It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Reasons People Hate Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Pff I can do better than those off the top of my head.

American way, or no-way - I can't explain how tired I am hearing Americans demonize everything and everything that isn't a free market, every-man-for-himself democracy. There are other systems existing outside the boarders of America that do just fine and not every country can benefit from the same system. Social democracies dominate most of the first world, like here in Canada and contrary to popular American belief, it hasn't caused our society to spiral into a totalitarian communist dictatorship.

Selfish policy making - Whether any of us like it or not, America leads when it comes to international policy, and we all suffer because of it. The Earth will probably look like Venus before the issue of global warming is addressed. "Exporting democracy" and dragging everyone else along for the ride. Demanding developing countries like China and India curb their own development to allow Americans to keep their lavish lifestyle. Many, many more.

Anti-intellectualism - Turn on Fox news, listen to Republicans/Conservatives, between the two there's ample examples to cite. Spawning "intelligent design". Giving Sarah Palin airtime...

Widespread prejudice - Terrible discrimination towards homosexuals and minorities. Dehumanizing women seeking abortions, killing abortion doctors. It's almost like looking back in time 100 years.

Greed - See financial collapse.

Gracing the world with reality shows, rap music.. lol

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

If it weren't for US, the entire world would be speaking German.

Wouldn't really be an issue if the American Banks weren't funding the Nazi's in the first place.

You might want to look into Bush Seniors chequered family tree some more.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I got another one for you.

This obsession with appearances.

At the expense of substance.

American leaders must be well dressed, presentable, clean cut, have a good public image, be sociable, charming, etc, etc, etc...

About our leaders actually knowing how to do their job?

Eh... Not so much.

Americans really are a shallow bunch.

Constantly judging things from their surface features instead of learning about / understanding them.

it is very sad, how superficial this country is.

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

Each of us has differing experiences, and while some may read your post and say it's spot on, others will think you have your head where the "sun don't shine." So, basically, it's all boils down to an individual's perspective. In my perspective, I've always believed our world, as it marched towards globalization, has lacked leadership. The United States was required to fill that void on many occasions, whether it wanted to or not; we were the only free nation with the man-power and available resources. So in many ways, we became like a parent to the world. Countries begged for our help, but then slapped us away and denigrated us later, rather like a youth needing assistance but feeling shame for requiring that help. And after the fact, the youth claims the overbearing parent was sticking his nose in where it didn’t belong. Well…sorry, people of the world, but the citizens of the US are getting highly disgusted with having to come to your aid, which is usually to our financial and emotional detriment. It’s time you all moved out of the proverbial house, so to speak, and take care of yourselves.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by mjfromga]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga
Well…sorry, people of the world, but the citizens of the US are getting highly disgusted with having to come to your aid, which is usually to our financial and emotional detriment. It’s time you all moved out of the proverbial house, so to speak, and take care of yourselves.

I wonder what the Native American Indian word for Sanctimonious is.

Stop selling arms to other countries and stirring up strife so your fat-cats can profit by it, cos that's what actually goes on.

S'ok for you though, because it's somewhere else.

Misery Monger.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
For anybody who is going to come into this thread and defend our country as if it is the most wonderful place in the world--cut the crap, seriously. You say free capitalism, I say corporate capitalism to the nth degree, state-sponsored terrorism, un-educated and ill-informed citizenry, a culture of materialism and hero worship, and in many ways a cesspool of morally corrupt self-obsessed a-holes.

I love the natural beauty that can be found here, and I love what this country is supposed to stand for, but I hate what we have become and where it seems that we are headed.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
To be honest, I don't care who hates me, or my country.
Hate only affects the hater, not those he hates. If it weren't
for the U.S., Europe would all be speaking Russian right now.
Say what you want, but it was by winning th arms race, that
the U.S.S.R. was defeated.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
For anybody who is going to come into this thread and defend our country as if it is the most wonderful place in the world--cut the crap, seriously. You say free capitalism, I say corporate capitalism to the nth degree, state-sponsored terrorism, un-educated and ill-informed citizenry, a culture of materialism and hero worship, and in many ways a cesspool of morally corrupt self-obsessed a-holes.

I love the natural beauty that can be found here, and I love what this country is supposed to stand for, but I hate what we have become and where it seems that we are headed.

Ok, I'll say it. It is the most wonderful place in the world. Who has more freedom? who has more protection? who has more rights? We arent
perfect, not even close. But, there is not a better place on earth.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Reasons 1-10 that people hate Americans - JEALOUSY.
They deny it ... but that's it. That's all the top ten reasons.
That's the truth, if they know it or not.

here come the flames ...

Jealousy or not, the scales are still tipped!
I'm not flaming, for I am an American myself living in good old New Jersey.
But they're jealous for good reasons. And we're spoiled brats.
It's not all our faults (we're indoctrinated into this), but IMHO we could do more to help others.
...And to be nicer to others as well - that's a big one right there.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bong Sau

I find it interesting that the historical plight of Native Americans and the enslavement of African Americans is regularly brought up as some insinuation that the United State’s citizenry isn’t quite legitimate and must somehow be evil. Sorry Bud, but what happened generations ago cannot be undone, and Native Americans and blacks are as much a part of our nation as the rest of us. In fact, I think you would be amazed if given genetic tests, just how large of a percentage of our population is of mixed race. When there’s a war, young black men, red men, and yellow men fight and die alongside the white man…and our pooling blood looks the same.

