It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N.: Higher prices push hungry over 1 billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

U.N.: Higher prices push hungry over 1 billion

www.msnbc.msn.com

ROME - High food prices have pushed another 105 million people into hunger in the first half of 2009, the head of the U.N. World Food Program said Friday, raising the total number of hungry people to over 1 billion.

Urging rich nations at a meeting of the Group of Eight's development ministers not cut back on aid, Josette Sheeran told Reuters the world faced a "human catastrophe" as more and more people struggle to eat a decent meal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
World Bank warns of social unrest

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The impact of the global economic crisis is spreading and growing. Some nations faced with deficit spending and serious budget issues are considering cuts in foreign humanitarian aid, so this problem can only worsen.

It may not be seen as a major threat in nations of wealth and prosperity, the continued rise in unemployment and loss in incoming revenues could eventually bring similar levels of poverty and starvation to their own lands.

There are no easy answers, apparently the fate of the world's poor is in the hands of the governments of the world now, and if their actions taken to ease the global economic crisis so far are any indication for that future things could get a lot worse.

When extreme poverty and hunger reach into large metropolitan areas following a possible default and breakdown in the government's ability to sustain itself chaos could ensue.

Priorities so far indicate that trillions are being spent to save financial institutions, banks and major industries are a top concern, the people seem to be far down on the spending lists for these monies. So, ultimately if things descend into a worst case scenario we the people should have an idea of where we stand in the order of priorities.

Should the poorest of this planet be left to die in the great effort to save the economy?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
While most people do not really care, or wish to look the other way when the issues of extreme poverty and hunger arise, whilst they feed on the still available food around them. It would be wise to consider the possibility that perhaps a food crisis could reach even into your lives.

There are other contributing factors besides the fact that food prices have increased, such as the price of wheat which has doubled, even tripled in some cases, there has been efforts in the west to produce more bio fuels and that effort has contributed immensely to the food crisis.

Perhaps it is time for the human race to accept natural selection processes of starvation as a method of population reduction?

While the more productive and viable population of the world are a higher priority?

Tough choices, or simply survival of the richest?

"There but for the grace of god go I"

Bon Appétit

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Harsh, but true. It is a poor economic decision to support millions of people in climates that are not conducive to human populations and farming.

I don't want to see anyone starve, and those photos of skin and bone children are heart-wrenching, but after decades this way, why do those populations still exist? They could have migrated, moved, terra-formed, died off, etc..

It doesn't seem like any progress has been made addressing these issues. We simply donate our $0.50 a day and ship rice and beans to them. That is not a long-term solution, and it seems to have cruelly prolonged the suffering.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Nearly everything has been attempted to mitigate the problems of starvation and poverty in the past, however most people seem to have underestimated the impact of the global economic crisis in the recent rise in hunger. The fact that these issues are creeping into nations which once thought of themselves as nearly immune to these third world conditions should stand as a stark warning to those of us who populate these nations.

The reality is despite what the governments tell the public, they are attempting to save a sinking ship carrying the elite first, and if necessary will throw out the less fortunate in the process. When the USA decided to dump billions and even trillions into financial institutions and industries as well as growing government it should have been seen as a sign of just how bad this crisis actually is, the ramifications of these plans have yet to be fully realized. Meanwhile the global population is growing, and the problems with it.

Now, lets play a fun little game here.

What was on your lunch menu today, what did you have, how much did it cost, describe how good or bad the food was, and what if any plans you have for dinner are???

Answer if you dare, I dare you!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I spent $10 on Chinese buffet! Ate more than I should have, and am paying for it this afternoon. Glutonous!

From a sheer calorie intake standpoint. I get at least double what I need in a day, probably closer to triple. If you took 1000 of my calories for each of the starving adults, I could probably feed at least 3 adults from the extra calories that are killing me each day!

At the same time, my family back in Missouri gets money every year from the "Layout" program to NOT grow crops on their land. I forget all the details to this plan, but it has been around a long time. The government pays farmers to not grow corn, wheat, hay, soybeans, or whatever they would have grown!!!!!

It is shameful! We even have starving people here in the US!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Have any of you went round the back of the supermarkets everyday?...god almighty,the amount of things they throw away is just silly.If every supermarket shipped that over it would help ALOT...but no,throw it in the bin and let it rot because its a few hours past sell by date etc...yet perfectly fine to eat for still quite some days.I know fairly rich people that go there before they throw it in the bin and get bags full of stuff for nothing.Crazy...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
...my family back in Missouri gets money every year from the "Layout" program to NOT grow crops on their land. I forget all the details to this plan, but it has been around a long time. The government pays farmers to not grow corn, wheat, hay, soybeans, or whatever they would have grown!!!!!

You took the dare! I appreciate your honesty, I was thinking no one would answer that, actually I really didn't expect anyone to even reply to this thread.

I believe the above is done for several reasons, along with crop rotations it is done to maintain natural nitrogen levels in the soil, also is a way to control prices for crops (supply and demand) wouldn't want prices to go too low and lose profit potential now would they? Of course I could be wrong and someone will post why that is done.

Every day a majority of Americans throw away enough food to save and possibly sustain some of these starving third world families.

I will admit, I too had a large lunch, and was likely far more than my body actually requires.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I lived with my dad before this year, I can say i lost about 20 pounds since i am alone and got to pay the bills and foods. I calculated my budget of food from four years ago when i was with my mom and she gave me money to buy the foods. With about the same money I used then, i get a fourth of what I was able to buy back then. Now, I am always hungry and go past my budget.

Something is wrong, now food that used to cost a dollar take four. Even buying the cheap brand cost like 30 cent less than populars brands. And the salary I get isn't better then what i got before. I understand the inflation of price, it's normal, but food is primary need and it should'nt go as far as it is because we can just grow it, it's not like there is an output limit like petrol. For me 400% is just too much from a few years ago.

new topics

top topics

join