It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen with 47 IQ gets 100 years in sex abuse case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Teen with 47 IQ gets 100 years in sex abuse case

www.msnbc.msn.com

PARIS, Texas - A teenager who has profound mental disabilities was sentenced to 100 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges in a sex abuse case involving his 6-year-old neighbor.

Aaron Hart, 18, of Paris, was arrested and charged after a neighbor found him fondling her stepson in September. The teen pleaded guilty to five counts, including aggravated sexual assault and indecency by contact, and a jury decided his punishment.

Lamar County Judge Eric Clifford decided to stack the sentences against Hart after jurors settled on two five-year terms and three 30-year terms, The Dallas
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
100 years??????????????????

What about that child care worker who slept with 10+ girls under age of 14 and got only 1 year?????

He could have killed the girl and only gotten 25 years in Prison.

What is going on here??????????

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Dreamer420]

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreamer420

You did see this was in Texas right?

I did a cross country trip 15 years ago, and purposefully avoided that huge "state".

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
People have absolutely no mercy when a crime involves a child, but they don't give a crap when it happens to an adult.

I find it shallow and disgusting.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well, we have a criminal justice system that is extremely flawed and needs an overhaul. Im a criminal justice major and I feel strongly about this.

However, you are also dealing with regular ol' citizens who are making judgments. Even OJ got off thanks to the jury. So you can see how having a "jury of your peers" does not always equate "justice".

Lamar County Judge Eric Clifford decided to stack the sentences against Hart after jurors settled on two five-year terms and three 30-year terms

Jurors said they sent the judge notes during deliberations in February, asking about alternatives to prison, but didn't get a clear answer. They believed the judge would order concurrent sentences, jurors said.

Then you are dealing with [some] judges who should not be judges. Note, not all judges are bad. But many need to retire or be "fired".

The system is flawed. Extremely broken. I dont even see it being fixed in my lifetime.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 6/12/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The law is messed up. Here in England, you get more years for stealing money from a post office than sexual assault. Some guy I knew was strapped for money and went into a Post Office with a knife, he flee'd with nothing and got caught, he recieved 6 years in prison for threatening, attempted kidnap (like wtf?) and something else that I can't remember. Another guy around these ways pushed a drunken girl into a bush and doodled her, he got 2 years for sexual assault and pay her £600 (like again... wtf!?)

The whole system is weird, I don't think anyone knows how long you'd get for crimes anymore. That's probably why so many people do things like that, the sentencing is like Monopoly landing on chance INCLUDING the get out of jail free card.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC
The law is messed up. Here in England, you get more years for stealing money from a post office than sexual assault. Some guy I knew was strapped for money and went into a Post Office with a knife, he flee'd with nothing and got caught, he recieved 6 years in prison for threatening, attempted kidnap (like wtf?) and something else that I can't remember. Another guy around these ways pushed a drunken girl into a bush and doodled her, he got 2 years for sexual assault and pay her £600 (like again... wtf!?)

The whole system is weird, I don't think anyone knows how long you'd get for crimes anymore. That's probably why so many people do things like that, the sentencing is like Monopoly landing on chance INCLUDING the get out of jail free card.

Yeah it's totally ridiculous.

I think any kind of theft shouldn't get more than a year in jail. Same with drug possession.

A count of sexual assault should be 5-25 years, and murder should be 25 years-life.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

He should of robbed a bank instead lol

Well chances are he will be institutionalized at a psychiatric hospital if he isn't already there. Not sure though how in this case 100 years is appropriate if all the facts are being reported correctly.

If this was standard practice we wouldn't need a sex offender registry list. Not sure how an adult can get away with a few years and probation. When the MR kid gets 100 years.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious

He should of robbed a bank instead lol

Well chances are he will be institutionalized at a psychiatric hospital if he isn't already there. Not sure though how in this case 100 years is appropriate if all the facts are being reported correctly.

If this was standard practice we wouldn't need a sex offender registry list. Not sure how an adult can get away with a few years and probation. When the MR kid gets 100 years.

