play Guitar Hero, it's getting lonely without you.

www.trashyourtv.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Like I said you people "love" to be "right". Enough said I'll just ignore the lot of you in this thread good day. lol.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

O and by the way count the stars on my posts some people seem to be agreeing with me can't be so bad a post now can it??? Much more then I can say for your works... if thats what you'd call them.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
OK , lets get this from a kids point of view...
Im 14, yes i know i probably shouldn't be on here, but i really enjoy this website and all its sacred threads...
But ,
AccessDenied, they are your kids and what you do with them is completely up to you.
BUT
My life has been pretty messed up , and i wasn't the most fortunate kid around, my dad left me when i was 2 , my mom got involved with assholes, my x step-dad was in and out of jail, . i have never had a solid male figure in my life, and many other things that are anything but average.
But , i think life works its own courses. Because , even though my life isn't great. I am smart, the girls like me, and i'm accepted into groups. I myself, don't like T.V, but i do play alot of video games, they are not all that bad. They are a great stress relief for me, when im going through something. How about Grand Theft Auto 4. A bad game in the eyes of most people, i think its great for stress relief.
my friends and I are always stressed out , and they will come to my house or something and we will play halo or grand theft auto , or some other violent video game.
And we always get a good laugh out of killing animated characters on a screen, but it doesn't mean we are going to really do it.
Video games , and technology is our (teenagers) medicine.

BUT ,
I am not always caught up in these games , i can mow the lawn , weed whack, garden, fix the family car, change a flat, take a motor apart , and put it back together, fix the computers, im a great outdoors man, etc.
I can still do all this stuff, WITH the media in my life. Not all is lost, we do talk about video games at school, last nights south park episode or whate ever, but as long as someone says something it is talked about, it could even be the latest pair of socks or something. Because we can all relate to it through the television.
Everyone sees the commercials about, cars and how good they are or what ever. That gets us curious , and we do a bit of research on the subject and gain some knowledge from it, then we talk about it at school and learn some more, I know i said i didn't watch t.v alot , but i do see alot of commercials when im waiting for my CSI to come back on
, but thats not the point.
T.V, Internet, Video games, they give us power, we learn things from them. Most teenagers are very curious, and when we see things we want to learn about them.

I think im done typing for now , but i hope you get the point.Things aren't always what they seem..

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by C0NSP1R1ST

Definently a perspective we needed. I don't think many people took the time to actually put themselves in a boys shoes like your own. Thanks for the perspective change.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

O and by the way count the stars on my posts some people seem to be agreeing with me can't be so bad a post now can it??? Much more then I can say for your works... if thats what you'd call them.

Ooo burn.... not .....

Do you think I care about stupid little stars? Are you like five years old? If you think that you're so right about what you said, then why are you so bothered that I disagree with you? Just accept it. I've written short commentary, where did I post that they should be among the great literary works of the 21st century? Perhaps you ASSume too much, and you know what thy say about that...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Apparently not but if your talking about people enjoying your work you should and since your so critical of other peoples I wouldn't talk unless people actually find your work interesting. Since they don't and since you think your some sort of "scholar" I'll leave you to yourself.

O and I must have "missed" where you corrected my grammar doctor. You act like your some sort of English major and then you retract your statement when someone coins in on the fact that your written work doesn't seem to be getting much notice, like I said whatever "your" world.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0NSP1R1ST
OK , lets get this from a kids point of view...
Im 14, yes i know i probably shouldn't be on here, but i really enjoy this website and all its sacred threads...
But ,
AccessDenied, they are your kids and what you do with them is completely up to you.
BUT
My life has been pretty messed up , and i wasn't the most fortunate kid around, my dad left me when i was 2 , my mom got involved with assholes, my x step-dad was in and out of jail, . i have never had a solid male figure in my life, and many other things that are anything but average.
But , i think life works its own courses. Because , even though my life isn't great. I am smart, the girls like me, and i'm accepted into groups. I myself, don't like T.V, but i do play alot of video games, they are not all that bad. They are a great stress relief for me, when im going through something. How about Grand Theft Auto 4. A bad game in the eyes of most people, i think its great for stress relief.
my friends and I are always stressed out , and they will come to my house or something and we will play halo or grand theft auto , or some other violent video game.
And we always get a good laugh out of killing animated characters on a screen, but it doesn't mean we are going to really do it.
Video games , and technology is our (teenagers) medicine.

