It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Saturn Rings Photo - Doing the Wave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

New Saturn Rings Photo - Doing the Wave

tiny.cc

Holy Haleakala!

The thing is, it’s not just another gorgeous picture. This image — from Cassini, of course — is truly remarkable.

The first thing you should know is that Saturn’s rings are incredibly flat. If you scaled them down to the size of a piece of paper, they’d actually be far thinner than a single sheet of that paper. In fact, even though they’re about 200,000 kilometers across, they are only at most a few dozen meters thick!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hi,
I've been looking to see if this was already linked, so if it has a thread please notify me. In the meanwhile, go check out this amazing photo from the Discovery website. Amazing, indeed!

John Weiss — Cassini astronomer – was the lead author on a paper about this:

"We thought that this vertical structure was pretty neat when we first saw it in our simulations, but it’s a million times cooler to have your theory supported by such gorgeous images. It makes you suspect you might be doing something right."

Link includes two fresh Cassini pix.

tiny.cc
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chetinglendalevillage

Absolutely amazing ... I always assumed that the ring structure was quite uniform and unchanging but as we can see from this pic that the rings can and do get altered ... you learn something new every day !

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chetinglendalevillage

Thank you Chet!

Universe is Beautiful!!

Heaven Artwork all the time uplift our Mind and Soul !

S/F for you.

Peace,
Happy

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Amazing... thank you so much for putting that link up. I would love to know what the view of the rings look like from that moon... are they visible?

top topics

join