It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Most indications suggest the virus is on the decline, after peaking last month. But health officials are preparing for a resurgence in the fall.
Some experts say the WHO's made an unnecessary move to declare H1N1 a pandemic and it will only cause a panic.
"Moving is irresponsible. It's based on a technicality," Ontario public-health physician Richard Schabas told CTV News Channel Thursday.
"Going to level six is not based on good science . . . We're seeing far too mild (conditions) and infections are far too low."
He says that if H1N1 fizzles it will undermine the public's confidence in the WHO's flu system.
Canada has confirmed 2,978 cases of swine flu, most of them mild. Four people have died and another 138 have been hospitalized.
The Public Health Agency's website says the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year. Between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season.