So much for Texas justice huh?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

this is texas, remember? they enjoy treating the mentally disabled like this. it also probably has to do with the fact that they were both boys! now if it was a little girl, maybe a slap on the wrist. but we just can't have two boys touching one another! heaven forbid!

seriously, sad that it happened to that six year old. molestation is wrong! this 18 year old has a 47 i.q. probably does not even know that this was wrong. maybe it was even happening to him because of his disability? that a jury could even give a sentence like this is disturbing. real counseling too both should have been the judgement. this 18 year is seriously going to be abused in jail by other inmates and will not be able to defend himself.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Someone help me out here...a 47IQ is, what, about the cognitive level of a 4-5 year old? Is everything in Texas black and white, without shades of gray or nuance...no, the jurors obviously knew this case did not fit into a "law", so they could reason. The judge in this case is not acting with reason, let alone wisdom.

To send someone with a 47IQ to a prison is criminal. If that is "the law" in Texas, Texans need to change it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Someone help me out here...a 47IQ is, what, about the cognitive level of a 4-5 year old? Is everything in Texas black and white, without shades of gray or nuance...no, the jurors obviously knew this case did not fit into a "law", so they could reason. The judge in this case is not acting with reason, let alone wisdom.

To send someone with a 47IQ to a prison is criminal. If that is "the law" in Texas, Texans need to change it.

I hope this makes anyone who admires the Texas justice system think twice.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
100 years for FONDLING? Are you # kidding me?

I'm not excusing what he did - fondling a 6 year old isn't right under any circumstances - but this is a mentally disabled kid who most likely does not know right from wrong or even what he was doing. Legally "sane" adults have sex with underage children and don't get sentences like this.

This is absolutely ridiculous and a clear abuse of power by this judge. He needs to be fired and this kid needs to at least get a new trial.

And lets make no mistake here...he is a "kid". Simply because the law says you are an adult doesn't make it so mentally. Again, that in no way excuses what he did, but lets not act like this is some lonely, perverted, sexual predator in his 50s.

This 6 year old will probably not even remember this five years from now. The right thing to do here would be to get this kid the help he needs, NOT put him in the sex offender database, and let him live the rest of his life out of prison.

This is a completely excessive and ridiculous sentence. It's as simple as that.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

An IQ score that low indicates severe mental retardation. The Texans should have put that into account, but did not. Another lapse in judgment by the "law".

BTW, if an 18 yo is that incapacitated, who was watching him? THEY should go to prison for neglect.

With mental capacity of his, he did not know it was wrong.

But lock him away and throw away the key!!

Disgusting this jury was, just disgusting.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13

You did see this was in Texas right?

I did a cross country trip 15 years ago, and purposefully avoided that huge "state".

ya because being in a specific geographic location directly affects your personality and intelligence?

and no we do not treat mentally disabled people like crap either, there are more facilities and aid for disabled people in texas than anywhere else in the world

you guys are just ignorant and spouting crap you know nothing about

i do agree 100 years is just stupid for what happened, although what he did was extremely unacceptable

maybe something like a few years in a mental institution for evaluation would be acceptable punishment

anyways, Texas is a massive place with thousands of communities from ALL Cultures on earth, indian german chinese korean irish egyptian etc etc

please do not judge a massive multicultural and extremely diverse group with your uneducated bias and misconceptions

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

please do not judge a massive multicultural and extremely diverse group with your uneducated bias and misconceptions

Sure not all Texans think like that. But it is a problem there more than it is in the rest of the United States.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne
this is texas, remember? they enjoy treating the mentally disabled like this. it also probably has to do with the fact that they were both boys!

Don't paint all of Texas with your stereotypical brush. I live in Texas and I don't find this sentence right at all. I'd bet money on it that the majority of people - at least in the Houston area where I live - would find this sentence excessive as well.

Your view of how Texans are is obviously based on absolutely no facts. Of course there are people like you are describing, but I challenge you to find any state or country that does not have people like that.

This has nothing to do with what state it occurred in. The judge was wrong, the jury was wrong, it happens. Excessive sentences occur everywhere.

This sentence needs to be overturned and this kid either put in a mental institution for evaluation or at least given a new trial with a more competent lawyer representing him. He shouldn't face prison time - much less 100 years - for this.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Nope, met many fine Texans.

It is the Law/Government there that I have issues with.

I am not bias towards Texans at all, of any sex/race/religion et al.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

What exactly is a bigger problem in TX then the rest of the country?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

What facts do you have to base this claim off of? You have none and you know you have none.

This topic isn't about this occurring in Texas. How about we discuss the sentence and the "crime" rather than your personal issue with a state?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join