It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen with 47 IQ gets 100 years in sex abuse case

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wclv13

i agree with you. was not trying to send the kid up the river so to speak. i have an 18 year old autistic son and both my wife and i keep a close eye on him. he is innocent and does not know. that these people could hand down a sentence like this is disgusting. i do think that it does have to do a littl with the fact that it was a boy by another boy for the long time. just a little.

as to who was watching him, who knows? maybe this was his first time? maybe he never did this before? maybe he was just being curious like a five year old would be? we keep a close eye on our son for other reasons. how ever, there are times when one just can't watch every second. were these people watching this boy for his parents and did this boy ever do this before? if not, they probably thought it was safe to leave the alone for a few moments. mentally, they are the same age and expected nothing untowards would occur. just a thought from one who is a parent.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
reply to post by Donnie Darko

What facts do you have to base this claim off of? You have none and you know you have none.

Ouch! It's just common sense Texas has a corrupt justice system relative to other states. I mean no offense to Texans, they're just as good or bad as anyone else I'm sure.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Texas is the leader in the death penalty. I gotta go, but really this is a known fact. Google death penalty statistics in the USA and you will see it.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Yes the sentence was excessive. Yes the judge needs to be fired and his legal license revoked permanently. But every state has a corrupt legal system. This sort of thing happens everywhere.

But again, this has nothing to do with it being in Texas. This sort of thing could happen in any state and you know that. There is no evidence so far to show that this sentence has anything to do with him being mentally disabled or the fact that it was two boys. So to mention that is pure speculation based on a stereotype.

reply to post by wclv13

What does the death penalty have to do with this?

I'll say it again, I'm not defending this sentence. I think it is beyond excessive. I don't think this kid should serve any prison time. But you people making assumptions on the entire state of Texas because of this one judge is completely ignorant.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I just don't call things equal if they're not.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Okay, well, it's obvious you're just trolling then.

If you'd like to discuss the sentence and what should be done about it, I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you. But if this thread is just being used to express your personal distaste for a state, then I have nothing else to say to you.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13
reply to post by Dreamer420

You did see this was in Texas right?

I did a cross country trip 15 years ago, and purposefully avoided that huge "state".

Don't insult the great state of Texas. At least when someone kills another person in our state we kill them back.

I find your words to be founded in idiocy and ignorance.

Edit: I would like to add that your words have no place here! Go learn to deny ignorance before you open your trap.

GAH!

[edit on 6/12/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Really? Do you have proof of this, or are you just spouting BS?

reply to post by wclv13

Great! That means we kill the murderers!

Saves money vs keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives.

Maybe some states *ahem*California*ahem* should take a hint

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

sorry, you are correct and i did not mean to offend. bad judgemnets do happen in all places.

you are the state that had know problem with executing people who are mentally disabled how ever. that is a truth about your state sad to say. that is why i made the statement that i did.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I opened the article link with the expectation of some mention of placement at a mental hospital. I'm really at a loss for words--prison? An IQ of 47 suggests an intellect in line with a child of less than 8 (I'm basing this on a few documents I was able to find, citing higher IQ levels as representative of a child of 8). He will ostensibly be sent to a typical Texas state prison if an appeal fails. Can you imagine a small child in a prison? He will be destroyed.

Jurors said they sent the judge notes during deliberations in February, asking about alternatives to prison, but didn't get a clear answer.
This single detail sounds like it has the potential to compel a mistrial.

I'm also bemused by the judge's statement of, "In the state of Texas, there isn't a whole lot you can do with somebody like him." Since when? I was raised in Texas and I recall the state having several state hospitals, often housing the "criminally insane". What disqualifies this defendant? He is so obviously beyond the bounds of the prison system and can only rightfully be placed in a mental facility. The statement is just absurd to me. Granted, Texas state law is not something I've ever been keen to immerse myself in the study of
, but this strikes me as false. I know they've imprisoned criminals (violent ones at that) who failed mental competency evaluations.

Just an astonishing finding all around. I don't know what else to say.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Okay, well, it's obvious you're just trolling then.

If you'd like to discuss the sentence and what should be done about it, I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you. But if this thread is just being used to express your personal distaste for a state, then I have nothing else to say to you.

I'm not trolling. But I'm just saying this happens in Texas way more than it happens in say North Dakota.

I'm sorry if I offend.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Great! That means we kill the murderers!

Saves money vs keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives.

Maybe some states *ahem*California*ahem* should take a hint

there's better ways to save tax money. it's not like killing people is the only way to save wealth.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Originally posted by wclv13
reply to post by Dreamer420

Don't insult the great state of Texas. At least when someone kills another person in our state we kill them back.

GAH!

[edit on 6/12/2009 by Tentickles]

So it's great to act reactively?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If you are saying that mentally disabled people should not be in prison then the prison's would be empty.I am also not sure that intelligence is important in moral questions.I personally believe all child molesters should be hung in a public square.What kind of society does not protect the innocent?God bless Texas!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

As an ex-police officer in Texas, I can tell you that the judge is full of #.

Just in my area alone, we have two mental health facilities, and another that is a short two hours away . . .

I am sure that there is at least one near Paris, TX . . . and there are quite a few in the DFW metro area.

Edit:
Hmm . . . google:

Dallas MetroCare Services
Denton County MHMR Center
LifePath Systems
Tarrant County MHMR Community Center
MHMR Services of Texoma

[edit on 12/6/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
If you are saying that mentally disabled people should not be in prison then the prison's would be empty.I am also not sure that intelligence is important in moral questions.I personally believe all child molesters should be hung in a public square.What kind of society does not protect the innocent?God bless Texas!

KILL EM ALL! KILL EM ALL! FOR THE CHILDREN!

*sarcasm*

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Now look at TX population to ND population.

So . . . instead of killing murderers . . . what way do you suppose we should punish them?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Now look at TX population to ND population.

So . . . instead of killing murderers . . . what way do you suppose we should punish them?

Life in prison of course.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I personally like Texas Justice! And don't think this kid(and that is what he is) will truly be sentenced to prison. This case will be appealed, and that appellate judge will greatly reduce the sentence if he doesn't throw it out completely. He will probably be sent to some sort of group home where he can be monitored constantly.
Texans aren't barbaric. But some of their judges harken back to to the days of Judge Parker, who, by the way, practiced his particular form of justice in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Now let me tell you, us Razorbacks know what to do with criminals. (But we take care of the retarded ones.) I know "retarded" is not potically correct, and further more, my dear, I don't gived a Damn!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

lol

So he commits a crime against society, and so society must care for him for the rest of his life?

Fail.

That is part of what got CA into the financial mess it is in. That and keeping the illegals instead of shipping em back.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join