It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen with 47 IQ gets 100 years in sex abuse case

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If his IQ has been confirmed then he will not go to prison. They can sentence him for any number of years and it won't matter. He will end up in the Mentally Retarded Defendants Program, where he will be placed in what is basically a high-security group home. It's like a jail for people with mental retardation.

The bottom line: Once one enters the MRDP the number of years of one's sentence is irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
^

So it's okay if they violate a non-"innocent"/young human life, you will pay their bill in that case?

It's not like I'm personally paying to keep them alive. Of course I wouldn't do that if they handed the bill to ME.

And they couldn't hurt the guards if the security was good enough and they were put in solitary.

Revenge is not the answer. Ever.

Does it suck we have to pay money to keep them alive? Of course. But we definitely should.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
look i have two kids, so i know what im talking about here

if someone harmed one of my kids in this manner, id be their judge jury and executioner

you think id allow the government to place them in a protective cage to be safe for decades?

someone kills/rapes my kids they will only know 1 law

the law of the jungle

[edit on 12-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

It is not revenge. It is justice. You choose to take someone's life, your life will be taken. Simple.

As for not footing the bill . . . if you pay taxes, you are footing the damn bill. Period.

BTW: Fast Forward to the 1:00 mark

vids.myspace.com...

[edit on 12/6/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

As for not footing the bill . . . if you pay taxes, you are footing the damn bill. Period.

well, If he/she is on welfare, than they aren't paying anything

i am not saying anyone is or is not, but i do expect that kind of talk from a welfare junkie "im not paying for it!"

yet expects all of us to foot the bill...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
OMG, I am so outraged I couldn't finish the article!

I have an adult child who has a form of autism and her IQ is 72, there is no way that any person with an IQ of 47 can in any way be held accountable to a criminal code in this way. What the hell is wrong with Texas, they put the mentally disabled to death, they deny DNA evidence in cases because of a statue, and now this!

If any state in this union has some real bad karma it is this one. Shame on you judge, shame on any system that would do this to a mentally retarded adult.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
regardless of how "smart" one is, if they are a part of a society , if they do the crime they must do the time. If laws start giving way to certain excuses such as low intelligence, than that would be labeling one human being more beneficial than another human.

A human is a human, and if humans have laws, than we might as well stick with them , even if ones IQ is below a hundred.

I say a law is a law and keep it that way ! Call me insensitive and call me an A*&h%&*# , yet ponder on the societal benefits.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
If you are saying that mentally disabled people should not be in prison then the prison's would be empty.I am also not sure that intelligence is important in moral questions.I personally believe all child molesters should be hung in a public square.What kind of society does not protect the innocent?God bless Texas!

If the boy had been fondled by a 7 year old boy, would you hang the boy who fondled him in a public square?

If an adult, through no fault of his own, only has the intelligence of of a seven year old boy, should he be hung in a public square for feeling up a child?

If you say yes and are typical of Texans, then I say God help Texas.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Great! That means we kill the murderers!

Saves money vs keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives.

Maybe some states *ahem*California*ahem* should take a hint

Perhaps you should compare the total cost of capital punishment with the cost of life imprisonment.

Los Angeles Times Study Finds California Spends $250 Million per Execution (2005)

The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.

The cost of a system in which the number of death-eligible crimes was significantly narrowed would be $130 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

www.deathpenalty.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13
BTW, if an 18 yo is that incapacitated, who was watching him? THEY should go to prison for neglect.

As the (single) parent of a young man with a similar IQ, I can tell you it's impossible to watch him all the time.

What's more, it's also not the best thing for the young man concerned.

Like my son, most adults in this IQ range are trained to take themselves to a sheltered workshop and back each day. Parents of handicapped adults have to earn a living, shop, cook and clean, just like parents of normal adults. Parents also have to teach their children independence. I'm not going to live forever, (I have a degenerative heart disease,) so I have to send my son out to buy food and clothing and pay bills on his own, so he can survive without me.

Once, 10 years ago, my son held a small dinner knife to a neighbour's throat. Luckily for me the neighbour was very understanding and talked sense into my son and got him to put the knife away and go home. Another time he got frustrated when McDonalds wouldn't honour his voucher and started throwing tables around. Luckily a stranger stepped in and took care of him until he was calm and put him on a train home.

I will always be grateful to these people for their forbearance. Without their patience police could have been called and my son shot. Instead he's learned better self control, and now can be trusted out on his own.