BUT ,
I am not always caught up in these games , i can mow the lawn , weed whack, garden, fix the family car, change a flat, take a motor apart , and put it back together, fix the computers, im a great outdoors man, etc.
I can still do all this stuff, WITH the media in my life. Not all is lost, we do talk about video games at school, last nights south park episode or whate ever, but as long as someone says something it is talked about, it could even be the latest pair of socks or something. Because we can all relate to it through the television.
Everyone sees the commercials about, cars and how good they are or what ever. That gets us curious , and we do a bit of research on the subject and gain some knowledge from it, then we talk about it at school and learn some more, I know i said i didn't watch t.v alot , but i do see alot of commercials when im waiting for my CSI to come back on
, but thats not the point.
T.V, Internet, Video games, they give us power, we learn things from them. Most teenagers are very curious, and when we see things we want to learn about them.

I think im done typing for now , but i hope you get the point.Things aren't always what they seem..

Good for you, for being a strong kid and recognizing the negative aspects of your life thus far. Hopefully you will learn from them. Remember that there are other kids out there that have had a life 5x as bad as yours, so don't ever think that you're some special case, because you're not. Strive for excellence, don't ever make excuses for yourself, it's all any of us can do and it's the best advice to have. If you enjoy getting on forums and writing responses it will build your vocabulary, spelling, and grammar skills. You should be working on these at your age, because it's an easy time to become stuck in bad habits, like the spelling of *alot*, which does not exist. *A lot* is two seperate words and for any educated person, they will pick it out and take your post less seriously for such an offence. While online, your words and the way you write is how you are representing yourself, so it's important to pay attention. Right?

I wish you luck and hope that you pursue your dreams. Once your dream is realized, even playing Halo won't compare to the strong will and desire found in achieving your goals and maximum potential.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Apparently not but if your talking about people enjoying your work you should and since your so critical of other peoples I wouldn't talk unless people actually find your work interesting. Since they don't and since you think your some sort of "scholar" I'll leave you to yourself.

O and I must have "missed" where you corrected my grammar doctor. You act like your some sort of English major and then you retract your statement when someone coins in on the fact that your written work doesn't seem to be getting much notice, like I said whatever "your" world.

It's really hard and somewhat painful to read your posts. When you can take yourself away from the expert level of guitar hero long enough to take a basic English class, please come back and I will review your work. Until then.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I see a lot of replies here that state that I have taken the easy route.
I beg to differ.
It is quite easy to sit your child in front of the TV and let it entertain them.
Far different to have to be the one to create activities for them to do when they run out of ideas.
After reading the responses to this thread,I asked my children how they felt and if they missed having movies and videogames,(as for tv, we had 2 channels anyway), and the answer from all of them was a unanimous "NO".
They have all found better ways and more fun ways to spend their time.
You can all argue and debate that all you like.
Thanks to those who support my decision in this thread and via u2u.
To the others, you have your right to disagree, but you don't know me or my kids..and your judgment is narrow.
Now if you all will excuse me, I have given this thread more attention than it deserves...and it's story time.
good night.

Why post it here?

Were you looking for some kind of "Am I alone in this decision?" or you was just looking for praises?

Seriously, if you post something in a forum it's because you want people to read it, and probably wants other people views on that idea. And there is also that fair share of "I feel good with my decision and I want others to follow".

But criticism is something that should be part of that, but you're not taking it well.

Really in my opinion you're really having a naive view of the word, and going to extremes. Middle grounds are always good.

Don't get me wrong, it's your right to express your ideas and as you said I don't know you, your family, your sons, nor the conditions or the environment you're living in.

Personal attacks aside are not justifiable, but people are allowed to disagree with you and they are also entitled to their opinion about what you've posted. And calling them narrow minded isn't fair to say the least.

