It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasonable penalties?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What are reasonable penalties for someone who can actually be held accountable for a crime?

IMO:

Mass murder: Life in the supermax
Arson: 25 years to life
Murder: 25 years to life
Rape: 5 years to life
Child Molestation: 10 years to life
Theft: up to 1 year
Corporate fraud: 25 years to life

What do you think?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
i think there is already set penatlties for these in most countrys, and that you cannot change them.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Penalties seem to be arbitrary. My brother was murdered by his girlfriend, she stabbed him and confessed when the police arrived. I go to her sentencing July 6th. The prosecutor tells me she will probably get 4-6 years with 1.5 years credit for time served. 4-6 years for murder? Our justice system is pathetic.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Penalties seem to be arbitrary. My brother was murdered by his girlfriend, she stabbed him and confessed when the police arrived. I go to her sentencing July 6th. The prosecutor tells me she will probably get 4-6 years with 1.5 years credit for time served. 4-6 years for murder? Our justice system is pathetic.

Sorry for your loss. What country are you in btw?

And btw the girl should get at least 20 years in jail, though I don't know the circumstances.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

It's not right, but typically women get off easy when they break the law.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by damwel

It's not right, but typically women get off easy when they break the law.

Yup.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Way too soft!

Mass murder: Life in the supermax

BS! If you are guilty of mass murder: Red is positive, black is negative!

Arson: 25 years to life

This one seems about right, as long a no one was injured or killed. If someone was, double it.

Murder: 25 years to life

Life without parole! You gave up the right to have your own life (freedom) the second you took the life of someone else!

Rape: 5 years to life

Add 20 years to that! Why should you get your life back sooner, your victim(s) will never get their lives back completely!

Child Molestation: 10 years to life

Refer to murder. The victims of this crime are scarred for life.

Theft: up to 1 year

Petty theft, yes. Theft with violence, 10 years seems more appropriate.

Corporate fraud: 25 years to life

This one is overkill, however. Funny that you feel that a common thief only deserves 1 year, but a corporate thief deserves the same punishment as a murderer. Again, 10 years seems appropriate.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What a disgusting example of where our mindset is as a country. 5 years for rape, 10 for child molestation, 25 for corporate fraud?

So basically, it is less of a crime to destroy a child's life or ruin a person than it is to steal some money.
yikes.

[edit on 6/12/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
What a disgusting example of where our mindset is as a country. 5 years for rape, 25 for corporate fraud?

yikes.

A rapist screws one person over. A corporate fraudster is the scum of the earth and screws over hundreds or thousands.

I'm not talking like people who con others out of $10,000. I'm talking like BILLIONS.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

What a disgusting example of where our mindset is as a country. 5 years for rape, 25 for corporate fraud?

yikes.

A rapist screws one person over. A corporate fraudster is the scum of the earth and screws over hundreds or thousands.

I'm not talking like people who con others out of $10,000. I'm talking like BILLIONS.

I still find it disgusting. Raping a woman or molesting a child are two of the most heinous crimes that can be committed.

Sad.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

yikes.

I still find it disgusting. Raping a woman or molesting a child are two of the most heinous crimes that can be committed.

Sad.

Worse than screwing over the lives of thousands of people? Taking away everything they own and possibly driving them to suicide?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

yikes.

Sad.

Worse than screwing over the lives of thousands of people? Taking away everything they own and possibly driving them to suicide?

Taking away someones money is bad, but can be recovered from. Many victims of child molestation and rape are NEVER the same, and many spend their lives with mental issues because of it.

It's the perfect example of Materialism over people.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Taking away someones money is bad, but can be recovered from. Many victims of child molestation and rape are NEVER the same, and many spend their lives with mental issues because of it.

In today's world though, your quality of life is so based around your money.

And who ever said victims of sex crimes can't recover/are the living dead? Don't you think there's hope for them?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

So what you are saying is that you would rather have me rape your kid than embezzle your money?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

And who ever said victims of sex crimes can't recover/are the living dead? Don't you think there's hope for them?

I guess that's my point. We worry more about status than well being. Any one of us could go off the grid and make it just fine.

Victims of rape often can recover, but many are never the same person after. Victims of child molestation are scarred for their entire lives. they NEVER adjust. They arent the walking dead, but they are damaged.

If you haven't had any experience with child abuse victims, I suggest you go volunteer a saturday at a shelter. You will see these trajedies right before your eyes.

I work with children like this every day. There is no coming completely back from it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

So what you are saying is that you would rather have me rape your kid than embezzle your money?

No! What I'm saying is corporate fraudsters destroy thousands of people's lives.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I guess that's my point. We worry more about status than well being. Any one of us could go off the grid and make it just fine.

Victims of rape often can recover, but many are never the same person after. Victims of child molestation are scarred for their entire lives. they NEVER adjust. They arent the walking dead, but they are damaged.

If you haven't had any experience with child abuse victims, I suggest you go volunteer a saturday at a shelter. You will see these trajedies right before your eyes.

I work with children like this every day. There is no coming completely back from it.

Okay, I agree that it's worse to molest a child than to screw a person over financially.

But don't you think the crimes of Bernie Madoff and the others like him who weren't punished are of a grander scale than the losers they catch on Dateline with Chris Hansen?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

No! What I'm saying is corporate fraudsters destroy thousands of people's lives.

No, they destroy their financial life. Rapists and child molestors destroy REAL lives.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Okay, I agree that it's worse to molest a child than to screw a person over financially.

But don't you think the crimes of Bernie Madoff and the others like him who weren't punished are of a grander scale than the losers they catch on Dateline with Chris Hansen?

I dont even know who that is-I'm assumiing it's one of those "To Catch a Predator" shows(I dont watch tv)?

Yes, Bernie Maddoff and people of that nature dese4rve to be jailed, but that isnt even the same sports as child molestation.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

No, they destroy their financial life. Rapists and child molestors destroy REAL lives.

But sometimes they do destroy real lives. People kill themselves over it.

They can lose their homes, their spouses, their way of life ... it is very much a damage in a way similar (though different) to victims of sex crimes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join