It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krugman Slams Glenn Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh: Right-Wing Extremism "Fed By The Conservative Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Krugman Slams Glenn Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh: Right-Wing Extremism "Fed By The Conservative Media"

www.huffingtonpost.com

Back in April, there was a huge fuss over an internal report by the Department of Homeland Security warning that current conditions resemble those in the early 1990s -- a time marked by an upsurge of right-wing extremism that culminated in the Oklahoma City bombing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
My point of this thread is not whether or not you agree with what the "conservative" news stations are saying, but rather what impact this will have on our constitutional right to freedom of speech.

Will there come a day when our news stations are censored? It's beginning to look like it to me.

My points to ponder:
Whether or not you agree with Republicans, whether or not you think Obama is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I should hope that we can all unite together in the fight to protect our constitution.

I find it disturbing (and that's putting it mildly) that Obama is going all over the world announcing that "we are not in a fight against Islam", that we are in a fight against "extremists and terrorists".

Yet, back at home, all conservatives are being lumped together. What is happening to conservatives is the same as what is/was happening to Muslims -- and it's wrong.

How can we fight the stereotype that ALL Muslims are.... and ALL Jews are.... and ALL Christians are.... when we are encouraging this very type of behavior on our own soil.

I think we should stop bickering over who is right -- who is on the left and who is on the right -- because while we're busy debating, the decision is being made for us.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I shake my head in disbelief everytime somebody posts a link to the left wing hate-site HuffyPost.

Here is what your article says about Palin Supporters:

While her supporters waved watermelon slices and stuffed monkeys

How do you expect to have a serious conversation with that? And this:

One can almost appreciate the horrible honesty of the racists among the McCain-Palin supporters who were able to admit what the others obfuscated: that they didn't want a black man in the White House.

Additionally, please explain to me how the Holocaust shooter was a right wing extremist? He hated Christianity, he hated the Jews, and he hated George W. Bush. Those beliefs would align him more with Left-Wing liberal Extremism and the main stream media than anything conservative.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
After reading the article it seems to me that there is an agenda to tie Conservatives to Terrorists. This is the left's only viable way to hold on to power. I do not believe the Democrats want a 2 party system anymore, they want complete control over everything and everyone and right now they have the entire news media minus the 5 or 6 "right wing extremists" to do their bidding.

Free thinking conservatives or anyone who doesn't agree will soon be the enemies of the state.

Doesn't it seem odd that the more Republicans move to the center, the Democrats move farther to left and at the same time keep saying the Republicans are still too far right?

In today's political climate, I believe the founding fathers would all be labeled terrorists.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The above post is not worth commenting on.

But regarding the thread subject... the hard right and their media spokespeople bend over backwards to avoid accepting responsiblity for the reactions their hate rhetoric promotes.

The same was true back in the 90's... they accused the left aka liberals and Democrats and Clinton of everything from treason to murder none of which was ever proven except that he couldn't keep it in his pants... and the fear mongering they indulged in directly led to the formation of the right wing militas and eventually abortion clinic bombings, the shooting of doctors and ultimately the OK. city bombing.

You cannot spew hate the way they do and expect to remain unsplattered by the blood.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Lord knows the shooter is never at fault for the shooting. It's the gun, then the bullets, then the Saturday morning cartoons he watched as a kid, then the music or host he was listening to on his way to the shooting, etc...

If you jumped off a bridge because somebody suggested doing so would be great fun you deserve to plummet to your death.

You're right. This is just like the 90's. Tanks in the streets and federal agents torching children and shooting mothers in the head blaming it all on the speech and writing of some jackasses on the radio.

Ah, the 90's. Liberties finest period.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I shake my head in disbelief everytime somebody posts a link to the left wing hate-site HuffyPost.

Actually, the original article is from the New York Times. But the headline was better from Huffington Post. The headline from the NYT is: "The Big Hate"

I wanted to draw attention to the thread and didn't think anyone would pay attention to the latter.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
right, left
I hate these words so much

i don't care if my beliefs are right or left
all i care about is what is wrong or right

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I'm personally of the belief that unless you have those "extreme" tendancies to begin with, the words of others are not the catalyst.