Personally like I said earlier I get your point, it's not entirely wrong. But I think you went way over the top by your measures. You can't force kids to live this way or that way, if you can it's your obligation to show them every option to them, let them choose and than explain/teach them other ways if you think that is not the ideal way.

Only by doing that you're preparing them to choose things, think, make decisions, etc instead of just teaching them how to comply and become conformists.

I know it's not related but I have to ask you, Home schooling?

I understand that you probably can do a better job than some teachers, but you're (like your nick name) is denying access to your sons to have social interactions with kids of their age, below and above.

Come on, we already live in a century where social interactions boiled down to posts in web forums, head collections on social networks and instant messaging. Taking that away from kids is really bad, you're raising them in a bubble indeed.

In a ideal scenario you would allow them to have both, a school where they socially interact with other kids and also learn something along the way, and then you as their home teacher to nurture that even further in your own home.

I really hope you're doing an excellent job, and raising amazing tolerants, clever and open minded human beings which can find their way in any kind of scenario.

Otherwise only time will tell what will happen when your ideals reach 16-18 and need to step in the real world society to work in a market (if we still have one till then) that was made by people outside that little bubble.

My best wishes to you.

And like you I already spent more time than needed with this thread. I know that I don't need the opinion of others when it comes to raising my children nor do I want to spread my ideas regarding that in web forums.

I know that I'm raising exceptional humans beings and I don't need to start threads to see if other people comply with that. Those around me and my kids already recognize that, so it's all good.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by C0NSP1R1ST

Hey, when I was reading your post (really good too, by the way) I was reading it in a Stan from South Park voice. You know how he gives these life lesson type monologues and it's really smart and articulate coming from a 4th grader. I think they're in the 4th grade. Anyway, your name isn't Stan, or Kyle is it? I know you're not Eric or Kenny or Butters.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow I'm glad that I don't live in your communist household. Perfect example of a good lack of communication. How hard would it have been to set up a set of rules and boundaries for proper TV and video game usage times. I doubt it would have been to hard to try and talk with your family about your concerns and worked around them and maybe coming up with a sort of compromise. I know that you had your children's best interest in mind when you made your drastic decision, but did you think of how this may effect them else where? Think school for example, ever wonder how other children may treat them once kids start saying that so and so parents are a bunch of hippies, and so ans so's parents are so poor that they cant afford TV? Kids can be cruel over the simplest of things. I bet if you were to listen in on what most of the kids in school use as topics to develop good skills interacting and socializing with other children, it isn't books. More like American idol and the latest video games. I am not trying to bash your decision but still think that talking and seeing what your children thought isn't a bad thing. They may be young but they can still express what they feel. If kids start feeling that there parents cant or don't listen to them over simple issues how can they expect there parents to listen to more complex problems that they may face like sex and or drugs. these are just my thoughts and nothing more. I hope that your experiment works out for the best. Good Luck

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Oh, trust me, I know I'm not a special case. 1 of friends has it bad, but his life is luxury compared to children's in Africa, who are born with AIDS , have no food, no shoes, and isn't it every 3 seconds a child dies from poverty? It truly is horrible, but i was just giving my case as an example, i know that I'm extremely lucky to live in a country like Canada, and i am very grateful for what i do have, especially my education. Actually at my school , last year we raised money and we gave children in Africa shoes. And , we sent cards to them and they sent them back. They are just like us, they see the same sky , they breathe the same air, but the still seem to be at the bottom of society to some. They get 1$ a month, some of us get 4000$. Thats like a million to them. But, we can't help everyone can we?
And as for the spelling of a lot , i know its just a habit. It's kind of hard not to write it correctly when even your teacher doesn't do so, but i am slowly getting out of the habit now by seeing people here on ATS using the correct "spelling".

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by uplander

I'm glad you liked it , and that is a good way of reading it. I am going to try it for myself

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think it's great that you got them to do other things besides games and tv.
Good job at that! A very well decision that I may someday keep in mind so my children don't get lost in the virtual world.

I admire nature and would love to see it more often, not just drive by it.

I definitely visit my ranch next week. It has been months!

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join