I am so glad we don't live in Texas.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
...texas is getting tough on pedophiles and i say better late than never... i dont have a problem with the paris tx case - a low IQ excuses nothing... the child that was sexually assaulted will never be the same again... who he was before is forever gone... he may, with proper therapy, be able to move past this and have a healthy mindset but theres no guarantees on such things...

...the whiners dont give a hoot about the sexually assaulted kid but they want the world to stop because an idiot committed a crime and got treated like a normal citizen... those who don't want the low IQ male adult to be incarcerated should petitition the state of texas for permission to let him live with them for the rest of his life and they'll, of course, agree to take 100% responsibility for anything and everything he does...

...heres a link to another texas case concerning pedophilia / sexual assault that was just decided and this ruling suits me just fine too...

Five Life Sentences

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Wanna lower the costs? Cut out the Lawyer crap.

Drop the number of appeals, and serve justice quickly. Not 10-15 years later.

The cost to execute someone: $90 for the lethal injection drugs

The cost of lifetime imprisonment: ~$30k per year.

[edit on 13/6/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The sad fact of almost all crime and punishment and criminal justice is that if his IQ was 147, not 47 he probably wouldn't have gotten caught.

The worst criminals and the greatest threats are the ones that will never be captured.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

And have even more innocent people executed?

I guess you could make it even cheaper by cutting out court altogether.

Some people prefer their trees decorated with strange fruit.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

With all the advances in Technology? Seriously?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Some of you on here are from another century. How in god's name can any of you say that a person with the capacity of a child deserves prison or worse for this.

If DENY IGNORANCE is the theme of this site, then a whole lot of you need to be on some other site where ignorance is the norm!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Okay, the shear ignorance shown in this thread has got me shaking my head in disbelief.

First off, Donnie Darko, where do you get off? You obviously have no prior knowledge of the subject of Texas Criminal Law, all your comments are seeded with so much ignorance it is astounding. I suggest before you go comment about something you have no understanding of, that you go research it to its fullest extent and then make intelligent and insightful posts. Right now you're not looking so hot with your responses. I read this entire thread and when you didnt make a generalized comment about how bad Texas Justice system is you would go on to insult people with opinions that differ from your own.

Realize that Texas has a whole different culture than your own and you're not going to change it anytime soon. Texans are happy to punish our criminals to the fullest extent of Texas Law, which is the death penalty.

While the charge of 100 years in prison for this young man is harsh in some ways, he received it from a jury of peers and therefore deserves it. Leave it to the lawyers to appeal the conviction for a lesser sentence.

Edit: Grammar

[edit on 6/13/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

lol

So he commits a crime against society, and so society must care for him for the rest of his life?

Fail.

Ahhaha.. Next - a pot fiend burdens you because of idiotic laws. the logic - Kill him, because dont wanna pay for him.

Jesus, you scare me... people who commit a heinous crime deserve severe punishment. But you just wanna kill them.

Saves you money.

Blood lust, nothing less.

[edit on 13/6/2009 by badw0lf]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I have four daughter's. If someone did that to any one of them, I would hunt them down.

Does this tie in with why you are no longer an LEO?

Whilst I agree, I too would hunt down bastards who assault any member of my family, but I know what I would do would be wrong.

There is a special place in my soul for that wrong. One that only god and myself know of. Humanity would put me to death for it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

lol

So he commits a crime against society, and so society must care for him for the rest of his life?

Fail.

Ahhaha.. Next - a pot fiend burdens you because of idiotic laws. the logic - Kill him, because dont wanna pay for him.

Jesus, you scare me... people who commit a heinous crime deserve severe punishment. But you just wanna kill them.

Saves you money.

Blood lust, nothing less.

[edit on 13/6/2009 by badw0lf]

Err . . . no?

I agree with most of Texas law. Thanks for asking!

Originally posted by badw0lf

I have four daughter's. If someone did that to any one of them, I would hunt them down.

Does this tie in with why you are no longer an LEO?

Whilst I agree, I too would hunt down bastards who assault any member of my family, but I know what I would do would be wrong.

There is a special place in my soul for that wrong. One that only god and myself know of. Humanity would put me to death for it.

Not at all. Nice try at an insulting snipe though

Wrong on who's level? Even God says an eye for an eye.

If I knew without a doubt that said person did anything to my little girls, he would be hunted down and killed. No jury in TX would even think about convicting me. I guarantee that, as it has happened a few times here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join