It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece 'would refuse Marble loan'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
lol I’m not talking about items sold by one museum to another, I think I’ve been very clear. The artefacts I’m talking about are no more legitimate than the Elgin marbles. Items like this exist in museums the world over.

When it comes down to it, my opinion on cases such as this is what happened happened, tough luck if it didn’t go your way but that’s the way of the world. If it happens to day I’d be happy to stand by you in your argument but trying to right every perceived wrong from the past, or worse cherry picking the ones you don’t like, is an exercise in futility.

No it wasn’t thousands of years ago but 200 is long enough.

Vox,

If we were talking about a neighbour with a lawnmower, that he took from you on the permission of your ex wife... behaviour like this would warrant a beating, or a lawsuit, or both

If we were talking about a lawnmower someone took from my great, great grandfather then the issue would be moot.

And to repeat what has yet to be addressed;

As I also alluded to, to what extent do we take this? Are items discovered through foreign funds and labour ok or do they have to be returned? From a moral stand point are conquered territories subject to this stance? If so, I come back to whether we can have America back (before we give the relevant parts to the natives of course, but then again who exactly do we count as native?).

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Items sold are actually items of exchange. But to point out they are not mine nor do i represent them or am associated with them. However it is interesting to note that the admission fee to the Athens museum is only 1 euro. That should in itself mention which board members are more interested in money and which are interested in culture.

But i guess like in the many cases involving Italy, Egypt, Russia and Greece, eventually they do end up to their rightful owners.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If the British had any class, they would vow to return the plundered Greek riches during the opening ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics. This would be the ultimate sign of good will to man and respect for civilization. But since we're living in times of incredible greed and selfishness, don't expect such a grand gesture from people who are incapable of such kindness and understanding.

"If you disagree, can we have America back please?"

It's all yours. Both the UK and the USA have become insufferable police states, so neither nation is worth spit. In fact, they both deserve each other. You can have America and all its overwhelming problems - just give back the Greek stuff.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Elgin Marble Argument in a New Light

Not long before the new Acropolis Museum opened last weekend, the writer Christopher Hitchens hailed in this newspaper what he called the death of an argument.
Britain used to say that Athens had no adequate place to put the Elgin Marbles, the more than half of the Parthenon frieze, metopes and pediments that Lord Elgin spirited off when he was ambassador to the Ottoman Empire two centuries ago. Since 1816 they have been prizes of the British Museum. Meanwhile, Greeks had to make do with the leftovers, housed in a ramshackle museum built in 1874.

So the new museum that Bernard Tschumi, the Swiss-born architect, has devised near the base of the Acropolis is a $200 million, 226,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art rebuttal to Britain’s argument.

www.nytimes.com...

It will be interesting to see just how much further this claim from the British Museum will stand. Although theories reports have surfaced indicating that they might be handed over before 2010 and that the museum is seeking to find what could be show cased when the marble are returned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join