By the way, are you suggesting that if North Korea should attack Japan, South Korea, or the state of Alaska, it is our own fault? Just curious…

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

here come the flames ...

It's not all our faults (we're indoctrinated into this), but IMHO we could do more to help others.
Name one country whose citezenry, or government does more to help others.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga
reply to post by Bong Sau

I find it interesting that the historical plight of Native Americans and the enslavement of African Americans is regularly brought up as some insinuation that the United State’s citizenry isn’t quite legitimate and must somehow be evil. Sorry Bud, but what happened generations ago cannot be undone, and Native Americans and blacks are as much a part of our nation as the rest of us.

Indeed, so why do you somehow think you have some moral/positional highground over the rest of the world.
What business did you have in Vietnam, what business did you have selling arms into the middle east?
Britain has done the latter one too, but nobody here is claiming to be the saviour of the world.

In fact, I think you would be amazed if given genetic tests, just how large of a percentage of our population is of mixed race. When there’s a war, young black men, red men, and yellow men fight and die alongside the white man…and our pooling blood looks the same.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
The US is nothing special in that, because every country is the same.
If you can lose the 'us vs them' mentality, we can all move forwards.

By the way, are you suggesting that if North Korea should attack Japan, South Korea, or the state of Alaska, it is our own fault? Just curious…
I'm suggesting it's none of your business.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seniord60

Originally posted by impaired

here come the flames ...

Name one country whose citezenry, or government does more to help others.

name one country whose citizenry or government does more to help
others.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

others.

Name one country, whose citizens or government spend more on armaments or invade more countries.

If that's what's leading you around by the nose, we're all lost.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

others.

Stats please!

Then list your Governments spending on armaments relative to the rest of the world.

Followed by countries invaded/occupied.

*Newsflash!

John Wayne did not win WW2.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
First of all, Americans can not ship UNWANTED items overseas -- because there would be nobody to buy them. So....everybody buying our "trash culture", "rap music", "bad fashion", etc., is just as bad as Americans.

Second, if you want to start or continue hating us for such things in the past, such as slavery, etc., then look deep. Every single powerhouse in this entire world has blood on their hands! You want to go back to the days of Rome, Spain, etc. You'll find you all have a dirty past. You think slaughtering people in what was considered "games" is any better?

Third, I wish that if everybody really hated Americans and the US, they would STOP COMING HERE. Seriously. We have plenty of people already and don't need anybody else here that hates us too (while enjoying everything we have here).

Fourth, I find it funny how many countries "hate" Americans but LOVE to take our money. Americans provide more aide and charitable contributions THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY.

Lastly, our military and its capabilities. If you hate us so much, STOP CALLING us when you get in trouble. South Korea: get your own border secure. Japan: Get your own military. Yes you signed an agreement saying you wouldn't have one, but now may be the time to start asking for one again. Which you haven't done because you are guarenteed protection from....the US! The list goes on.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bong Sau

others.

Name one country, whose citizens or government spend more on armaments or invade more countries.

If that's what's leading you around by the nose, we're all lost.

When disaster strikes, who sends more aid? What other country is giving
billions of dollars to fight AIDS in Africa? Yes, we have more armaments,
wich is why millions of people all over the world can sleep easily at
night. As for invading other countries, we are way down the list.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Link:www.globalissues.org...

From article:
"•USA’s aid, in terms of percentage of their GNP has almost always been lower than any other industrialized nation in the world, though paradoxically since 2000, their dollar amount has been the highest.
•Between 1992 and 2000, Japan had been the largest donor of aid, in terms of raw dollars. From 2001 the United States claimed that position, a year that also saw Japan’s amount of aid drop by nearly 4 billion dollars."

"Individual/private donations may be targeted in many ways. However, even though the charts above do show US aid to be poor (in percentage terms) compared to the rest, the generosity of the American people is far more impressive than their government."

"Nonetheless, it is interesting to note for example, per latest estimates, Americans privately give at least $34 billion overseas—more than twice the US official foreign aid of $15 billion at that time."

"...claimed that Americans are “clearly the most generous on earth in public—but especially in private—giving”.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I won't deny that there are good things about America, but there are plenty of perfectly good reasons for other countries to hate or even dislike us. Take into consideration all of the lives that we have destroyed...the millions that we have purportedly dislocated in Iraq, all of the innocent lives that we have taken in both Afghanistan and Iraq, the puppet governments that we routinely put in place in 3rd and 2nd world countries across the globe, the drug trafficking that certain US government agencies take part in.....this list could go on and on.

As for the BILLIONS IN AID that we provide to other countries.....wait a second, aren't we borrowing a buttload of money from countries like China? And the aid that we send out is what, supposed to wash our hands of all the blood that is needlessly spilled in the name of corporate capitalism? Err, I mean FREEDOM....yeah.

Btw, there are roughly 1 to 2 million people going homeless in the US of A every night. Shouldn't we help them first?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join