Nobody forces anybody to listen to Fox News, or the Huffington Post, or any conservative site.

I believe in live and let live. If you don't like what's on your TV, radio, or computer....TURN IT OFF.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It will have no impact on our freedom of speech.

Free speech does not mean you can't be criticized for saying dumb things

And no doubt he's right, the pump has been primed for these wackos by all the hyperbole coming from the loopy right.

But that's nothing new...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
People who claim that because the recent murders were "committed by people who supported the 9/11 truth movement" then that means "all truthers are murderers" are engaged in a logical fallacy.

Disgruntled persons tend to support anything that goes against the grain.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Symbiote]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Additionally, please explain to me how the Holocaust shooter was a right wing extremist? He hated Christianity, he hated the Jews, and he hated George W. Bush.

The Holocaust shooter hated Catholics, not Christians in general. The shooter was so far to the right, that EVERYTHING was to his left. His thinking aligned himself with Nazism.

America should rightly be shocked by his thinking, not just his actions. Such small minded, hate filled thinking should not be allowed to find a home in America. I would hope that the elderly shooter's ideas are put to rest with his generation's passing. America must not tolerate, must call out, must shame and not elevate, supremest thinking from any group.

It is one thing to engage in debate, the civil exchange of ideas, and quite another to start with the attitude that you are "better than" your opponent, and feel the need to put down, to dominate, to eliminate, the other before debate even starts.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
The above post is not worth commenting on.

But regarding the thread subject... the hard right and their media spokespeople bend over backwards to avoid accepting responsiblity for the reactions their hate rhetoric promotes.

The same was true back in the 90's... they accused the left aka liberals and Democrats and Clinton of everything from treason to murder none of which was ever proven except that he couldn't keep it in his pants... and the fear mongering they indulged in directly led to the formation of the right wing militas and eventually abortion clinic bombings, the shooting of doctors and ultimately the OK. city bombing.

You cannot spew hate the way they do and expect to remain unsplattered by the blood.

The right does not hate, the left hates. They divide class, gender, color, and religion etc. They are all about hate. Clinton was called a murderer because he was. When he sent in the gestapo to rid the nation of the Branch Davidians with fire and death, that was on his head. When he involved himself in a civil war of an ally nation, Serbia, he was both a treasonous and murderous person.

Malitias exist for one reason, to stand against fascist tyranny such as what is coming with Obama. Obama is picking a fight with them and with TV conservatives and Radio talk show hosts etc. Not the other weay around. The only terrorist in the land are the liberal democrats and their delusional leader who thinks he's god. In the end he will come for you and everyone who does not worship at his feet. What will you do them? You'll wish you had those malitia types to defend you and those TV people to expose him.

Malitias have never been a problem. They stay to themselves. From what we were told in the 90's, they would only react if the Constitution is threatened. So only time will tell when they think that time is. As for me, I still hope for just and fair elections to rid the nation of the fascist elite liberals now occupying the nation.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
It will have no impact on our freedom of speech.

Free speech does not mean you can't be criticized for saying dumb things

It's one thing to criticize a person -- it's another to label them as potentially dangerous.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

It's militia, not "malitia".

Read the Constitution, it's in there

And both the left and right hate, hate is a human problem, not one tied to one specific ideology.

Don't be a partisan ninny...

But back on topic, let's be honest - this guy bought all kinds of conspiracy theories, uncritically, hook, line, & sinker, to justify his hatemongering.

So far I've read he was a "truther", a "Obama birth certificate" nut, a Zionist conspiracy goofball (just like every other neo-Nazi) etc. etc...

That doesn't mean everyone who discusses these issues is some Nazi wingnut waiting to go crazy and shoot people, but it does mean we should treat these theories with the same skeptical eye we turn on MSM news reports...

People lie, they lie to themselves mostly, but sometimes consciously just to everyone else - and not just the "PTB" does it, people all have their our own axes to grind.

[edit on 6/12/09 by xmotex]

new topics

top topics

join